PDA

View Full Version : which poncho with rain chaps

4x4roar
04-16-2011, 22:59
I've been looking at different ways to lighten my gain gear.the cuben rain chaps are pretty cool, but all the ponchos I have looked at don't seem to cover past the elbows. Are there cuben or really light sil nylon ponchos that give better coverage on the arms? I don't need to use it as a tarp just as raingear. Thanks, oh if you have other ideas to pair with the rain chaps let me know.

Duff
04-16-2011, 23:32
The Packa by CedarTreeI also was wanting to lighten my load, but wasn't as eager to give up full rain protection. I changed from Marmot Precip pants and jacket, along with a Gregory packcover and went to the Packa and Mountain Laurel Design rain chaps. I don't recall the exact weight savings, but it made me happy The added bonus was I don't get wet shoulder straps or the rain between pack and jacket back.

4x4roar
04-17-2011, 12:53
I've looked at the packa alot, it seems like it would be good while I was hiking but I don't care for the idea of having to remove my raingear to get to my pack. I like my military issue poncho because it gives great coverage, just wish it was lighter.

4x4roar
04-18-2011, 14:04
Does anyone have any experience with the anti gravity gear poncho? Looks like this one has full coverage for the arms.

88BlueGT
04-18-2011, 15:39
I also use the Packa and I LOVE it (also doubles as a pretty comfortable pillow). Along with the packa I use a pair of equinox chaps. I have not gotten the chance to use them yet though, even though I have walked around in my house w them a few times :D

4x4roar
04-18-2011, 20:13
Maybe I should look a little closer at the packa. Does it cover down to the chaps?

88BlueGT
04-18-2011, 20:31
Yes it does.

R00K
04-25-2011, 20:39
Does anyone have any experience with the anti gravity gear poncho? Looks like this one has full coverage for the arms.

+1 - also curious.

tat44too
04-25-2011, 20:49
I use "The Packa" also...

4x4roar
04-25-2011, 21:25
Well I got my anti gravity gear poncho today. It's not exactly what I planned. It is a great poncho, very well made. But not large enough to cover my osprey exos. It should be perfect for day hikes with a small pack or hiking/ fishing trips where there is a chance of rain, but not for me on a thru. So after the praise the packa received and looking at it alot I'll be ordering one tomorrow. Thanks for the replies. I'll let ya know what I think about it when it comes in.

4x4roar
05-07-2011, 01:00
Got my packa yesterday and it's great. The best hood design I've tried. The plastic bill works perfectly and peripheral vision is excellent. I really like the tail piece in the back, gives coverage down to the back of my knees. Plenty breathable,and once its on the pack as a cover putting it on and taking it off as a rain or wind jacket is way easier than I ever thought it would be. Can ya tell im a fan?:) thanks cedar tree, awesome product.