PDA

View Full Version : Golite gust modification advice

Hojicha
04-17-2011, 00:07
I have a golite gust aka "the grocery bag" http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/images/goliteclimbingpack.jpg backpack that I plan on using for a 2011 NOBO of the AT. With the back pad removed it weighs around 18oz but it still feels like a 4600cc grocery sack. Could someone recommend a way to modify it so that it doesn't feel so big and wide when carried? Perhaps there's a way to add a lightweight compression system? How about better ways to store things outside the pack (water bottles, wet tarps, etc.)? Does anyone have pics of their modified gust they would share?

Are there any better alternatives to this backpack that could be picked up within 2 weeks? I'm able to fill this pack with my down bag and 3/4 thermarest, but I'm sure I could go smaller. Thanks.

maybe clem
04-17-2011, 01:28
I didn't mod it but I used my Z-rest in place of the pad to give it structure. I started with the Z-rest then filled the rest of the pack: sleeping bag and extra clothes on the bottom, then toiletries and food, tent, snacks and day stuff on top. Platypus right against the Z-rest on the top. I never have to store anything outside the pack. It takes some practice to find a system that works but it's worth it.

Did you buy a Gust recently? Where did you find it?

maybe clem
04-17-2011, 01:28
I didn't mod it but I used my Z-rest in place of the pad to give it structure. I started with the Z-rest then filled the rest of the pack: sleeping bag and extra clothes on the bottom, then toiletries and food, tent, snacks and day stuff on top. Platypus right against the Z-rest on the top. I never have to store anything outside the pack. It takes some practice to find a system that works but it's worth it.

Hojicha
04-17-2011, 05:29

I picked it up 11 years ago. I tried finding something comparable but smaller (light weight and with a hipbelt), but have had little luck. That's why I'm looking for ideas to shrink it a little. I figure that I can move the top buckle further down the back of the pack to compress it more vertically but compressing it horizontally seems a bit more challenging. There are small loops which could be used to create some sort of ladder compression, but that setup would render the rear storage pocket unusable.

Hojicha
04-17-2011, 05:35

Your right about finding a system. This is what I've done: 3/4 thermarest forms a cylinder, sleeping bag stuffed in first, heavy stuff goes in last. It's just that a lot of the pack's size when packed comes from the uncompressed sleeping bag. It would be nice to squeeze some of that air out giving the pack a slimmer profile. Thanks.

Hojicha
04-17-2011, 05:37
Edit:---------------
You're right about finding a system.

Rick Hancock
04-17-2011, 06:30
Don't know if this will help you or not. I have a Golite Peak 2200 cu. in. large main pack body, good sized front pocket. Weighs 1lb. 10 oz. feels a lot lighter than that! I put my thermarest in first to give it some body with the valve open, then sleeping quilt and other gear. Front pocket holds rain jacket, tarp, snacks, items I might need quickly. It has a capacity of 20-25 lbs and with some planning could carry 4 days of food. 2 stretch side pockets for water bottles (Mt Dew type) are best. I removed the waist belt and it rides very well on me. Nice pack for the money, got mine for less than $100. You can't bring the kitchen sink with this pack but with some planning it might be a good choice and the price is right.

Rocket Jones
04-17-2011, 09:16
It's just that a lot of the pack's size when packed comes from the uncompressed sleeping bag. It would be nice to squeeze some of that air out giving the pack a slimmer profile. Thanks.

How about putting a trash compactor bag into the bottom first, and then stuffing the sleeping bag into that. When it's in, compress and close. I use the bunch-and-fold "candy cane" closure for mine, secured with a lady's hair tie (stronger than a rubber band).

Two Tents
04-17-2011, 10:32
How about a light fanny pack buckled around the problem area. Then you'd have it for town and around camp. I do this on most of my trips. I have a few different ones(sizes) for different trips. Just be sure of the buckle. Good Will or the Salavation Army usually has a few in the purse section. I am always checking to see if I can get a better one (lighter weight). Again watch that the buckle is stout. If you use it as a compression strap device(problem bulge area) once you get the thing adjusted for size it will work each time without having to re adjust. Or ya could probably just modify it so you didn't need it to wear and have it for a dedicated compression rig. I been know to use two in stack fashion for extra storage and compression. I am kind of old school in that I miss all the different size pockets my old external frames used to have.