PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please - Integral Designs eVENT Thru Hiker Jacket

jerseydave
04-17-2011, 09:00
I'm tired of buying one jacket after another, trying to save some cash while at the same time snagging that "perfect" do all top layer.

I'm going to save up some money this year and dump it all at once on a outer layer that will hopefully do the following:

Serve as a waterproof rain jacket
Breath somewhat well so condensation/perspiration isn't a huge issue
Pack somewhat small

I'd like: hood, adjustable cuffs, a bit longer tail length, usable well thought out pockets, to stay under $300 (under $200 would be nicer)

I'm looking at the Integral Designs eVent Thru Hiker Jacket (http://www.prolitegear.com/integral_designs_event_thru_hiker_jacket.html)
as a possibility but would like some feedback and reviews from actual users if possible.

Anyone own this jacket and if so, your thoughts please.

Anyone own something similar they'd like to comment on?

Thanks,

jd

springerfever
04-17-2011, 09:29
You might have a hard time finding this jacket in your size. Integral designs, a Canadian company has been bought out by RAB, if I'm not mistaken.

I have a couple of items from I.D. and have been very pleased with quality/design. Event is one of the best fabrics available for breathability, durability and weight.

You might look at the REI lineup of Event jackets also...less money.

jerseydave
04-17-2011, 10:35
You might have a hard time finding this jacket in your size. Integral designs, a Canadian company has been bought out by RAB, if I'm not mistaken.

I have a couple of items from I.D. and have been very pleased with quality/design. Event is one of the best fabrics available for breathability, durability and weight.

You might look at the REI lineup of Event jackets also...less money.

Sadly, I see you may be right about the change in owners....... I'm not exactly up on all that stuff. Guess the search will continue.

Snowleopard
04-17-2011, 12:10

I heard that also, though neither website has news about it; maybe they just bought the clothing line. Integral designs website no longer has event parkas listed; perhaps these ID parkas will show up on closeout (or disappear).

I got a Rab Alpine Latok event parka and I really like it so far, very well designed and well made. If you can get a deal on it I'd recommend it. There is also a Rab Demand pull-on (anorak) that seems very similar and is lighter (10oz vs 16 oz). I usually take a medium but needed a large for layering. The arms are long, which has pluses and minuses.

trailangelbronco
04-17-2011, 13:10
I bought the Mountain Hardware Epic for $79.00 from Sierra Trading post, online.

It is light, keeps me dry, breathes well and has pit zips...

WhoDey
04-17-2011, 13:58
The ID eVent jacket is made by RAB and it is called the Demand Pull-On.
http://us.rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/shell/demand-pull-on.html

Also here is a review of it.http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/integral_designs_pullover_review.html?id=p2RW6BIM: 67.9.10.134

One thing to keep in mind is that the hood is designed to fit over a climbing helmet

Dogwood
04-17-2011, 15:15
I find RAB, a British company, to be increasing their dealer reps and marketing presence here in the states so it's not that hard to find this jacket. I like the gear I own from RAB, most notably my 850+ down vest with a Pertex Microlight outer shell. I have no problem maintaining the loft and breathability of this vest with that shell. I would say that vest is my go to down 3 season hiking vest. I could go on about what I like about this and some other RAB products.

I also like some of the products from Integral Designs, most notably their synthetic sleeping bags w/Pertex shells(good for mountaineering and/or wet hiking conditions) and some of their shelters. I don't own the ID eVent Thru-Hiker Jacket though. Not because I don't think it's an excellent product, but, IMO, it just doesn't fit easily into where I typically hike, my hiking style, when I typically hike, or my typical UL kit. I also currently tend to replace gear more often than what it sounds like you plan on doing. The ID eVent Thru-hiker jacket seems quite durable.

This jacket has most of the features you are desiring: adjustable cuffs, a bit longer tail(something many of my UL jackets lack, I think this jacket comes in a Tall or Long version or it used to!), hood, a single out of the way Napolean(breast) pocket although I don't think it has hand pockets, which are important, TO ME, to have, in many of my gear set-ups. It also does not have pit zips, which the manufacturer does not think this jacket absolutely needs because eVent breathes so well. However, the RAB eVent Demand Pull-On does not have the full length chest zip(to save WT) which, IMO, a rain jacket needs for venting, no matter what it's made from!

As you have linked to ProLite, a reputable gear company with EXCELLENT customer service and product lines, located in Bozman Montana, is a RAB(and ID) dealer rep. They carry this jacket at the current sale price of around $190. They currently have in stock, at this sale price, limited sizes though. If they have your size at that price this jacket seems to have the features you want so you might want to grab it!

As far as REI, their Shuksan Event jacket is bomber but too heavy, IMO, for thru-hiking or hiking during typical 3 season hiking, but that, at least in part, depends on where you do your 3 season hiking. It also cost around $300 which puts you in the international market for some of the BEST jackets manufactured with many different features and outer shell materials! REI's Kimtah eVent rainjacket is somewhere around $200-230 has most of the features you desire(including hand pockets) and, IMO, is more in line with hiking.

BTW, since you mention saving some cash, you can purchase suitable hiking rain jackets with all the features you mention you want well under $200, even under $100.

I'll tell you, while I love eVent, as previously noted it's the most breathable shell I know, and I have several pieces of gear utilizing it, IMO, it's not an absolute must to have in a rain jacket or is the only thing that determines how well your rain jacket will breathe and/or how comfortable you will feel while wearing a rain jacket. I also say this because eVent typically commands a higher price point compared to many of the other rain jacket shell fabrics/technology.

You may want to visit Mark Verber's gear review website to see what he has
previewed lately. He usually provides well informed but condensed excellent gear reviews.

map man
04-17-2011, 16:43
I own an Integral Designs eVent jacket and I'm very happy with it. It does indeed breathe very well. It breathes well enough that I can do vigorous hiking without sweat building up inside. Blocks the wind well too. On cold days (down to freezing or slightly colder) I can get by with just a medium-weight long sleeve hiking shirt and this jacket if I keep moving. It's designed to fit tightly so if you are doing much layering underneath keep that in mind when sizing. I wear an Extra Large instead of my usual Large. My Extra Large weighs eleven ounces.

I too see that it is no longer listed at the Integral Designs website, which is too bad. Hopefully, some on-line retailers are still selling back inventory.

Trailbender
04-17-2011, 18:45
I found on my thru that rain gear was for cold weather only. If it is hot and raining, you just get rained on and deal with it.

Dogwood
04-17-2011, 20:29
If it is hot and raining, you just get rained on and deal with it. - Trailbender

I know this works for many AT hikers during their 3 season thru-hikes. It SOMTIMES works for me too. I also know everyone has their own way to hike. That's fine. Not to single you out Trailbender, but when you say you just deal with it does that mean you just hike totally drenched? hike all day drenched? hike with totally drenched shoes on at the same time too? Have you ever thought of a rain jacket as NOT ONLY being used for the rain? for example, wind jacket, extra layer for a bit of warmth, etc?

jerseydave
04-17-2011, 21:40
Thanks for all the detailed info.

Unfortunately I don't think I can find it in the l/xl I need.

Pretty much come up nill in a web search.

Got some thinkin, and saving to do.

Thanks again everyone.

jd

aaronthebugbuffet
04-17-2011, 21:48
Would this work?
http://www.prolitegear.com/westcomb_specter_lt_hoody.html

Dogwood
04-17-2011, 21:49
If your heart was set on that jacket call Mr Bowman at ProLite, tell him you are thru-hiking, and you want that jacket in L/Xl, and see if he can get you one! May cost you the non-sale price though.

Dogwood
04-17-2011, 21:51
That's it Aaronthebugbuffet. It is available in your size. The sale price might be referring to last yr's version, over stock, or something else.

jerseydave
04-18-2011, 05:41
Would this work?
http://www.prolitegear.com/westcomb_specter_lt_hoody.html

Possibly
I thought I might have had it narrowed to one possibility, but since it's not available and I need some time to save the extra $$$ anyway....... I'm sure I'll be confused by many more options.

Thanks
jd

Trailbender
04-18-2011, 13:27
If it is hot and raining, you just get rained on and deal with it. - Trailbender

I know this works for many AT hikers during their 3 season thru-hikes. It SOMTIMES works for me too. I also know everyone has their own way to hike. That's fine. Not to single you out Trailbender, but when you say you just deal with it does that mean you just hike totally drenched? hike all day drenched? hike with totally drenched shoes on at the same time too? Have you ever thought of a rain jacket as NOT ONLY being used for the rain? for example, wind jacket, extra layer for a bit of warmth, etc?

Yep on the drenched part, if I get overheated wearing a rain jacket, it is too hot to wear one. And yes, I do use my rain jacket as a wind jacket and extra layer as well. This came in handy on some of the murderous winds across mountaintops in NH and ME. I always carry a rain jacket, it is a versatile and important piece of gear.

q-tip
04-18-2011, 17:23
Just bought a Marmot Mica--7 oz. - waterproof, breathable, $135--I have 5 jackets now and this is my primary for AT hiking...

Trailbender
04-18-2011, 20:49
I got a rain jacket at Dick's for 40 bucks, I heavily modified it, works great. Not sure on the weight, but it is pretty light.

Cloudynesz
10-12-2011, 14:18
It seems that ID discontinued its clothing product line.

QiWiz
10-12-2011, 16:18
I own an Integral Designs eVent jacket and I'm very happy with it. It does indeed breathe very well. It breathes well enough that I can do vigorous hiking without sweat building up inside. Blocks the wind well too. On cold days (down to freezing or slightly colder) I can get by with just a medium-weight long sleeve hiking shirt and this jacket if I keep moving. It's designed to fit tightly so if you are doing much layering underneath keep that in mind when sizing.

Have the ID eVent jacket and some Rab eVent pants. Best I've found, but in certain conditions (hiking uphill, sweating a lot) you will still pump out more moisture than jacket can let through. Life goes on. Does prevent hypothermia, which is most important reason IMO to have a waterproof layer available in Spring, Fall, or Summer at altitude/northern latitudes. My jacket has only one L chest pocket and pants have no pockets. I would prefer more pockets.