PDA

View Full Version : Fontana shelter for a biker?

humunuku
04-17-2011, 19:47
So y'all think it would be cool if a touring biker (me) stayed one night at the fontana shelter - yes, it's supposed to be for backpackers...but hey, i'm backpacking, i just happen to be riding a bike.

Hikerhead
04-17-2011, 19:48
Sure, I see no problem at all.

Dogwood
04-17-2011, 22:10
It's a pretty big shelter and unless I'm mistaken I see know where that says the shelter is for hikers only.

Last time I stayed at the "Fontana Hilton" there was a touring bicyclist who stayed at the shelter the same night.

I meet many long distance touring bicyclists during my hikes especially out west and mid west. IMO, these folks and long distance hikers have much in common and tend to respect other!

Roll on my long distance traveling amigo.

d.o.c
04-17-2011, 23:12
go for it and dont tke **** from hikers who will probly thnk they are the sole owners of it ha have a nice ride where ever it is ur going.. :)

Trailweaver
04-18-2011, 14:26
I don't think there would be a problem. The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega has tour bikers all the time. Josh and Leigh hike and bike, and welcome everyone. Why wouldn't everyone share?

mweinstone
04-18-2011, 15:05
hi! my name is memory. member the sign at the dam?everyone will be shot on site.lol.

Ox97GaMe
04-18-2011, 19:01
It wont be a problem. There are a lot of folks that car camp at that shelter too. It is a great staging location for people from all over the SE to drive to and spend the night before heading into the Smokies. Ive even used it as a base camp area when doing trail maintenance in the area.

mweinstone
04-18-2011, 19:12
It wont be a problem. There are a lot of folks that car camp at that shelter too. It is a great staging location for people from all over the SE to drive to and spend the night before heading into the Smokies. Ive even used it as a base camp area when doing trail maintenance in the area.

okay, but those arent the rules . at all. i feel if i speak i will be unheard. so i want you to call the park and ask the current rule on non thruhikers staying at fontana dam shelter. and you might ask whats posted . i belive you will learn important rules and more importantly , not to give out info your not sure of unless you made it up witch is fun. but missinforming newbees is serious bad magic. just a heads up hiker.

Tinker
04-18-2011, 19:19
okay, but those arent the rules . at all. i feel if i speak i will be unheard. so i want you to call the park and ask the current rule on non thruhikers staying at fontana dam shelter. and you might ask whats posted . i belive you will learn important rules and more importantly , not to give out info your not sure of unless you made it up witch is fun. but missinforming newbees is serious bad magic. just a heads up hiker.

Matty, I can forgive and overlook your spelling, but please, PLEASE, make friends with your shift key when beginning a sentence. You're the best, bro. Keep caring.:)

sliderule
04-18-2011, 19:21
so i want you to call the park and ask the current rule on non thruhikers staying at fontana dam shelter.

In what "park" do you think the Fontana shelter is located?

Pedaling Fool
04-18-2011, 19:22
We let homeless bums stay in the shelters; I guess we can let a biker:D

SassyWindsor
04-18-2011, 19:24
To my knowledge I don't think there are rules involving the use by bikers or even auto travelers, I'm not sure the length of stay rule applies, as within the GSMNP jurisdiction, since the shelter is really not in the park (not 100% sure on this). Technically, I guess you're doing a really short hike.

Ox97GaMe
04-18-2011, 19:26
Well... IF you call the GSMNP, they will tell you that they dont have jurisdiction at the Fontana Hilton shelter. It is OWNED by TVA.

The shelter is not JUST for thru hikers. Section hikers and weekenders are allowed to stay there too.

But, you can do like mweinstone.... grab a beer, light the pipe, build a big ole bonfire and wait for someone to come ask ya some silly questions. :) If you get thrown in jail, give me a call and I will give you Matty's phone number for bail money. <lol>

The other option... shoot me a PM and I can tell you where there is a GREAT camping spot that is bike accessible and not too far from Fontana. :)

sliderule
04-18-2011, 20:28
Well... IF you call the GSMNP, they will tell you that they dont have jurisdiction at the Fontana Hilton shelter.

Or they might just tell you that there aren't any hotels in the park!!!

Better yet, call 1-800-HILTONS and see if you can make a reservation.

mweinstone
04-18-2011, 21:16
sober 4 months sept for a shot with jack at the warmer. witch i planned months in advance.i only smoke rollys these days. american spirit. ive never made a bondfire in my life but to burn stumps removed from shelter areas and split wood bark from wood chopping.

waasj
05-22-2011, 10:57
I went through there and a bunch of non hiker types were staying there en route to Bonaroo. Probably OK for a bike rider to hang for a night. Might want to contact TVA/GSMNP to be sure though...

Rockhill7
05-16-2012, 20:12
Do you need a reservation with the TVA?

Rasty
05-16-2012, 20:38
Do you need a reservation with the TVA?

No..........