PDA

View Full Version : NOBO thru hike begin mid March 2006 winter conditions?

DavidNH
01-21-2005, 18:04
I am in the initial stages of planning/thinking of beginning a north bound AT thru hike from Amicola Falls State park stating on or around March 20 of 2006. I understand there may still be some "winter" conditions encountered.

My question is..just how cold can I expect it to be and how much snow is one likely to encounter? Would one pack a 200 polar fleece? crampons? I live in New Hampshire so I KNOW What winter is..that is why I don't hike in January!!

What should I expect for weather conditions? How much warm clothing would you recommend I bring?

NH Hiker (David)

Footslogger
01-21-2005, 18:23
The fleece would be a good idea but you don't need the crampons. The month of March in Georgia is pretty crazy, weather-wise. The days have started to warm up a bit the evenings are still pretty cold (near or sub-freezing) in the north GA mountains.

I have set out from Springer on both 3/17 (2001) and 3/29 (2003). I had snow both times on the first night. You can wake up the next morning and be hiking in shorts and a T-shirt and then get snow again that night.

The last really cold weather or snow I had on the trail was in early April. After that things start to warm up and stay nice. Then again ...in 2003 we had rain about 21 out of 30 days in both April and May.

Every year is a bit different but the above is my experience.

'Slogger

MOWGLI
01-21-2005, 18:25
My question is..just how cold can I expect it to be and how much snow is one likely to encounter?

NH Hiker (David)

Check out the following link;

http://friends.backcountry.net/snowmaps/