PDA

View Full Version : Gonna do my first trail run - Mountain Mist.

The Counselor
04-17-2011, 22:26
It's a 50k in Huntsville, Al in Jan. I've done a bunch of marathons but virtually no trail running. I'm looking forward to it. Because of the date, the weather is usually pretty challenging. This will be a big step. Guess I need to go buy some suitable shoes and start mixing some trails into my training.

Has anyone here ever run this race? Insights?

JJJ
04-18-2011, 10:06
I haven't done the race, but have ran some of that trail on Mt Sano. There is some sweet running to be had but also some very rocky sections and moderate climbs.

Phreak
04-18-2011, 10:24
I ran the Mountain Mist a few years back. Dink does a great job coordinating this race and the course is awesome! You'll have a blast!

flemdawg1
04-20-2011, 12:44
I've done the Mckay Hollow Madness HM at Monte Sano. Its a great place for trail running. My race was just after a night of big thunderstorms and the course was really wet. Small streams became thigh deep plunges. Fell alot, but thats part of trail running. cold but exhilerating. Great fun!

andytherunner
05-16-2011, 22:31
I did the race this year and it was a great event. This year the ground was covered in snow over most of the course and it was very cold so every thing stayed frozen most of the day. I ran in The North Face GTX105 and my feet stayed dry all day everybody else I talked to got wet feet right around 23-26 miles.
If there is 1 thing you need to practice for this race it is descending rocky trail quickly. There are lots of down hills with no dirt at all.