PDA

View Full Version : Marmot EOS 1 Experience?

jskinner10
04-17-2011, 22:28
I'm looking into a freestanding, side entry, one person tent and was wondering if anyone had experience with one of these? I'm 6"0' and an MSR Hubba is too narrow for me (shoulders push up against the walls). I'm open to suggestions as to other tents.

nawlunz
04-18-2011, 19:17
I'm looking into a freestanding, side entry, one person tent and was wondering if anyone had experience with one of these? I'm 6"0' and an MSR Hubba is too narrow for me (shoulders push up against the walls). I'm open to suggestions as to other tents.

the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL . It's a nice tent, but I got the UL2 for only me and my gear and wanted something lighter and less hassle to put up.

After looking around, I narrowed it down to the Tarptent Moment and Rainbow...After seeing a Rainbow first hand, it's the one I will purchase. Not a free standing tent unless you use treking poles, but man, for one person, it is VERY spacious.

So, I am going to buy the Tarptent Rainbow

jskinner10
04-18-2011, 19:24
I'm actually thinking about a Rainbow too. Just a little worried how well it will hold up to strong winds/storms. Love to hear from you what you think of it after you take it out a couple times!

jskinner10
04-18-2011, 19:26
Been looking at the TT Moment too btw.

Tinker
04-18-2011, 19:35
The Eos looks like a good one person tent, though the vestibule is not as tall as the tent itself, which I consider to be a design advantage. There is no situation where you appreciate height as that in which you find yourself when you exit the rain and remove your raingear. A tall vestibule is key then. Look at this tent :
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LNNIJK/ref=asc_df_B001LNNIJK1500037?smid=A7QEO1E135RVN&tag=pgmp-1300-95-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B001LNNIJK
and see what you think.
Also: It's not orange :D

jskinner10
04-18-2011, 20:42
I was looking at the SD Lightning XT1, Tinker. Seems like a really nice tent. Has SD stopped making it? It's not on their website anymore and seems to be kinda difficult to find online. Any input on a TT Rainbow 1 or Moment anyone??

Tinker
04-18-2011, 23:25
I have a friend here, Chatter, who has a Moment. I've crawled into it and lay down. It seems to have more elbow room than the REI whatchamacallit (hey, I forget, I'm old). It looks like a very well engineered tent. As with any single walled tent you'll need to wipe the condensation off of the ceiling frequently or in rainstorms the raindrops will knock the moisture that your sweaty body and the humid air have coated it with. That's the nature of single-walled tents. Double walled tents with mosquito canopies keep the moisture from touching you because the netting is a barrier to you touching the "ceiling", or the inside of the fly. Otoh, it makes it very difficult for you to wipe the condensation off. So many things to worry about.........:).

Franco
04-19-2011, 18:45
Now that more TT comments have been made...
The OP comments on shoulder room.
The Hubba floor is a bit narrower than the Eos however the Eos has no headroom. At 5'8" I touch the top sitting on the floor (not even on a mat) .
The Rainbow is much larger, close enogh to a double at floor level, less sitting up but still larger than the others.
The Moment is smaller , but has a good balance between floor and shoulder height/headroom space.
Both the Moment and the Rainbow can take a liner . That adds a top and some side wall so that you will only come into contact with that (or the mesh door) not the silnylon. The liner adds about 4oz to the weight and it is water resistant .
Franco
Moment liner video

http://www.youtube.com/user/francodarioli?feature=mhum#p/u/3/Tj1FsBXr4DQ (http://www.youtube.com/user/francodarioli?feature=mhum#p/u/3/Tj1FsBXr4DQ)

Ol Mole
04-20-2011, 06:52

I have an EOS 1 that I have used for several years. It works well and keep me dry. It is a narrow tent and sometimes I feel as if I am in a coffin. It is light weight and packs well.

Last year I bought a Laser competation from Terra Nova. (I am a tent collector). It has a wider space and has a larger vestibule. It is also a bit easier to get in and out of. Both tents are light weight. If I had to choose one of the other, I would take the Terra Nova. But I am glad I have them both!

Happy trails!

Chubbs4U
04-20-2011, 13:12
I recently went through this, what tent should I get for a 1 person. Back and forth and I ordered a Rainbow and should be here soon. Ill let you know how it is.

jskinner10
04-21-2011, 00:05
Thanks Chubbs. I'm really leaning towards a rainbow.