PDA

View Full Version : When is thru-hiker season in NY?

Dirty Nails
04-18-2011, 01:36
I want to provide a thru-hiker feed/trail magic this summer, when is the best time in New York? I did one last summer, around July 4th, but the turn-out was small. I think it was a little early. If you live near the A/T in NY, when do you see the most hikers?
Also, where is a good spot around the Harriman-Bear Mt. area? I want to pick a spot that logistically fits into the hikers' day.

Newb
04-18-2011, 08:57
I want to provide a thru-hiker feed/trail magic this summer, when is the best time in New York? I did one last summer, around July 4th, but the turn-out was small. I think it was a little early. If you live near the A/T in NY, when do you see the most hikers?
Also, where is a good spot around the Harriman-Bear Mt. area? I want to pick a spot that logistically fits into the hikers' day.

You mean their migratory peak, or when it's legal to hunt them?

stranger
04-18-2011, 09:05
Most hikes leave Springer in March or early April, and Harriman is about 845 miles from Katahdin, the average thru-hike is 5-6 months and most hikers don't get that far in their first month...

I would say that end of June or early July is perfect timing, and for location I've fed hikers at Tiorati Circle, mainly cause there are showers, swimming, picnic tables, shade and parking. Also you want to avoid weekends. Just make up a little sign on a broom stick, smack it in the ground before the trail crosses Arden Valley Road, sit back and wait! Probably best to do this over 2 days in my experience.

There is also a short cut to the Brien shelter for those who know about it.

Ender
04-18-2011, 09:14
I'd say end of June till end of July, give or take. Maybe even a few in early August.

That's just northbounders though... not sure about southbounders.