PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on how to pick-up an interrupted thru?

Chenango
04-18-2011, 09:18
Looking for advice on how to continue my hike. Here is the situation.

I developed a stress fracture in my left tibia. Doc says six weeks on crutches. Three months before I should consider resuming backpacking. I have been avoiding reading TJ and WB because it bums me out. After a couple of weeks being laid-up at home I am going stir crazy and understand the need to face this head on.

The good news is I am starting to think about how I can complete the trail. Let's assume I can start hiking again in late July or early August. I believe I have four main options:

(1) Pickup where I left off at Erwin. I could probably reach PA or NJ before winter sets in. Then finish next year. Down side is I would be hiking without a lot of other thru-hikers. Upside is it would be contiguous.

(2) Estimate where the NoBO pack would be and start from there. Make it to the Big-K with other NoBo'rs. Then pickup where I started and head south. Downside is I might not make it back to Erwin before winter sets in. Upside is hiking with other NoBo'rs for a couple of months.

(3) Start at Katahdin and hike south to Erwin. I might catch up with some SoBo'rs. Downside is winter catching up with me and fewer thruhikers to hike with. Upsides are crossing paths with the NoBo'rs I know as well as a good shot at finishing this year.

(4) Hike as many two week section hikes as possible this year and have as much fun as possible! Finish up next year anyway I can. In other words, be layed back and take it as it comes.

Bottom-line is that I am still committed to finishing the trail. As they say: HYOH. This will be my hike!! :sun

4shot
04-18-2011, 10:04
If you are coming off an injury and want to finish your thru, I would suggest starting somewhere in Mass or Conn in late July or early August and get some trail legs back before hitting NH and Maine, then head south to Erwin. In that time peiod you shouldn't be dealing with much winter conditions (i.e. snow and ice). in fact you will be hiking in fall conditions much of the trip which should be awesome. You may miss the herd but that can be a good thing.

IMO, starting SOBO at Katadhin, especially after coming off an injury, may be a bit much. best wishes to you whatever you decide to do.

burger
04-18-2011, 10:05
First thing I would do is see a new doctor. Six weeks on crutches is a LONG time for a stress fracture. Most stress fractures heal completely in 6-8 weeks. When I had a SF, I was told that I could start resuming weight-bearing activities as soon as I didn't feel pain.

Get a second opinion from a sports medicine doctor--you might be able to get back on the trail sooner than you think.

Montana Mac
04-18-2011, 10:29
Chenango

I know the feeling. My thru was cut short in NH due to a foot injury. I was so close yet so far from completing my goal. :(

After having to get off I was so bummed out that I didn't read any trail forums, didn't do any backpacking. But the bug is still there. I had a week sectioned planned for this week but canceled due to non trail related circumstances. Have another section hike planned for June in New England.This will be the first time backpacking since my foot injury so I am anxious to see how it all goes.

Even though I have sectioned hiked almost the entire trail it is "just not the same" (IMHO) as a true thru hike, which for my definition is an end to end in the same calendar year. So I am looking at the feasibility of another thru in 2012. Just this morning I spoke with someone about doing the logistical support work of mail drops, etc.

So to answer your question I guess I would do some sections, or shorter hikes on other trails, this year to see how the leg feels and then plan on another thru in 2012

d.o.c
04-18-2011, 10:31
winters here are rather mild

TexasEd
04-18-2011, 10:42
How much do you value being with the other thru hikers? Do you have friends you would be trying to meet back up with?

If not I wouldn't worry about it and pick whatever route is most convenient for you taking into account getting back into shape and the weather.

You can probably finish the whole trail this year by doing some flip flopping.

Tenderheart
04-18-2011, 11:51
First thing I would do is see a new doctor. Six weeks on crutches is a LONG time for a stress fracture. Most stress fractures heal completely in 6-8 weeks. When I had a SF, I was told that I could start resuming weight-bearing activities as soon as I didn't feel pain.

Get a second opinion from a sports medicine doctor--you might be able to get back on the trail sooner than you think.

Yep. As a distance runner, I have had several stress fractures. Eight weeks is the time frame.

litefoot

Praha4
04-18-2011, 12:03
I recommend #4. It will give you more enjoyment and less stress, both mental and physical. I went thru the same thing last year, got off the trail at Damascus, VA for personal reasons, not medical or physical reasons. For a few months I was super bummed out, wishing I had stayed on the trail, but now I do not regret it at all. If you try to jump up and rejoin your NOBO brothers, you will not be in the same shape as them and struggle to keep up, giving you more stress, more physical problems, and make you more bummed out.

I went back up and did a couple more section hikes in late summer. Now my plans are to go up later this year AFTER the crazy mob of NOBO thru hikers are gone up the trail, so I can enjoy the experience without overcrowded shelters, overcrowded town stops.

take it easy man, heal up and do what you think is good for you

Old Hiker
04-18-2011, 13:00
I've never been in this type of situation, BUT, like everyone, I have an opinion!

#1 - How important is contiguous to you?

#2 - Might not be able to keep up. How important are those friends? Would they slow down for you if necessary?

#3 - Flip-flop is good. Straight line important? Same year finish important?

#4 - Would you be satisfied with a discontinuous finish? You'd probably be stronger, more mentally fit, more sensitive to injuries, etc.

Hope you get there one way or another. It's in the journey, supposedly, but some people (me) want to finish in a season.

Chenango
04-18-2011, 13:05
I especially like the advice about my ability to keep up with current NoBo hikers. Never thought about that.

I head to the Dr tomorrow with a boat load of questions.

Thanks for the advice, folks.

Old Grouse
04-18-2011, 13:47
I think 4Shot's suggestion has merit.

Chenango
04-18-2011, 14:26
I think 4Shot's suggestion has merit.

I think so, too.

Doctari
04-18-2011, 16:46
A "Problem" I see with catching up to your hiking friends is: you have been off your feet (Not hiking) for 6 weeks, they have been hiking that time, so even if you met them it would be a struggle to keep up with the group & this MAY be very frustrating for you. It would be to me. What I would do if wanting to be with the group I was with: Figure out where they are (Anyone posting a journal?) & start about 2 - 4 weeks up trail from where they are. This will give you time to re-build your trail legs & very likely they will catch you up pretty quickly (4 - 6 weeks?). Yes, you will be away from them longer, but when they catch up, you will be nearly back to form & can at least spend time in camp with them.

Then do as suggested above & after getting to Maine go back to where you left the trail & continue, or to where you got back on & go SOBO. Perhaps even with the SOBO crowd.

Sorry about your injury.
OH, other options: Continue next year. Switch to SOBO & Hike with that group.

jesse
04-18-2011, 16:54
Three months before you consider backpacking. Will you be 100% in three months? Does the backpacking mean continuing a thru?

Option #4 makes the most sense to me, considering your injury.

q-tip
04-18-2011, 17:19
I broke my right tibia twice in one year, mostly because I came back too quick--my advice--wait a year to make sure it heals. a second break coud leave you permanently disabled...

DapperD
04-18-2011, 19:54
So to answer your question I guess I would do some sections, or shorter hikes on other trails, this year to see how the leg feels and then plan on another thru in 2012

Three months before you consider backpacking. Will you be 100% in three months? Does the backpacking mean continuing a thru?

Option #4 makes the most sense to me, considering your injury.

I broke my right tibia twice in one year, mostly because I came back too quick--my advice--wait a year to make sure it heals. a second break coud leave you permanently disabled...This all sounds like sage advice to me. I would have to say I concur:sun.

mweinstone
04-18-2011, 20:12
start over early next year. do magic this year.

stranger
04-19-2011, 03:35
I would head up to Vermont on August 1st and start north from North Adams or Bennington, Vermont (on the AT) isn't that rough and will give you 150 miles before heading into the Whites. You might want to do some light physical preparation if you can before August but obviously listen to your Dr orders.

Hike north to Katahdin, flip back to North Adams, hike south to Erwin.

As you said, starting south from Katahdin in late July will be late in season, and going back down to Erwin will mean very hot weather and probably ending your hike in southern New England due to weather, plus with few hikers around.

My suggestion means you can finish your thru-hike, still meet up with some old friends, meet some new ones going sobo and hike the mid-atlantic outside of the summer heat. Makes sense to me!

Monkeywrench
04-19-2011, 09:25
Chenango, I didn't even realize you were thruing this year! Sorry about the stress fracture. I know how frustrated I would have been if that had happened to me.

I think if you head back out this year, you should pick up in New England and head north, then flip-flop and hike south to Erwin. But at the end of the day (to sum it all up/to get right down to it/when all is said and done), you have to do what feels right to you, whether it is the "logical" choice or not.

mweinstone
04-19-2011, 10:21
"any advise on how to pick up an interupted thru?"

flowers and chocolates are all i know. and it dont work for me. mabey you will have better luck.

Grampie
04-19-2011, 12:07
Hi, I have been following your journal. I atempted a thru-hike in 2000 at the age of 65. I also developed a stress fracture in my left tibia. My doc. told me I would be able to hike again in 6 weeks. My thoughts were just like yours. Couldn't wait to get back out and continue. Well it didn't happen. It was August before I could hike without pain.
I regrouped. I decided to get in better pre hike shape and start again the following April where I had got off the trail, Fontana Dam.
Started a new in 2001 from Fontana. It was not a thru-hike but I was back on the trail heading NOBO.
I finished the AT that year. I walked 2000 miles with no further injury.

DapperD
04-19-2011, 20:13
Hi, I have been following your journal. I atempted a thru-hike in 2000 at the age of 65. I also developed a stress fracture in my left tibia. My doc. told me I would be able to hike again in 6 weeks. My thoughts were just like yours. Couldn't wait to get back out and continue. Well it didn't happen. It was August before I could hike without pain.
I regrouped. I decided to get in better pre hike shape and start again the following April where I had got off the trail, Fontana Dam.
Started a new in 2001 from Fontana. It was not a thru-hike but I was back on the trail heading NOBO.
I finished the AT that year. I walked 2000 miles with no further injury.You made the wise decision to allow your body to fully heal and to coax it into even better condition than it had been in. With this strategy brought sweet success. Well Done:sun

sbhikes
04-19-2011, 21:57
I got stress fractures on the PCT around mile 1500. I had to go home. I waited until the next year. I wasn't even planning to hike the whole trail, but during the winter I just knew I had to go back and finish.

So what I did was I plotted a crazy hike where I left my house right out my front door and walked to the PCT. The closest place to my house is Hikertown in the Antelope Valley right before you cross the Mojave Desert floor. It was about 120 trail miles from my house. It was a crazy adventure and I felt pretty darn excited to do it. My house is connected to the PCT!

Then, because the year I started the PCT there were a lot of fires, what I did was overlap a few hundred miles starting at Hikertown so I could get my trail legs, then I tried to clean up all the missed sections from fire detours, then when I got to where I left off, I did a complete thru of the remainder, no missed steps.

I know your situation is different, but I wanted to make the point that even with the way it turned out for me I felt incredibly proud of my accomplishment and very satisfied with my hike. I really did hike my own hike. In my mind all the preceding miles knitted themselves together into a single entity. I even read trail register entries from the people I remembered the first year, which sort of made it feel like I was still with them. I was not able to hike with the herd the second year and instead hiked completely alone. This also provided a sense of satisfaction and pride I look back on fondly.

Enjoy your return whenever you can get back out there!

Chenango
04-20-2011, 09:28
"any advise on how to pick up an interupted thru?"

flowers and chocolates are all i know. and it dont work for me. mabey you will have better luck.

Now there is an option I did not consider. :banana

Chenango
04-20-2011, 09:32
You fellow WhiteBlazers are the best. Thanks for all the good advice and encouragement.

Got back from the doc yesterday. Next week I can start on the stationary bike for 15-20 minutes a day. There is lght at the end of the tunnel. Also, I am no longer using crutches. Yeah!

Live to hike another day. That is what I am doing!!

BTW, it snowed here in central NY on Sunday night. I don't miss that too much. Well maybe just a little. lol

Chenango
04-20-2011, 09:35
Chenango, I didn't even realize you were thruing this year! Sorry about the stress fracture. I know how frustrated I would have been if that had happened to me.

I think if you head back out this year, you should pick up in New England and head north, then flip-flop and hike south to Erwin. But at the end of the day (to sum it all up/to get right down to it/when all is said and done), you have to do what feels right to you, whether it is the "logical" choice or not.

I remember reading on your blog about your knee problems in New England doing your thru. But you made it after some time off. You HYOH. I will do the same.

Tinker
05-10-2011, 10:27
Hey, Pete. I left you a PM. I'm looking forward to some easy hiking while recuperating myself. When you get back on the Trail give me a holler, ok?
Get better, friend. :)

FORTIS
05-11-2011, 13:19
You fellow WhiteBlazers are the best. Thanks for all the good advice and encouragement.

Got back from the doc yesterday. Next week I can start on the stationary bike for 15-20 minutes a day. There is lght at the end of the tunnel. Also, I am no longer using crutches. Yeah!

Live to hike another day. That is what I am doing!!

BTW, it snowed here in central NY on Sunday night. I don't miss that too much. Well maybe just a little. lol

How is the healing process going? I too fractured my Tibia just outside of Erwin, TN. My fracture is just above the talus area. It sucks!!!! It's been a little over 3 weeks and I stopped using the crutches today. I'm still wearing an air cast though. Against my Dr.'s advice I'm heading back to the trail on week 6 post injury. I plan to head north from Pearishburg and return later in the year to knock off the missed miles between Erwin and there. I know that it's probably to early and not smart but I just can't get the trail off of my mind. I'm going slow and if I feel any discomfort in the ankle at all then I will come off of the trail until another time.

I'm sorry about your injury. I hope you're recovery is going well and that you get back to the trail soon.

LIhikers
05-11-2011, 14:40
Sorry to hear about your injury.
The only advice I can offer is to not rush it. Give yourself time to heal and then worry about the hike.

Bare Bear
05-11-2011, 15:46
I would go NOBO from where I left off, then jump up to K before it closes and go back SOBO for the last. You will meet new folks. Enjoy.

Chenango
05-12-2011, 07:24
How is the healing process going? I too fractured my Tibia just outside of Erwin, TN. My fracture is just above the talus area. It sucks!!!! It's been a little over 3 weeks and I stopped using the crutches today. I'm still wearing an air cast though. Against my Dr.'s advice I'm heading back to the trail on week 6 post injury. I plan to head north from Pearishburg and return later in the year to knock off the missed miles between Erwin and there. I know that it's probably to early and not smart but I just can't get the trail off of my mind. I'm going slow and if I feel any discomfort in the ankle at all then I will come off of the trail until another time.

I'm sorry about your injury. I hope you're recovery is going well and that you get back to the trail soon.

Fortis, My fracture is at the other end ofthe tibia ... near the knee. Take is slow. I stopped using crutches too soon and it started to refracture a bit.