PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Sweaters - Nylon or Polyester

vibbertations
04-18-2011, 09:46
I've searched a bit on the forums and looking for opinions. I normally wear button front Columbia style shirts everyday. At work, I wear regular cotton undershirts, but while hiking, I've been experimenting with various undershirts. My question is what do you guys normally wear that are heavy sweaters? I'm thinking eventually I will have to do away with under shirts but until then, wanted to see what you guys do.

I've been hiking at Mammoth Cave this spring to gear up for 50 miles of the AT this fall.

I had been wearing a Terramar polyester under shirt with an Under Armour polyester button front shirt. It wicks away moisture well but that smell is just weird. At least its not terrible like when you sweat in cotton for hours on end.

But yesterday, I wore the same undershirt but wore a North Face nylon shirt. No smell.

So it looks like I need to replace all my gear with nylon. Is there some hidden secret I don't know about nylon to keep me away?

I already have two pairs of nylon pants that are great. What are thoughts on Merino?

Thanks.

Kerosene
04-18-2011, 12:21
The nylon will eventually pick up a smell also, although perhaps not quite as pervasive as polyester.

Look into various weights of merino wool shirts from Smartwool and Icebreaker. Expensive, but warm-when-wet, and doesn't pick up your stink (although I can't say that I like the smell of wet wool).

Hoop
04-18-2011, 12:47
New wool is expensive, but thrift stores often have merino, cashmere, etc., sweaters for a resal bargain. I've bought stuff just because it was so cheap I couln't pass it up.

leaftye
04-18-2011, 13:03
New wool is expensive, but thrift stores often have merino, cashmere, etc., sweaters for a resal bargain. I've bought stuff just because it was so cheap I couln't pass it up.

I visited most of the thrift stores in San Diego County and only found one, and it was very ratty and way too small. I wasted enough gas that I would have been well on the way towards buying a brand new wool sweater. It drives me crazy when people elsewhere are able to find brand name outdoor gear, down jackets, nice wool, etc.

tigerpaw
04-18-2011, 14:10
What are you washing your synthetics with? We use Nikwax or a concoction by Febreze, designed for technical fabrics.

bigcranky
04-18-2011, 15:17
I sweat like the proverbial pig, and have completely switched to wool base layers, even in summer. If I wear synthetic base layers, they pick up an unbelievable stink within a few hours.

vibbertations
04-18-2011, 17:36
I've been washing with regular liquid detergent on cool and hang drying.

Looks like I need to take a look at Merino Wool. Thanks!

300winmag
09-04-2011, 21:29
Body chemistry determines smell to an extent. Diet, especially a high meat diet, can increase body malodors.

Some newer poly shirts are made with microscopic silver imbedded in the fibers, This helps a lot. As for me wearing wool - not ever likely.

fiddlehead
09-04-2011, 21:58
I like fleece (100% Polyester).
200 weight for spring/fall, 100 weight for summer,
If I go winter camping/hiking (haven't done now for 9 years) then I take a down coat.

chiefiepoo
09-04-2011, 22:18
poly undershirt, long sleve
pendelton wool shirt mid layer
lightweight rain shell for wind and moisture protection
ticket back home to Florida if that doesn't keep me warm

garlic08
09-04-2011, 22:37
Your post title is a little confusing. Are you looking for a sweater that is heavy in weight, or are you looking for advice from people who sweat heavily? I think the latter.

In summer, I wear a nylon trekking shirt with no under shirt. I don't carry an undershirt at all. I carry a polypro long sleeve base layer that I hardly use in summer.

aaronthebugbuffet
09-04-2011, 23:02
This was 5 months ago surely the OP has figured out what kind of shirt to wear by now. :)