PDA

View Full Version : Mount Rogers to Damascus hike late April

Jay B.
04-18-2011, 10:18
Planning a hike from Mount Rogers south to Damascus the last weekend of this month. Never done this section before. According to the topo map some good level hiking on top and lots of downhill to Damascus. I am hoping to make it to Saunders shelter which will be about a 20 mile first day and about 10 miles the secind day into Damascus. Any info on the Saunders Shelter or a campsite close by would be appreciated and also info on the hike in general. Also will probably use Mount Rogers outfitters for the shuttle. Anyone know exactly where the drop off is for this and where to pick up the AT south?Thanks much!! Jay B.

Montana Mac
04-18-2011, 10:33
Check this tread

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69850&highlight=grayson+highlands

booney_1
04-18-2011, 11:58
I've never used the shuttle, so no help about drop-off, but I'd guess it's next to the day hiking parking lot. To get to the AT start at the day hiking parking lot, you want to get on the Rhododendron Trail which will take you to the AT. If you have any questions ask somebody, this time of year there will be people around. The are a lot of horse trails in the vicinity which can be confusing. The Rhododendron Trail goes straight up the hill from the parking area. Remember the AT is white blazed (often on rocks up there). Be careful with turns, there should be a sign showing the AT.

Note that there is also a new AT access trail from the "over night" gravel parking lot. If you are heading south you do not want to take this trail as it heads north before it connects to the AT.