PDA

View Full Version : Need a secondary source about living in the wilderness?

Bud Nuggets
04-18-2011, 13:51
Hello, I am writing a research essay on the effects and changes someone experiences when they spend a prolonged amount of time in the wilderness. I need to find a secondary source about this topic, and I was thinking maybe an essay or journal (needs to be about 3-5 pages) written about (it can't be by the person who was in the wilderness, or else it is considered a primary source) Henry David Thoreau, Chris McCandless, etc. It should have information about their experience with the wilderness. I have done research looking for a source, but I am having troubles. Could someone please direct me towards a nicely written secondary source for this topic, or at least a good place to start looking?

Thanks,
Bud

Trailweaver
04-18-2011, 14:22
A check with your reference librarian should turn up something. Also, you could check with your English professor who specializes in American Lit. They would surely know of those sources.

Penguin
04-18-2011, 14:48
Into the wild wasn't written by McCandless it was written by Krakauer sp? Though he didn't really benefit from his experience, he died.

88BlueGT
04-18-2011, 14:55
You always benefit from an experience, good or bad. ALWAYS.

And just because he died doesn't mean he didn't benefit. Everyone dies at some point, doesn't mean life isn't worth experiencing.

Does that even make sense? haha

Skidsteer
04-18-2011, 14:58
Google The Last American Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Last_American_Man&action=edit&redlink=1) by Elizabeth Gilbert (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Gilbert).

Story is about Eustace Conway.

mweinstone
04-18-2011, 15:08
john muir travels in alaska.no one writes better about freaking out in the wilds.

makoboy
04-18-2011, 15:43
He is looking for a Secondary Source. Example:

John Krakauer writing about his own experiences on Everest in "Into Thin Air" is a Primary Source

John Krakauer writing about the experiences of McCandless in Alaska in "Into the Wild" is a Secondary Source.

I would stay away from the American Lit as previously reccomended. You would want to look more along the lines of history texts. Maybe try "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose. Much of the book is based on the journals of Meriwether Lewis, William Clark, and other people on the expedition.

flemdawg1
04-18-2011, 16:07
Seriously, is this what passes for research today? Go to the stinkin' library! And stay off my lawn!

Bud Nuggets
04-18-2011, 16:22
Thank you all, this will help me in the forming of my essay!
Makoboy, thank you for clearing things up!

And flemdawg, I don't know if you are talking to me, but I don't exactly have the time to go out and perform this long term research on my own seeing as I am a college student and have a time frame for this paper.

Amanita
04-18-2011, 22:15
And flemdawg, I don't know if you are talking to me, but I don't exactly have the time to go out and perform this long term research on my own seeing as I am a college student and have a time frame for this paper.

If going to the library counts as "long term research" then I don't know want to know what you think of people who actually read a whole book.

I am a college student, and yes, research papers DO have due dates. But the whole reason your professor wants x number of primary sources and y number of secondary sources is to make sure you actually do research.

I may be projecting some of my personal experiences onto you, but it's amazing how many people even 2-3 years older than myself have made it their whole lives without learning how to use a library.

sliderule
04-18-2011, 22:37
You always benefit from an experience, good or bad. ALWAYS.

There is just no guarantee that the negative aspects of the experience don't outweigh the benefit.

fiddlehead
04-18-2011, 22:47
Farley Mowat is another good writer who spent much of his time in the wild.
I'd read the story about Shackleton in the Antarctic too.
The "Land of the white death" is another good one that I thoroughly enjoyed.
If you are looking for books about long distance hiking, I would recommend Eric Ryback's book "high adventure"
Good luck.

gumball
04-19-2011, 05:13
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

I loved this book by Dick Proenneke, who built a cabin in Alaska and lived there in the wilderness. Very enjoyable--amazon should carry it, I got it at a bookstore, if it sounds interesting.

gumball
04-19-2011, 05:13
Double post.