PDA

View Full Version : Need help with slackpacking logistics

flagator
04-18-2011, 17:54
Hey all. I have an opportunity to do some hiking on the AT. I have gone on several AT section hikes before. This time I would like to slackpack for a number of reasons. The foremost being that I would like to cover more ground, number 2 being I don't feel like messing with cookware and tents this time around, and 3 I do not have a hiking buddy this trip and feel a little uneasy in camp should I be alone especially with reports of bad bear activity and nonfunctioning cables, plus im a social animal.
Any to get to the point, I have used both the folks at hike inn and hiker hostel and I cannot say enough good things about both of them. What I need help with here is layout of the trip. I have not touched the trail between Neels Gap ---> Fontana Dam.... my math may be off but my guidebook shows that to be 132.4 miles. I would like to cover as much ground in between these two points as possible. I have 8 days to do this, but basically take away the 2 travel dates driving to and from North Florida.
The problem I am facing is how do I do this most conveniently time wise and financially. I have been trying to figure it out all day and it is giving me a major headache. Because obviously there will come a point where I should switch shuttlers/hostels, or whatever. I usually cover about 16-20 miles when going on a normal section hike.... Im hoping to do more like 20-25 while slackpacking. I am running into complications trying to figure this out, mainly because some sections are very long with no road access. I want to know if this can be done in my time frame, if so, how would you do it? Anyhow if anyone is very experienced with this area and could offer any advice, well than that would be very much appreciated.

Red Hat
04-18-2011, 20:49
contact gene roll (generoll) here on wb. He does shuttles in North GA and NC. He will let you know what he can and can not do for you. Good luck!

bulldog49
04-18-2011, 23:10
Camping out on the trail is the only reason I hike. I don't get slackpacking. :confused:

fiddlehead
04-19-2011, 05:03
Slacking can be more trouble than it's worth.
It has it's time and place I guess.
I have learned to keep it simple.
Scared of bears? take some firecrackers.

fredmugs
04-19-2011, 11:47
As a major slacker I can tell you I did the following in your area.

Hiked the Standing Indian loop to cover the area from Deep Gap to Hwy 64.

Had someone drive my vehicle from Hwy 64 to Fontana Dam. I slacked to the NOC and slept in the bunkhouse and then knocked out the 29+ miles to Fontana Dam.

This May I plan on slacking GSMNP in 3 days. I have friends who will be hiking NOBO so I plan on the following:

Park at Clingmans Dome and do 32.4 miles into Fontana Dam. Pick up their vehicle and perhaps stay at the NOC again. Drive to Newfound Gap the next day and hike 8 or so miles to Clingman's. Drive my car back to Newfound Gap and then take their car to Standing Bear.

Hike 33.7 miles to Newfound Gap and go home. Their car will be waiting for them when they get to S.B.

This will be more a test of my fitness than anything else but all you haters can waste your time talking about smelling flowers or sitting in one of those lousy shelters for hours and hours and hours after your big 10 mile days.

flagator
04-19-2011, 14:11
Fred, thats a pretty good slackpack plan for that section, very creative I must say. I already have covered that portion of the trail but that would have been an interesting option. There are MANY times where I am in the mood to stroll and camp and cook and hang food. But in a time like this where I havent been to the trail in a while and I live 8+ hours away, I just want cover more ground and see more.

modiyooch
04-19-2011, 20:08
i use this site as a planning tool. your best bet is to find a hiking buddy and walk opposite directions each day and have two keys.
http://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_menu.aspx I didn't start slackpacking until I hit PA because of all the road crossings. Then I made a habit of it. It has it's merits and I have corrupted hikers along the way. I do both slackpacking and long distance backpacking.

modiyooch
04-19-2011, 20:16
As a major slacker I can tell you I did the following in your area.

Hiked the Standing Indian loop to cover the area from Deep Gap to Hwy 64.

Had someone drive my vehicle from Hwy 64 to Fontana Dam. I slacked to the NOC and slept in the bunkhouse and then knocked out the 29+ miles to Fontana Dam.

This May I plan on slacking GSMNP in 3 days. I have friends who will be hiking NOBO so I plan on the following:

Park at Clingmans Dome and do 32.4 miles into Fontana Dam. Pick up their vehicle and perhaps stay at the NOC again. Drive to Newfound Gap the next day and hike 8 or so miles to Clingman's. Drive my car back to Newfound Gap and then take their car to Standing Bear.

Hike 33.7 miles to Newfound Gap and go home. Their car will be waiting for them when they get to S.B.

This will be more a test of my fitness than anything else but all you haters can waste your time talking about smelling flowers or sitting in one of those lousy shelters for hours and hours and hours after your big 10 mile days. I didn' look at this in detail, but be sure to factor in the drive time from point a to point b when you are hiking the smokies.

fredmugs
04-19-2011, 22:21
Thanks - that's why I'm only doing the short day from Newfound to Clingmans.

Askus3
04-20-2011, 00:38
I have slackpacked/dayhiked the AT thru NE, NY & NJ and Modiyooch can attest to my planning. Unfortunately south of the DWG, I am of no help. When you work your way further north, I am sure I can be of help.