PDA

View Full Version : The Instaflator video, inside and outside a tent

Franco
04-18-2011, 21:20
The Instaflator is a long plastic bag with a bit of plastic tube at the end to connected to a mat.
It comes with two sizes and of course you can make your own if your mat takes a different type.
Not all that useful to me with a standard mat but it will do for the Exped Downmat because you should not inflate a downmat by mouth.
I did this clip to show that it can be easely done inside a tent .
here is the video :
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMUP-H2RNko (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMUP-H2RNko)
As I do with most of my videos , it is just one take and not that well framed but it is in real time and shows how it works in real life (IE no polishing/speeding up/multiple takes...)
Franco

STICK
04-18-2011, 22:11
Nice video.

doheir
04-19-2011, 08:27
I bought an Instaflator and found it handy with a NeoAir. However, none of the attachments with the Instaflator fit my older Downmat (the one without the integrated pump). I think that a short section of clear vinyl tubing of the proper size will do the job, but I haven't headed to the hardware store yet for the size. Have you found anything that works?

Franco
04-19-2011, 18:20
Not yet because I have not looked for it. My Downmat has a slow leak somewhere and I can't find that...
I might start searching today.

Franco

Franco
04-22-2011, 18:58
Exped have has used at least two if not three valve sizes.
The one I have is 20mm wide about the size of the outside of the clear adaptor.
Immerse the clear adaptor in hot water. Leave it there for a few minutes.
Pull out (I use pliers..) and stretch the rubber tube over the Exped valve.
Now insert the Instaflator into the clear plastic tube.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/Instaflator-adaptor.jpg

I have just done this , so I do not know if the clear tube will remain stretched enough to pull out and be inserted again or if I need to leave it attached to the Exped.
If it needs to stay on the Exped then I can shorten it a bit.
Franco

tuswm
04-22-2011, 19:57
Franco'
I love your videos, thats why I got a TT DR.....but That looked like it took about as long to blow up as my mouth does. I know 14 big breaths gives me perfect inflation.

Has anyone tried the valves on the BA UL7. They are the best valves I have seen. They are twice as fast as the thermarest valves. But I didnt like the FEEL of the verticle baffles.

PS big surprise there is a TT in this video lol

Franco
04-22-2011, 20:30
I chose the Contrail because having a front entrance I could film the inside of the shelter from one fixed position.
I read the comment about not been able to use the Instaflator inside a tent, an hour later I had the video posted on You Tube
You are correct about the speed , that is why I don't use it for the Neo but some find it a bit too much to inflate by mouth (IE short of breath) and in the case of Downmats you should not blow in air from your mouth. (to avoid bacterial build up)
As with many of my suggestions, this is another "for you if you like this sort of thing..." not necessarily what I do or like.
Franco

Hoop
04-22-2011, 23:19
They're very inexpensive, too - only $3.99 + shipping.

treesloth
01-18-2013, 10:16
Good morning, just wanted to resurrect this post to reiterate how great the Instaflator seems to work. It's 1½ extra ounces I will gladly take along to prevent condensation in my mat and hyperventilation. I fully blew up my new large XLite with literally one and a half breaths. I too wonder about the durability so I purchased two for now.. they're certainly cheap enough.

Going to field test it on a 4 day hike through Ocala National Forest sometime before the end of this month. For now, dare I say I'm a happy customer with it.

Franco
01-18-2013, 16:29
I used the Instaflator yesterday to inflate a Neo X Therm .I found a hole in it so just stuck some clear office tape over it and it works again.
I cut a couple of feet off mine so that it is easier for me to use in confined spaces.
As a tip, make sure that when you press down with your hand to push the air in you don't dig your fingers into the bag.