PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Parking in North Troy

GPK
04-19-2011, 10:01
I'm looking for a safe place to leave my car in North Troy while I hike the LT; I have a ride to WilliamsTown, Ma. The North Troy Inn will do it, but they want at least a 1 night stay. I've tried calling other places in North Troy, but I get "out of service" message. Does any one know if the other motels are seaonal or are they really out of business?

I guess I can expand my search to Jay and do a hitch when I get off the trail.

Maybe someone can suggest some other options?

Thanks - gpk

DavidNH
04-19-2011, 11:26
I think you would be better off arranging to be picked up in North Troy than trying to leave your car there. For one, there's the possibility that you don't make it all the way on the LT in one trip (depending of course on how much time you have). There's also the possibility that leaving your car there for multiple weeks results in something happening to it.

I personally wouldn't want to leave my car for 3-4 weeks anywhere unless it's with friends, family, or my own place.

Getting to Williamstown, MA shouldn't be too difficult. You could, if need be, bail out from trail at route 4, route 108 in Smuggler's notch (Stowe) or near Johnson. If you make it to Johnson most likely you are going all the way to the border.

At border and Journey's end trail.. it's still a couple miles walk in to town. My experience when I did the trail (02/04) was that folks weren't very friendly up there along the dirt roads into North Troy.

David

NorthCountryWoods
04-19-2011, 14:16
Does any one know if the other motels are seaonal or are they really out of business?

Probably out of business. Not much going on in town and they've been dealing with a surprising amount of drug related crime for the small population. Not the best environment to leave an unattended vehicle. The inn would be your best bet because they can watch it.

Jay Peak used to allow long term parking in their overflow ski lots, but probably not much safer than leaving your car at the trail head.

Wonder if you could contact the border station up there and see if you can park there? It's outside the village and is just about constantly manned. Not sure if they'd go for it tho.

bulldog49
04-19-2011, 14:43
I'm looking for a safe place to leave my car in North Troy while I hike the LT; I have a ride to WilliamsTown, Ma. The North Troy Inn will do it, but they want at least a 1 night stay. I've tried calling other places in North Troy, but I get "out of service" message. Does any one know if the other motels are seaonal or are they really out of business?

I guess I can expand my search to Jay and do a hitch when I get off the trail.

Thanks - gpk

Seems to me the price for a one night stay is worth it to have a safe place to leave your car for a month.. :-?

on_the_GOEZ
04-19-2011, 16:05

I hitched from North Troy to Waterbury and then shuttled to Burlington. Hitching is less assured, but I like talking to strangers :D:D

NorthCountryWoods
04-20-2011, 16:54
Just noticed you're in Waterford....hitching that distance wouldn't be tough at all.

GPK
04-21-2011, 01:55
Yeah, the safest parking is in our garage. So - the latest plan is to take our ride to Williamstown, hike the LT, then hitch home from North Troy. Getting on and off trails is quite an adventure in itself.