PDA

View Full Version : West Va & Maryland in Late August - Experience?

JimSproul
04-19-2011, 12:04
I am working up plans for a section hike from Harpers to Waynesboro, PA in August.

Anybody familiar with this part of the trail that time of year?

Thanks in Advance

couscous
04-19-2011, 12:47
Data from last year (http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KHGR/2010/8/19/MonthlyHistory.html) - Hagerstown, MD
Some water sources in that section are unreliable in July/August.
Most likely it will be very hot so carrying extra water is worth considering.

Ashman
04-19-2011, 13:28
I did it late July. There was water but not much. I started in Harper's Ferry and went all the way to PENMAR Park. No stream crossings that I recall until the last 10 miles. In August I would imagine it to be more so.

NYKh
04-19-2011, 14:02
I did PenMar to Harpers Ferry two years ago in August.
Springs at Ensign Cowall and Pine Knob were a trickle. Rocky Run was dry. The spring between PineKnob and Cowell and at the rocks were running well. The spigots at the parks and Dahlgren were fine.
I kept my camelback full and was able to make it past the dry areas with no problem.

tuswm
04-20-2011, 07:51
Do you have specific questions?

OldFeet
04-20-2011, 08:11
I hiked Harpers Ferry to Calendonia in late July a couple of years ago and as others have said, the water sources were spotty. Fortunately there are spigots along the way that help you keep supplied. Definitely plan on hot weather and fill up whenever you have the chance. The spring at Deer Lick was dry but there is a very good spring about a mile or so south of that shelter that's a good place to camel up.

JimSproul
04-20-2011, 10:31
Thanks All, looks like it is a workable plan but I may move it up to July in hopes that the water is a bit more available.

Big Guy
04-20-2011, 14:16
Did this section from Pen Mar to Harpers Ferry last July. Was hot and several places had spotty water or no water. As an example we planed to stop at one sheleter but was warned there was no water so we hiked on. Agree with previous poster to camel up at the parks since there was water. We had a great trip. Some areas we had to let our pan fill so we could filter. Be ready for hot weather an spotty water sources. We never ran dry we always had some in reserve. One watersource is downhill 1/4 from shelter and a 1/4 back up to the sheltrer.

johnnybgood
04-20-2011, 17:00
. One watersource is downhill 1/4 from shelter and a 1/4 back up to the sheltrer.
That be Ed Garvey Shelter , 6.3 miles northbound out of Harpers Ferry.

Sign posted on tree says "steep 0.25 mile " , so be prepared to expend some energy.

OldFeet
04-21-2011, 08:30
There was also a good spring near Annapolis Rocks that was running strong when I was there in late July. The rocks also make a great spot to take a long mid-day break for lunch and were was limited tentsites when l was there three years ago.

hikingbear
04-21-2011, 08:53
That be Ed Garvey Shelter , 6.3 miles northbound out of Harpers Ferry.

Sign posted on tree says "steep 0.25 mile " , so be prepared to expend some energy.

Saw a nice Copperhead cross the blue trail about a foot in front of me on the way to get water last July. So keep an eye out!