PDA

View Full Version : looking for cheap maps

dreadhead
04-19-2011, 13:33
Im planning a section hike from Harpers Ferry, WV NOBO to Maine and was wondering if anyone had any maps of this section they would be willing to sell or if there was anywhere i could find some for cheap. It doesnt matter if there a few years old.

emerald
04-19-2011, 13:56
Depending upon when you plan to hike, if all else fails, consider buying new guides and reselling them. You should be able to recover much of what you spent.

Hikers are often looking here to save whatever they can on maps.

gearfreak
04-19-2011, 14:11
You might consider these: AT-TOPO (http://www.at-topo.com)

One Half
04-19-2011, 14:38
You might consider these: AT-TOPO (http://www.at-topo.com)

Any idea how large these maps are and how they are broken down? Is it 1 state per map? multi states per map? are they waterproof?

I looked at the link but couldn't find these answers.

Thanks.

gearfreak
04-19-2011, 15:41
Each state is a separate PDF file. To provide sufficient detail, they are at a scale of 1" = 1/2 mile. Each page is designed to be printed on a standard letter size sheet (8 1/2 x 11), so larger states would consist of more pages. For example, GA is 10 pages (if printed on one side only) whereas WV is 4. These certainly would require planned mail drops to minimize carry weight.

fredmugs
04-19-2011, 16:19
You might want to consider the cost of getting a cheap GPS. You can then go to backpacker magazine (I'm sure there's a lot of other places as well) and download AT hikes onto your unit.

With a map you can always make a wrong turn - with a GPS you literally cannot.

bulldog49
04-19-2011, 18:26
Each state is a separate PDF file. To provide sufficient detail, they are at a scale of 1" = 1/2 mile. Each page is designed to be printed on a standard letter size sheet (8 1/2 x 11), so larger states would consist of more pages. For example, GA is 10 pages (if printed on one side only) whereas WV is 4. These certainly would require planned mail drops to minimize carry weight.

Do they send you a DVD or are the files downloaded?

bulldog49
04-19-2011, 18:29
Plus, I'm guessing the difference between the NOBO and SOBO editions is simply the direction of the cumulative mileage indicated on the maps?

gearfreak
04-20-2011, 07:48
Files are on DVD and each direction starts and ends at opposite ends. Mileages are up-to-date with 2011 guide books.