PDA

View Full Version : Freeze Bladders?

Ashman
04-19-2011, 14:12
I overheard a conversation in REI the other day (yeah I know eavesdropping is rude!) and one fellow was telling another that he stores his bladder bags in his freezer as it keeps the nasty wee little beasties from growing inside.

Anybody ever hear of this? Would degrade the plastic if done over a long period of time?

88BlueGT
04-19-2011, 14:15
I have always froze my bladders for that exact reason. Freezes everything and you don't get the funky smells, the possible mold, etc.

I have frozen my bladder bag for 4-5 months at the longest time frame (through winter) and I have personally never had a problem.

rdljr
04-19-2011, 14:17
Does not hurt anything that I can see. Only problem I have ever had with it is the wife moving the bladders out of the freezer to make room for food and then I have to hunt all over to figure out were she put the bladder.

RDLjr

88BlueGT
04-19-2011, 14:50
Also,

not sure what kind of bladder you are using. I use a bladder 'bag' that is collapsible with an elastic band that wraps it up, I will say, freezing the bag with the elastic band tight will cause it to stretch.

Ashman
04-19-2011, 15:02
I have three 2L Camelback bags and one 2L MSR bag. Any issues on the bite valves?

Toolshed
04-19-2011, 19:24
I store mine in the Freezer. Nalgene, MSR's and Camelback. Absolutely no issues for over 3-4 years now..

Hooch
04-19-2011, 20:16
I have three 2L Camelback bags and one 2L MSR bag. Any issues on the bite valves?I store mine in the freezer as well with not poblems whatsoever. After each use, just wash, rinse and dry your bladder like you normally would, then roll it up, wrap a rubber band around it and pop it in the freezer next to your Ben and Jerry's. I've been storing mine there for a couple years now and have never had an issue. The bite vlaves will be just fine.

sbhikes
04-19-2011, 21:27
My boyfriend used to freeze his just because he likes cold drinks. He doesn't do it anymore, though. No reason really. I always thought it might puncture the bladder but it never did.

Joker4ink
04-19-2011, 23:21
I have never put my Nalgene 3L in the freezer. When I see it gets nasty, I use denture tablets to destroy anything inside. I always disassemble the bite valve and other tube connectors to let that stuff air dry too. I havent had a problem since.

Manwich
04-20-2011, 00:17
I've been using the same 3L Platypus with two duct-tape patches on it for weekend trips over the past few years. Every time I'm done with 'em, I give them a quick rinse in hot water, roll it up and throw the bag and hose (it's actually a camelback hose) in the freezer.

Duct tape's never come off, bag hasn't ruptured anywhere else (initial ones are pinholes caused by stake stabbings) and I have no idea what funky smells and black gunk other guys speak of.