PDA

View Full Version : Wooo Hoooo !!!!!

hikerjohnd
01-21-2005, 20:32
MY BASE IS UNDER 25 POUNDS!!!!!!!

Now - for you die hard ULers, I know that is heavy, but thanks to WB and all the gear advice, I have shaved over 30 pounds of what I thought was necessary before I even hit the trail! I'm taking my stuff on an overnighter this weekend to see how I like it - and I'm thinking about a different pack to lighten the load some more - but I couldn't be happier!!!!

:banana

orangebug
01-21-2005, 21:23
Uh, we can't let you off so easy.

Where is the pack list?

hikerjohnd
01-21-2005, 21:45
Well - here it is - have fun!

Camera/Film (2 rolls) - 11.6 oz
Clothes - 50.9 oz - LS shirt, L zip pant, nylon shorts, underwear, t-shirt (duofold), socks & liners
Cook set - 15.8 oz - still clinging to this - will prob send smaller pot home, but have to start with it
Data pouch - 19.1 oz - journal, maps, guide, etc.
First aid/grooming - 8.4 oz
16 oz bottle alcohol (brasslite bottle) full - 19 oz
Kitchen kit - 11.3 oz - spices, utensils, soap (for pots and me!) - I'm still working on this too
Knife - 1.8 oz - Leatherman Squirt S4
Lighting - 1.8 oz - Petzl Zipka w/ Li batteries
Misc kit - 3.8 oz - clevis pins, platty patches, batteries, spare lighter, boot laces
Pack w/ cover - 96 oz - yea - I know - I'm working on this one
Raingear - 22.4 oz - Red something - nice fit, heavy but feel very durable
Rope - 2.8 oz - 35 ft w/ small caribeaner for food bag
Sleeping bag - 31.8 oz - North Face 15 deg
Sleeping pad - 3.7 oz
Stove w/ windscreen - 1.4 oz - pepsi can variety
Sunglasses - 0.5 oz
tent - 55.7 oz - Big agnes sl1 - I wish I had found WB before I bought this - I may switch to something else...
TP - 5.8 oz
Wallet/watch - 3 oz
waterbag - 9.1 oz - Nalgene 3L big bore w/home made bag to attach to pack
Water filter - 12.7 oz - Katadyn hiker - health issues prevent iodine and MD suggested this over Aqua Mira and others
water bottle - 6.4 oz - Nalegene - may drop this, but it fits my pack (sport bottle too small and falls out) and I drink a lot...

Mouse
01-22-2005, 12:37
Try a 20oz Gatorade bottle instead of the Nalgene.

I used a ziplock instead of a wallet.

Consider the tiny Swiss Army Knife and Photon flashlight. I thought the Photon too wimpy at first, but it DID work for spotting a racoon atop a bearpole from inside the shelter.

All you really need for cooking is a pot, lid and spoon. I splurged and also had the pot's stuffsack and a P38 canopener.

A disposable camera is lighter, but does have the disadvantage of no zoom lens.

But congrats on doing the Big Purge BEFORE you started instead of lugging everything to Neels Gap like so many seem to.

Mouse
01-22-2005, 12:43
Also Platypus bags are much lighter. They look flimsy but are surprisingly durable. You might have to replace it once, but for the weight savings it is worth it. Yes, Nalgenes are indestructable but water is not so hard to find that it deserves that kind of heavy protection on the AT. Maybe in the desert but not the AT. I think they are heavy overkill.

One thing though, it is good not to use a drinkng tube until after the cold weather is over so it won't freeze. But there are ways to prevent that.

orangebug
01-22-2005, 14:28
Ditto on the platypus bags. I notice you have platty patches. Keep 'em if you got them, but duct tape works equally well.

As one who does not filter or otherwise treat water, I am often amused at comments that health issues won't allow iodine treatment. I carry Polar Pure for use as an antiseptic wash for wounds. I can't fathom a health issue that would prevent iodine use that would allow one to leave the safety of your hospital bed.

I don't carry soap, prefering alcohol gel and boiling water to use for hygiene, cookpot cleaning and sponge bathing.

Deb
01-22-2005, 14:33
A 3.7 oz. sleeping pad?
Details please.

hikerjohnd
01-22-2005, 16:10
I can't fathom a health issue that would prevent iodine use that would allow one to leave the safety of your hospital bed.
I have a thyroid condition that requires monitoring the levels of iodine that goes into my system - I don't use iodized salt because of it. It does not inhibit my lifestyle much at all, but in prep for the hike I met with my MD to review options on the trail.

A 3.7 oz. sleeping pad? Details please.
I have the Gossamer Gear Torso length NightLight sleeping pad - They have it weighing in at 3.7 oz and my scale agrees! I've used it a couple of times now and find it just as useful as a self inflating at keeping your body heat from being drawn to the ground.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/nightlight_torso.html

Deb
01-23-2005, 12:30
Thanks for the link. It looks nice and only $15.95. Can't beat the weight.

A-Train
01-23-2005, 14:01
Weird that it's 18X29 inches. Seems they could have added some length and done without a foot and a half in width. Can't beat the weight or price, but a pad less than 2 1/2 feet in length is not gonna do much for someone over 6 feet like myself!