PDA

View Full Version : Any hiking games?

protargol
04-19-2011, 18:08
So I'm going to be thru hiking with my gf going southbound in June and we were wondering if there were any good games you can play while hiking along. I could imagine 20 questions, I spy, etc would be fun. Anyone come up with their own? Anything cool you can do through the shelter logs? The more ideas the merrier!

Penguin
04-19-2011, 18:44
Play alphabet games like name desserts A-Z, or songs or albums, kids names, dogs names. Also pick up stuff with your hiking sticks and throw it at your friends. Dice are fun with games like Yahtzee, Aces, 3's. Cards rock. Make up a story that you have to take turns telling. Play first to see... Like I win because Im the first person that day to see a snake, or bear, or 3 legged dog. Sing songs. Play association games, like someone says boat, then the next person says Titantic, then the next might say Leonardo De Caprio, then Bill the Butcher, then bastard from a basket. Keeps the brain active.

Bear Cables
04-19-2011, 18:52
You could play "six degrees of Kevin bacon"
My son's and I have had fun with that. How to play...name an actor or actress and have the other player link that person to Kevin bacon through movies.
Example:
Anne Bancroft..Bancroft starred with Dustin Hoffman in the graduate, Hoffman starred with meryl streep in Kramer bs Kramer, Streep starred with bacon in river wild. Got it in four degrees.

fredmugs
04-19-2011, 22:13
I was hoping I had never seen any movie with Kevin Bacon in it but it turns out I've seen 3.

Can anyone go lower than that?

fredmugs
04-19-2011, 22:14
Se how we hijacked your post - you'll need to be able to do a lot of that on a thru hike.

Feral Bill
04-20-2011, 12:26
My kids and I do "guess the amimal", a varient of twenty questions. Always fun. On the drive we play "dilapidated cabin", which you can figure out for yourself, I expect.

WingedMonkey
04-20-2011, 12:31
I have never seen thru hikers play games on the trail. Well none past the first hundred miles.

d.o.c
04-20-2011, 12:32
wiffle ball

max patch
04-20-2011, 12:47
I played basketball at Fontana Village.

shaman.in.a.yurt
04-20-2011, 14:07
pine cone hacky-sack :banana
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/3/2/4/0/5/pinecone.jpg

Trailbender
04-20-2011, 14:24
No, since I can't bring a laptop.

Joker4ink
04-20-2011, 20:30
I play a little game as I hike along...mind you, it may sound dumb. All you need is trekking poles. As I walk down the trails and walk past sticks or blow down (over a foot long), I get the tip of a trekking pole under it and flick it off the path of the trail. I like to see how far I can toss them. It's fun when you do this and try not to break stride.
I also love frisbees...they are timeless and they make small, light ones that fold up. Good for those zero days when you have some free space to toss one.

general
04-20-2011, 20:44
you can play dots with just paper and a pen. spades are good too. you can also draw the board of a board game on a therma rest and just carry the pieces.

Penguin
04-20-2011, 21:05
Russian Roullete:banana

Many Walks
04-20-2011, 22:18
You'll spend most of your time talking about what you'll have to eat in the next town.

Dr O
04-20-2011, 22:28
Task someone with finding a left handed smoke shifter

sizemj
04-21-2011, 09:15
I had some hiking buddies build an obstacle course at the shelter. We called it the shelter Olympics. Jump to this log and then balance on this rock. It was a short day and we had extra energy.

WingedMonkey
04-21-2011, 11:26
I had some hiking buddies build an obstacle course at the shelter. We called it the shelter Olympics. Jump to this log and then balance on this rock. It was a short day and we had extra energy.

Deff not on a thru hike.
;)

weary
04-21-2011, 14:02
I play a little game as I hike along...mind you, it may sound dumb. All you need is trekking poles. As I walk down the trails and walk past sticks or blow down (over a foot long), I get the tip of a trekking pole under it and flick it off the path of the trail. I like to see how far I can toss them. It's fun when you do this and try not to break stride.
I also love frisbees...they are timeless and they make small, light ones that fold up. Good for those zero days when you have some free space to toss one.
I play Joker4ink's little game routinely on all my woodland walks. But my chief game on long distance trails over the years is to try to identify all the flowers and shrubs I see. When something strange shows up, I take a few notes and try to figure out the answer when I reach a bookstore or library.

rjhoffmann88
04-21-2011, 14:12
Take a foldable cribbage board and cards. Small, light, and I never get sick of cribbage.

protargol
04-21-2011, 14:15
These are all great ideas. I don't think anything can be too dumb or silly. The idea is to give your mind something to do so you've got something to think about other than left foot right foot.

Keep them coming

flemdawg1
04-21-2011, 14:20
I play a game as I snore at night, I call it Empty the Shelter. My high score is 3 people gone before 5am.

tigerpaw
04-21-2011, 14:24
I took this from another thread about hiking with kids...first to spot the "white blaze". We literally took off and I had trouble keeping up with my 9 and 10 year olds after I remembered this.

Doctari
04-21-2011, 14:56
Tick tack toe. Without paper.

Number each space (I do R to L, top row to bottom) 1 - 9 & be sure you are both on the same page regarding placement of the numbers.
You "One"
Her "Five"
You (D**N), um, , , , "Three"
Her "Six"
You "Two, I win"

etc.

A little less boring then TTT on paper, but do it fast & it can get interesting. I like to do 2 seconds to respond. And, as you have to keep track of your & her moves (& vice verse) in your head, it somewhat helps with memory & keeping you mentally sharp.

1|2|3
4|5|6
7|8|9

mweinstone
04-21-2011, 15:44
yall need to learn some hiker games. cause these arent it. lemmy showz yaz.

the game called "i call the wall"
its played between thruhikers who know well the benefits and extra privacy, haveing the wall spot in a shelter can mean what with its associated ease of nightime peeing afforded.
as the last mile of the long days hike is hiked,...you call out,"i call the wall!" and sprint at top speed the remaining distance. once the game begins, runners may hold back untill the last minute like a bike race sprint, timeing their efforts. many slips and summersalts have provided much laughing and fun and injury . all in good fun.

the game called "annal camper" is played while hitching to and from town for food and supplys. either while rideing in a car or hitching, when a camper ,ie a vehichle with a liveing space in it like a mobile home,...is spotted , the hiker calles out the name of the camper,(they all have cutsy names like "rawhide" or "honey")but puts the word "annal" in front of it. lots of laughs.

for a fun time, hike with matthewski.

Penguin
04-21-2011, 16:54
"the game called "annal camper" is played while hitching to and from town for food and supplys. either while rideing in a car or hitching, when a camper ,ie a vehichle with a liveing space in it like a mobile home,...is spotted , the hiker calles out the name of the camper,(they all have cutsy names like "rawhide" or "honey")but puts the word "annal" in front of it. lots of laughs."

You forgot to mention the "Lance," "Rambler," "Investigator" and "Stow-away." All work quite wonderfully with the anal game. Thanks for reminding me MW

jcb
04-22-2011, 21:16
The anal game is great with Ford vehicles. Explorer, expedition, excursion, probe etc.