PDA

View Full Version : Side Sleeper in a Blackbird?

dla
04-20-2011, 00:44
Anybody a side sleeper in a Warbonnet Blackbird? Looking for experiences.

kayak karl
04-20-2011, 01:09
Anybody a side sleeper in a Warbonnet Blackbird? Looking for experiences.
never had a problem in any hammock that is 10' and plus
the trunk hammocks which are 9' i have a problem with them at 6-3.
im most comfortable in a 5' by 12' hammock.

Migrating Bird
04-20-2011, 06:22
No problem, I have a WBBB 1.1 dbl. I like sleeping on my left side as the foot box is on the right. I do not use the tie outs and removed them, if you are clostriphobic or do not want the fabric to drape across your face sometimes, then use the tie outs.

Doc Mike
04-20-2011, 07:23
No problems at all in a hennessey and truth be told they are very similar.

Yukon
04-20-2011, 07:46
Sleeping on my side in my Blackbird is my prefered position, extremely comfortable. Oh, and I'm 6'-6" tall, for reference...

Yukon
04-20-2011, 07:47
Also, you should check out...

www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net)

dla
04-20-2011, 14:41
Also, you should check out...

www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net)

You are right - it is an excellent forum for all things "hammock". In fact, I searched this very subject on that forum and came away confused. There were a number of folks complaining that side sleeping caused knee pain. As I'm a ground dweller, I have no personal experience to balance or quantify what folks are posting. I.e. did they have too much sag? Were they taking advantage of the diagonal? Were they 9' tall?

I'm a left-side sleeper. The Black Bird looks like a left side sleeper would have their face smashed into the hammock wall when lying diagonal with their feet in the foot box.

I'm 6'1" tall and been sleeping on the ground since the days of covered wagons and dinosaurs. Last year I bumped into some guys who were hammock enthusiasts while camping at the 9500' level. The ground was nasty, the storms were nasty, yet these guys gave me a sales pitch about how nicely they slept - sure looked tempting.

Ender
04-20-2011, 14:54
No problems at all in a hennessey and truth be told they are very similar.

Ditto. I've even managed sleeping on my stomach in the Hennessy.

Wags
04-20-2011, 17:14
most side sleepers are recommended to get a bridge hammock for a true flat lay... here's one worth checking out...

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/BMBH.htm

scope
04-20-2011, 17:32
Heh, heh, yeah we love to talk about our hammocks, huh? I have a Hennessy and I do sleep on my side some in it without problem, but not like I do at home. I usually end up on my back in the hammock, although sometimes I find it helps to start on my side. The BB has the footbox which makes it easier to extend your legs while on your side, but I do OK with curling my legs up some.

Keep in mind that there is some degree of "in your face" with the hammock material, especially as compared with a tent if that's all you know. It can be a little annoying at first, but its not dealbreaker by any means.

kayak karl
04-20-2011, 17:42
I'm a left-side sleeper. The Black Bird looks like a left side sleeper would have their face smashed into the hammock wall when lying diagonal with their feet in the foot box.

you can order it with the footbox on either side.