PDA

View Full Version : Non-hiker wishes to tackle the AT; can I do it?

crispy_dine
04-20-2011, 08:16
Greetings!

I wish to hike the AT starting this August and would like to go as far as 2 months and my 2 feet will take me. I am NOT a well-versed outdoorsy person, nor am I an avid hiker. I don't even known hiking boots. I am not very sporty.

I have however, hiked the Annapurna trail in Nepal (about 250KM, 14,000ft elevation at summit), and been on various hiking trips that have always nearly killed me, but left me wanting to see more. I have also lived in Africa for the last two years and developed an extremely high tolerance to:
1.barely eating
2.heat--like you wouldn't believe
3.going a long time without showering
4.living without running water/electricity/any modern convenience
5.going long periods of time with no human interaction/seeing someone who speaks my native language
6.having no mental stimulation

So, are these enough qualifications to hike the AT? Is it crazy to just take a backpack and go? I don't want to plan or buy much. I just thought of doing this on a whim...which is how I make a lot of decisions that turn out to be amazing life experiences.

To all you seasoned AT hikers, any advice for an aspiring rookie?

One Half
04-20-2011, 08:34
bring cash to buy the things you will eventually figure out you need

Pedaling Fool
04-20-2011, 08:35
I don't know if you can hike the AT...you may be over-qualified

camojack
04-20-2011, 08:41
Greetings!

I wish to hike the AT starting this August and would like to go as far as 2 months and my 2 feet will take me. I am NOT a well-versed outdoorsy person, nor am I an avid hiker. I don't even known hiking boots. I am not very sporty.

I have however, hiked the Annapurna trail in Nepal (about 250KM, 14,000ft elevation at summit), and been on various hiking trips that have always nearly killed me, but left me wanting to see more. I have also lived in Africa for the last two years and developed an extremely high tolerance to:
1.barely eating
2.heat--like you wouldn't believe
3.going a long time without showering
4.living without running water/electricity/any modern convenience
5.going long periods of time with no human interaction/seeing someone who speaks my native language
6.having no mental stimulation

So, are these enough qualifications to hike the AT? Is it crazy to just take a backpack and go? I don't want to plan or buy much. I just thought of doing this on a whim...which is how I make a lot of decisions that turn out to be amazing life experiences.

Based upon the above, I don't understand why you call yourself a non-hiker.

That being said (again, based upon the above) you sound as though you're qualified.

Where in Africa do you live? I'll be back over there next month, in South Africa... :sun

Ender
04-20-2011, 08:48
You're fine. Plenty of people with truly zero experience go out there every year, and a lot of them make it all the way. You actually have experience, you'll be fine. Go out and enjoy.

berninbush
04-20-2011, 09:39
Don't go out and buy hiking boots. Hike in whatever is comfortable to you. The AT has been hiked barefoot. Lots of folks do trail runners, running shoes, and sandals.

Duff
04-20-2011, 10:27
Try it! The worst thing that can happen is not going and spending the rest of your life wondering. Trust me; I waited far too long for "someday" to occur. The AT re-arranged my priorities and offered fulfillment in ways a lifetime of "waiting for someday" didn't.

LoneRidgeRunner
04-20-2011, 10:47
Go for it Dude. You're qualified..just think of it as lot of "short" hikes done consecutively.

crispy_dine
04-20-2011, 11:04
Thanks everyone for the encouragement!!

I call myself a non-hiker because I don't own any fancy gear, I don't know hiking lingo/jargon, and i'm not much of an athlete. But I love travel, nature, and epic adventures. I enjoy getting dirty and getting lost. I'm also a bit of a masochist... ;)

Where in Africa do you live? I'll be back over there next month, in South Africa... :sun

I'm a peace corps volunteer in West Africa. Are you going to S.A. for work or pleasure?

Driver8
04-20-2011, 11:22

I call myself a non-hiker because I don't own any fancy gear, I don't know hiking lingo/jargon, and i'm not much of an athlete. But I love travel, nature, and epic adventures. I enjoy getting dirty and getting lost. I'm also a bit of a masochist... ;)

Neither John Muir nor H.D. Thoreau had fancy gear, either. You're a hiker - own it!

It would be a good idea to read through some of the thru-hiker prep threads here and to look and see what minimal gear to start with. I reckon good footwear and good clothes are a must, plus some kind of sleeping set-up and a plan for what food and dishware/cutlery to carry. Good luck!

peakbagger
04-20-2011, 12:52
Spend some time reading the articles on the home page of whiteblaze, then get on the trail. Based on your resume, you may want to study about hypothermia and how to prevent it as the AT tends to be a wet with hihg humidity at times and its easy to get caught on a cool day with a stiff breeze.

Other than that, if you are willing to make a few mistakes in the beginning, you should be ready to go and there are all sorts of folks who can help out.

88BlueGT
04-20-2011, 13:02
+9863425 to reading the articles. TONS of great information for someone attempting to thru-hike (or take a multi-month hike).

OldFeet
04-20-2011, 14:22
Sounds like the hiking experience you have, plus you're mental outlook, gives you everything you need for a couple months of the trail. Do you have a particular section in mind? Enjoy your two months.

Panzer1
04-20-2011, 14:26
I enjoy getting dirty and getting lost.

Just remember to get clean before going into eateries. There has been a lot of bad press about dirty hikers going into eateries and stinking up the place. :eek:

Panzer

crispy_dine
04-20-2011, 14:50
Sounds like the hiking experience you have, plus you're mental outlook, gives you everything you need for a couple months of the trail. Do you have a particular section in mind? Enjoy your two months.

No idea, just thought i'd begin at the start, in Georgia. In August. Does anyone have recommendations? I'm reading the articles on the homepage but this is all new to me. I've never been to any of the states the AT traverses (I guess Manhattan doesn't count) so I'm not familiar with weather conditions for that time of year.

Any advice is more than welcome!

88BlueGT
04-20-2011, 15:18
Well if you start in GA in August your going to be hot, very hot. Summer gear only.

If I were you, I would hike through September & October up North, you couldn't possibly get better scenery and weather.

camojack
04-20-2011, 20:47

I'm a peace corps volunteer in West Africa. Are you going to S.A. for work or pleasure?
I'll be on vacation when I go to South Africa. I like vacations... :jump

Driver8
04-20-2011, 22:45
No idea, just thought i'd begin at the start, in Georgia. In August. Does anyone have recommendations?

That time of year, echoing another poster, I'd recommend avoiding the southern stretches and their high heat, starting instead outside NYC and working your way through New England. NY and CT will break you in, some hot days, some warm, mostly cool nights. MA and VT will get steadily steeper, by NH you'll be ready for the challenge presented by the White Mountains, it would seem, then, depending on time available and progress, you can take on as much of Maine as you please. You'd cover just over a third of the trail and would hike into New England's legendarily pretty autumn.

There's a Metro North Rail station at an AT crossing called the Appalachian Trail stop. Fly into JFK, take the subway into Manhattan, get over to Grand Central and hop the Harlem Line (I think) to the AT stop. Bada bing, bada boom, you're hiking.

Many Walks
04-20-2011, 23:07
No need for fancy gear, Gramma Gatewood carried her stuff in a bag. Just put together what you have that will match the weather and you can adjust from there. You've clearly demonstrated your endurance and ability to adapt that is far beyond what most potential hikers possess. You've been more than twice as high as the tallest point on the AT. Go for it, you'll be fine and will have lots of fun!

Hikerhead
04-21-2011, 00:33
I think you should do a speed hike and break the current record.

Trailbender
04-21-2011, 01:19
If you are headed to Africa, don't forget to pack a really good first aid kit, your AK, and plenty of spare magazines.

crispy_dine
04-21-2011, 03:54
That time of year, echoing another poster, I'd recommend avoiding the southern stretches and their high heat, starting instead outside NYC and working your way through New England. NY and CT will break you in, some hot days, some warm, mostly cool nights. MA and VT will get steadily steeper, by NH you'll be ready for the challenge presented by the White Mountains, it would seem, then, depending on time available and progress, you can take on as much of Maine as you please. You'd cover just over a third of the trail and would hike into New England's legendarily pretty autumn.

There's a Metro North Rail station at an AT crossing called the Appalachian Trail stop. Fly into JFK, take the subway into Manhattan, get over to Grand Central and hop the Harlem Line (I think) to the AT stop. Bada bing, bada boom, you're hiking.

This is exactly what I need! Great advice, thank you! I thought of starting in GA because after two years living in africa I have zero tolerance to cold weather, and I don't have any warm clothes. So, I'd like to avoid uncomfortably cold conditions if possible (hot ones, I can deal with). But if the northern stretches are what it's all about in August, then I gotta be there, right? :cool:

Any other trail suggestions based on time of year/weather?

Camojack- Never been to SA myself but I hear it's beautiful. Outside of jo'burg that is... You going on safari?

WILLIAM HAYES
04-21-2011, 22:15
go for it no problem u will adjust as u go

Driver8
04-21-2011, 23:14
This is exactly what I need! Great advice, thank you! I thought of starting in GA because after two years living in africa I have zero tolerance to cold weather, and I don't have any warm clothes. So, I'd like to avoid uncomfortably cold conditions if possible (hot ones, I can deal with). But if the northern stretches are what it's all about in August, then I gotta be there, right? :cool:

You would definitely deal with cold nights and some cool to cold days as you hike northward into New England in the late summer and early fall. To minimize that, you could start in Harper's Ferry and work southward, covering up to 45% of the AT if you have time to make it all the way to Springer.

crispy_dine
04-22-2011, 18:23
You would definitely deal with cold nights and some cool to cold days as you hike northward into New England in the late summer and early fall. To minimize that, you could start in Harper's Ferry and work southward, covering up to 45% of the AT if you have time to make it all the way to Springer.

I can do cold but I don't think i'll be able to handle snow. I have two months - and I'm willing to start anywhere, would just like to see the best scenery, catch the most pleasant weather, and preferably have towns/food stops be closer than further as I don't plan on carrying any more than the bare minimum.

Where can I find a good map of the AT with all the sections people are mentioning? I'm new to this so all these section names are greek to me. I can't seem to find anything good on google images....

Dogwood
04-22-2011, 19:10
I see you are new to WB. Welcome.

Don't get offended. I have away of being direct. Sometimes that can be the best approach to communication, needed change, and, perhaps, growth.

If you need encouragement you'll get that here. If you need someone to tell you what you are capable of in order to hike based on six power points I can't see how someone else can do that for you, although I''m sure some will try.

Unless someone is holding your hand during your entire hike and totally directing it, ultimately, only you, determine what you are capable of! This is true with hiking and life! YOU GET TO determine if you start a hike or end it, smile or cry, laugh or are depressed, succeed or fail, embrace something or push it away, are GREAT or are not!

Embrace that scenario for yourself. Embrace the decision making process for yourself. It's necessary in hiking and in life. You will have to make a multitude of decisions for yourself if you plan on doing a hike.

Qualifications to do a hike? It's not a job interview. Get up! Right now! Walk across the room where you are! You are qualified! I''ll send you a stamped paper, pin, or patch, if you like, saying you are qualified.

Even though YOU DO have backpacking experience on the Annapurna hike, MANY MANY MANY AT backpackers, whether on section or thru-hikes, complete their intended hikes safely and happily every year without any previous hiking experience, without the perfect most expensive gear set-ups, and without being versed in all the hiking lingo. I would venture to say if you asked everyone of them if they felt challenged, were somehow changed, if some traits already in them became more pronounced, or did they have to learn things along the way, they would say YES. Thru-hikes or long hikes, like you are intending, are treks of discovery, adventure, perhaps disappointments, and evolution.

It's up to you what you will prepare for, what attitude you will have, what you will embrace, how you will treat others, and who you will become!

Have a GREAT hike should you decide too hike!

BradMT
04-22-2011, 19:16
I don't know if you can hike the AT...you may be over-qualified

That gave me a good chuckle...

BradMT
04-22-2011, 19:16
Well if you start in GA in August your going to be hot, very hot. Summer gear only.

If I were you, I would hike through September & October up North, you couldn't possibly get better scenery and weather.

Perfect advice IME.

BradMT
04-22-2011, 19:19

Well, hiking the AT takes a bit of planning.

The primary qualification is desire... if you have that, all the rest will get figured out. If you don't have genuine desire, forget it.

Only you can know what's in you...

weary
04-22-2011, 22:14

I hiked most of the trail in 1993 with gear that was then mostly 10-20 years old. I'm still using most of the gear I used in '93. Essentially I hike in clothes I wear everyday in my yard and garden.

Driver8
04-23-2011, 00:34
Where can I find a good map of the AT with all the sections people are mentioning? I'm new to this so all these section names are greek to me. I can't seem to find anything good on google images....

Here's a pretty good map of the AT, in which you can turn on distances (click "Show Distances" link toward top of page). You can zoom in and out:

http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=3

I like to open Google Earth, with photos and roads turned on (other stuff too, as you wish) and refer back and forth between the two.
Postholer, where the map is linked above, also has a lot of online journals kept by AT hikers past and present. Trailjournals.com does as well. I recommend finding a few and reading them. Croft and the Canada Geese from 2010 are both good at Trailjournals. GatorGump, also at TJ, is a fun read from a few years back. You'll learn more of the shelters and sections and landmarks by reading the journals, and picking up a good trail book or two is also useful - I liked the Barefoot Sisters: Southbound, and Walking Home, about two sisters who hiked the trail down and back, Maine to GA to Maine again in 2000-2001.

Chop
04-23-2011, 23:11
I think doing the AT after you COS is a great idea. My wife and I ( we met in TZ as PCVs in the mid 90s) jumped into regular work life. I don't completely regret that, but frankly you'll meet some interesting folks who will most likely be more interested (honestly) in your past two years than the general American population. That is a real part of the transition back into stateside life that doesn't get talked about a whole lot.

Hope to see you out there.

crispy_dine
04-24-2011, 04:12
I think doing the AT after you COS is a great idea. My wife and I ( we met in TZ as PCVs in the mid 90s) jumped into regular work life. I don't completely regret that, but frankly you'll meet some interesting folks who will most likely be more interested (honestly) in your past two years than the general American population. That is a real part of the transition back into stateside life that doesn't get talked about a whole lot.

Hope to see you out there.

Thanks for the support! I was planning on traveling in North Africa for my COS trip but for some reason America is calling me home. I figured two months on the AT will be an interesting way to transition back to life at home. It'll give me time to think and process the last two years.

I hear the transition back can be much rougher than the one in your country of service. I can't even imagine that :eek:

tolkien
04-26-2011, 20:48
bring cash to buy the things you will eventually figure out you need
Very little. Credit cards are safer: cash is a easier target for shifty locals.

tolkien
04-26-2011, 20:50
No idea, just thought i'd begin at the start, in Georgia. In August. Does anyone have recommendations? I'm reading the articles on the homepage but this is all new to me. I've never been to any of the states the AT traverses (I guess Manhattan doesn't count) so I'm not familiar with weather conditions for that time of year.

Any advice is more than welcome!

If you start in Georgia in August you'll be south in summer and north in winter. Bad idea. Start Maine and go south if you can deal with a the hills, otherwise I'd start in Harpers Ferry and go north.

camojack
04-27-2011, 01:26
Camojack- Never been to SA myself but I hear it's beautiful. Outside of jo'burg that is... You going on safari?
Yes, I am going on safari...among other things.

Things like whitewater rafting, riding a quad, canopy tour, cave exploration, a hot air balloon ride, etc. :)

crispy_dine
04-27-2011, 11:12
If you start in Georgia in August you'll be south in summer and north in winter. Bad idea. Start Maine and go south if you can deal with a the hills, otherwise I'd start in Harpers Ferry and go north.

I will be meeting my dad and brother in the Philly/NY/DC area (for a mini vacation) before the hike so I'll start somewhere in that area. I'm wondering now if I should head south or north from there? Weather-wise it seems to make sense to go south but everyone has suggested heading north to Maine to see the NE fall. Thoughts?

I want to see the prettiest scenery but if possible want to minimize my time hiking rainy days/snow.

CAMOJACK- Have a great holiday. That all sounds amazing!

camojack
04-27-2011, 22:21
I will be meeting my dad and brother in the Philly/NY/DC area (for a mini vacation) before the hike so I'll start somewhere in that area. I'm wondering now if I should head south or north from there? Weather-wise it seems to make sense to go south but everyone has suggested heading north to Maine to see the NE fall. Thoughts?

I want to see the prettiest scenery but if possible want to minimize my time hiking rainy days/snow.

CAMOJACK- Have a great holiday. That all sounds amazing!
I'm looking forward to it, thanks.

As for the Philly/NY/DC area (A.K.A. the "Megalopolis"), I'm in the Philly area; look me up if and when you're in town.

Regarding your August start, if you're talking early August, you'll only be about a month behind the "bubble" as it passes the midpoint of the A.T., so depending on your pace it might be doable...but it's not a race, or shouldn't be at any rate. There are any combination of ways to experience the trail, it all depends upon what you're trying to get out of it/put into it...

crispy_dine
04-28-2011, 03:26
Regarding your August start, if you're talking early August, you'll only be about a month behind the "bubble" as it passes the midpoint of the A.T., so depending on your pace it might be doable...but it's not a race, or shouldn't be at any rate. There are any combination of ways to experience the trail, it all depends upon what you're trying to get out of it/put into it...

I'm not racing nor am I trying to get anywhere. I'm ok with starting it in the middle and not finishing at any particular end. Just want to catch the best weather (no snow...less rain...I don't even own a jacket) and see the prettiest scenery. What do you suggest? Should I head north or south?

camojack
04-28-2011, 04:02
I'm not racing nor am I trying to get anywhere. I'm ok with starting it in the middle and not finishing at any particular end. Just want to catch the best weather (no snow...less rain...I don't even own a jacket) and see the prettiest scenery. What do you suggest? Should I head north or south?
August is pretty hot and humid hereabouts, so going North is best to get into cooler temperatures, relatively speaking. If you start in NY, you could possibly make it to Katahdin in Maine (the Northern terminus), depending upon your overall pace...but you'd see the leaves changing, for one thing; that's considered pretty scenery by many. As for snow, it can happen in September, and I would suggest acquiring a jacket if you head North.

Personally, I'm planning to be hiking on the A.T. in Shenandoah National Park for Labor Day Week, which is South of where you want to begin. If you decide to head South from the "Megalopolis", maybe I'll run into you there. It will be comparatively warmer heading South, although up on the ridges it still gets cold, especially at night. Either way, I would suggest acquiring a jacket, particularly if you want to go all the way to Springer (the Southern terminus). In any case, there's pretty scenery in both directions.

Ultimately, the decision of where to begin and which way to go is entirely up to you...

weary
04-28-2011, 13:03
If starting in early August, I would head north from Delaware Water Gap. Massachusetts and Connecticut are both leisurely and pretty. Lots of ancient stone walls, and abandoned farm hill country. Good places to get in shape for Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

You'll need a warm jacket for the Presidential Range in the White Mountains. and for chilly evenings in Maine in September. Rain can never be predicted in advance, except it is sure to happen, mostly in afternoon showers and occasional multi day storms.

The south in my experience is most beautiful in April and May. New England in August and September.