PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hiking for Leadville 100 training

realPajamas
04-20-2011, 09:08
Hey all,

I'm currently on the trail, hoping to complete a ga to me in about 105 days.

I'm also registered for the Leadville 100 this Aug.

Soliciting ideas for converting thru hiking fitness into ultra fitness.

A little background. I thru hiked the pct finishing late oct last year. I'm averaging 17 a day right now on the at with a bunch of zeros so far. Normal day right now is 26 mi in 10 to 11 hrs. Soon, I'll up the average to 23 a day or so. I've been doing some short trail runs on my zero days.

I have lots of high altitude experience, and plan to get to leadville at least 5 weeks before the race to acclimatize and check out the course.

So, what do yal think. If I average 140 to 160 miles on the trail each week, average speed without breaks about 18 min per mile, and then spend the 5 weeks in Leadville trail running? I worry my biomechanics will be exceptionally good for fast packing, but not running. Would you take a zero from hiking each week and go on tempo trail runs? I've thought about slacking once or twice a week for 30 or so miles at running pace, but don't want to deal with those logistics. I've also been doing some 24 to 30 hour nonstop pushes on the trail. I think these pushes are good ultra specific training, but poor strategy for sustained thru hiking.

JAK
04-20-2011, 09:38
If your base load is light enough, you might consider trail running the last day before resupply. Even on the other days when you are carrying more food you might mix in some running every other day, particularly up hills, with some bounding. Not alot. Also, some ABC running drills and dynamic stretching at the start of each day. Listen to your body. Keep the load light. Stay springy.

jbwood5
04-20-2011, 09:50
Hey all,

I'm currently on the trail, hoping to complete a ga to me in about 105 days.

I'm also registered for the Leadville 100 this Aug.

Soliciting ideas for converting thru hiking fitness into ultra fitness.

A little background. I thru hiked the pct finishing late oct last year. I'm averaging 17 a day right now on the at with a bunch of zeros so far. Normal day right now is 26 mi in 10 to 11 hrs. Soon, I'll up the average to 23 a day or so. I've been doing some short trail runs on my zero days.

I have lots of high altitude experience, and plan to get to leadville at least 5 weeks before the race to acclimatize and check out the course.

So, what do yal think. If I average 140 to 160 miles on the trail each week, average speed without breaks about 18 min per mile, and then spend the 5 weeks in Leadville trail running? I worry my biomechanics will be exceptionally good for fast packing, but not running. Would you take a zero from hiking each week and go on tempo trail runs? I've thought about slacking once or twice a week for 30 or so miles at running pace, but don't want to deal with those logistics. I've also been doing some 24 to 30 hour nonstop pushes on the trail. I think these pushes are good ultra specific training, but poor strategy for sustained thru hiking.

You should be in good shape to complete the LT100 assuming you have completed other 100 mile runs. The backpack hiking (esp thru) puts you in the right mental state to complete this run. The time you put on your feet is the key here and going out to acclimate to the altitude is a huge plus. I would recommend you get at least 3 to 4 weeks of distance running in after your hike and be sure to start slowly and build up. You really don't need anything longer than a 30 mile easy long run about 2 weeks before the event and definitely very little running the week before. I assume that you plan to complete your thru by mid July or earlier.

The trick to Leadville is to go out slow. You don't realize the oxygen deficit until about 40 miles when you begin the climb over Hope Pass. If you went too fast, you will pay dearly on that climb.

Back in the day when I did 100 mile runs, I always felt they were easy after being on the trail for a couple of weeks with a 30+ pound back pack on. (In fact much easier than hiking). Leadville is a very tough 100 but you will be in better shape than 3/4's of the field. If this is your first 100, it could be hit and miss, but I still give you far better odds than most. Just hang back and stay about mid pack. Do not stay in the far back since a lot of those folks will not make it.

Pedaling Fool
04-20-2011, 10:14
Well, I'm not coach or nothing and definitely not an expert. But generally I'd say, no. The AT thru-hike is not good for preparing oneself for a leadville 100 run. A thru-hike is very good for establishing a very solid aerobic base. But to prepare for a one-day 100-mile run you would need to basically run the AT during your TH, kind of like what JAK said, but to just hike it...No.

That would be like running marathons to practice for a sprint race. (I understand the leadville is not a sprint), but the point is the body is a little lazy and when you train it in one endeavor, like hiking(walking) with weight and then try and do another different thing like running all day and into the night the body is going to freak out on you.

BTW, I'm sure you're not talking about doing a TH and then go right into the race, but how much time are you talking about between the TH and the race?

realPajamas
04-20-2011, 10:15
Thanks yal. I hammer the uphills at 3+ mph to get my hr in the low 160s. That's my hr when out running at a good pace for me. I need to learn to run downhill efficiently, but can't do that with a pack. I'm all ready a big boy, and knees won't take it.

Once spring reliably arrives, I hope to drop the baseweight enough to run. Now at about 15 lbs with the cold weather gear. In Hampton tn now. Hope to finish July 4, but that's ambitious. Mid July more likely.

What do yal think about the 45 to 60 nonstop pushes on the trail? Unnecessary? Counterproductive? Good fatigue training? Sure is fun to log big miles, but with downtime after, it's no faster for me than consistent 20 something days.

realPajamas
04-20-2011, 10:27
John, I'd like to finish up and go to Leadville 6 weeks ahead of time. And I just want to finish the 100 in 28 or 29 hours, not compete.

I know I'll need resting time, and while I do acclimatize well, at least a month out there is my minimum desire.

jbwood5
04-20-2011, 10:34
Thanks yal. I hammer the uphills at 3+ mph to get my hr in the low 160s. That's my hr when out running at a good pace for me. I need to learn to run downhill efficiently, but can't do that with a pack. I'm all ready a big boy, and knees won't take it.

Once spring reliably arrives, I hope to drop the baseweight enough to run. Now at about 15 lbs with the cold weather gear. In Hampton tn now. Hope to finish July 4, but that's ambitious. Mid July more likely.

What do yal think about the 45 to 60 nonstop pushes on the trail? Unnecessary? Counterproductive? Good fatigue training? Sure is fun to log big miles, but with downtime after, it's no faster for me than consistent 20 something days.

Well the biggest thing is, don't injure yourself by treking too fast with the backpack on. You'll get your heart rate up going up to Pond Flats in the next few hours.http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
If you've got a decent running background in your history, you will be fine.
A 100 miler is nothing like a road marathon. It is like a super fast slack pack hike with a lot of easy (fully aerobic) jogging mixed in. You climb the mountains just like you hike them and running the downhills is fun but requires precise foot placement and concentration. Once your backpack comes off and you are down 10-15 pounds, you feel so unrestrained that trail running feels like the latest new drug. :banana
JUST GO slow in the beginning.

jbwood5
04-20-2011, 10:42
John, I'd like to finish up and go to Leadville 6 weeks ahead of time. And I just want to finish the 100 in 28 or 29 hours, not compete.

I know I'll need resting time, and while I do acclimatize well, at least a month out there is my minimum desire.

28-29 hours is a decent goal for LT100 for the first time. Most of the trail terrain is not extremely technical but you have some wet areas after Twin Lakes (before the big ascent). Expect at least one calf deep creek crossing. Also be prepared for lightning and possible hail near the top of Hope. It happened a couple of years back and took a lot of people out because they got too cold. Heck... I see you are from Colorado.... you know all that. Be sure to give us a report when you are done. Good luck!

Ladytrekker
04-20-2011, 12:23
I commented on another thread this is such a coincidence. I watched a documentary last night called "Indulgence" about Anton Krupicka two time winner of Leadville 100 and many others. His training is intense he runs 200 miles a week while training for an ultra. He works and is in grad school. He said in an update that he is training for a race he came in 2nd last year wants to right it. He did the LV 100 in 16 hours. Recommend seeing this film really interesting about someones obcession to complete things.

Pedaling Fool
04-20-2011, 16:46

Alrighty then, you got my blessing:);)