PDA

View Full Version : Freebie gear.

flemdawg1
04-20-2011, 10:19
Do I know how to get your attention or what? :D

Yesterday I got a 0.5 liter platy-type bladder from an aviation conference. Other conference freebies over the years: LED lights (including an LED mini-maglite), stuff sacks, compasses, carabiners, travel pillow, nalgene/sports bottles, even a poly polo shirt.

What have you been able to get for free?

flemdawg1
04-20-2011, 10:20
Also most of my shirts are freebie t-shirts from races I've been in (running).

Hikes in Rain
04-20-2011, 11:12
I need to go to better conferences. All i ever get are coasters, can covers, pens and such. Although I did get a pen with a thumb drive in it. Not hiking gear, but...

Sickmont
04-20-2011, 14:37
Let's put it this way. I will never, EVER need to buy a notepad or a pen ever again. And i'm pretty sure i've got a good start on cornering the market on pocket screwdrivers and boxcutters.

EastCoastFeastCoast
04-20-2011, 14:40
My hiking partner can't really afford new gear, so I usually upgrade a little sooner than I need to and give him the "old" stuff.

Sierra Echo
04-20-2011, 15:16
My hiking partner can't really afford new gear, so I usually upgrade a little sooner than I need to and give him the "old" stuff.

I'm impressed! Thats really nice of you!

Dick Proenneke
04-20-2011, 15:22
What have you been able to get for free?

A great pair of snowshoes made by an Inuit friend of mine. They've lasted close to twelve winters now--that's longer than any other pair have lasted!

88BlueGT
04-20-2011, 15:41
By far the best thing I've ever gotten for free was 'The Packa'. Absolutely amazing piece of gear (IMO) and didn't spend a single penny. Need LW raingear that doubles as a pillow, pack cover, jacket, rain jacket, etc. Buy a packa!

Anyway, I've also received an esbit stove for free once. Besides that, nada.

88BlueGT
04-20-2011, 15:42
A great pair of snowshoes made by an Inuit friend of mine. They've lasted close to twelve winters now--that's longer than any other pair have lasted!

Thats pretty awesome

Jack Jouett
04-20-2011, 21:58

Wow, it's great to see you on here, Dick! I really loved your book!
How are things these days up in Alaska?

As for freebee gear: I have never been on the receiving end, but I regift old gear to my brother. And I'm happy to do so!:sun

flemdawg1
04-20-2011, 22:24
Don't feed the troll. The real one died in 03.

Trailweaver
04-21-2011, 00:55
I haven't gotten much in the way of backpacking gear, but I've scored big time in water sports gear. Every year I participate in a Canoe-a-thon, and so far I've won: a kayak, a canoe, three (one for three years in a row) trips to a luxury mountain retreat for a weekend, another weekend retreat at a cabin in another location, and a large framed photo of the river we've paddled. I've also accumulated a huge wardrobe of T-shirts and a shopping bag full of water bottles.

What I really need is to find a "source" for backpacking gear to win: a "tent-a-thon" or something like that! Anyone got any ideas to share?

flemdawg1
04-21-2011, 08:15
Oh yeah that reminded me that I did win a TNF daypack from Altrec Pack-a-day-giveaway. I'd totally forgotten about that one.

WINNER!

WingedMonkey
04-21-2011, 11:36
Don't feed the troll. The real one died in 03.

And that's the same troll... different name...but this time he died in 1822

TexasEd
04-22-2011, 18:47
An old 70s (guessing) self inflating therma rest with brass valve. Still works perfectly.