PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen

hikerjohnd
01-21-2005, 22:30
So now that you all have made me an alcohol stove user, I started fooling around with windscreen options. The stove I bought (ebay) came with a video that had instructions for making a screen out of aluminum foil. I tried and felt the screen wasn't strong enough for long lasting use, but I liked the weight. So, I added aluminum tape to the top, bottom, and sides of the screen and it is very rigid, without adding much weight at all (the tape alone weighs 0.4 oz and the whole screen weighs 1 oz)

- You can kind of see the tape in the photo!

What do y'all think? Ideas for improvement?

grandview
01-22-2005, 00:12
looks good

SalParadise
01-22-2005, 01:04
looks good. one idea as well is to go to a grocery store and buy one of those large aluminum turkey pans. If you cut the bottom out of it, it makes for a very durable, lightweight windscreen.

Footslogger
01-22-2005, 11:27
So now that you all have made me an alcohol stove user, I started fooling around with windscreen options. The stove I bought (ebay) came with a video that had instructions for making a screen out of aluminum foil. What do y'all think? Ideas for improvement?==============================
The one I use with my Trangia is made out of heavy duty aluminum foil and looks a lot like yours. I triple folded the foil so that it would cover from the ground up to the bottom of my cook pot. I also used aluminum tape on the loose edges. It made it all the way from Springer to Katahdin and is still useable.

One thing you need to add though is some ventilation holes near the bottom edge of the windscreen. Take a regular paper-punch and make holes about a half inch up from the ground and about an inch apart. Alcohol stoves need good ventilation in order to work efficiently. Otherwise you're going to smell a lot of alcohol vapor fumes when you're cooking.

'Slogger
AT 2003

grandview
01-22-2005, 13:41
looks like holes already punched looking at the picture

SGT Rock
01-22-2005, 17:27
How to make a good windscreen: http://hikinghq.net/sgt_stove/wind_screen.html

hikerjohnd
01-22-2005, 17:31
How to make a good windscreen: http://hikinghq.net/sgt_stove/wind_screen.html
Sarge - Like the link - I thought of using the stove liner, but for a first attempt... Was wondering what your screen weighs in at? Thanks!

SGT Rock
01-22-2005, 17:34
For my current stove the bottom reflector and windscreen are at 0.3-0.4 ounces. I haven't checked it lately LOL. The stove and reflector together are up to 0.8 ounces, but I think with a little refinement on making the stove part I might drop another 0.1 ounces. I did have the stove and windscreen down to 0.6 ounces, but I beefed it up a little for a taller windscreen and better pot support.

SGT Rock
01-22-2005, 18:41
Current weight is 9 grams for the windscreen and bottom reflector.

The stove using the latest method is 13 grams.

Total = 22 grams for the whole thing.