PDA

View Full Version : Duncannon hike?

joec
04-20-2011, 13:45
I am planning my fall hike. On this one I go out by myself for a couple of days and then my wife meets me for the last 5-10 miles and we would walk into town. Which way into Duncannon would be the best (easiest) for my wife's enjoyment, coming in from the north or south? Any other thoughts on this hike appreciated.

Panzer1
04-20-2011, 14:45
If you come in from the north side she will have to cross the bridge on foot. I never liker crossing that bridge on foot.

Panzer

BadAndy
04-20-2011, 15:39
Coming into town NOBO from Rt. 850 is a good day hike. The climb in is fairly easy but the ridge gets rocky. Hawk Rock is one of my favorite views in that area, just a mile from town. The onlt problem is that the descent from Hawk Rock into town has a very steep section and a small rock slide to cross.

If you come in SOBO you'll have your choice of two good parking areas, Rt. 325 or Rt. 225. Again, the walking is mostly flat with some rock hopping as you get closer to the river. Persoanlly, I don't find the descent nearly as challenging and you'll still have some good views. Like Panzer said, coming this way you have to cross the bridge and then walk to the other end of town to get to the Doyle and "downtown" area.

Hoop Time
04-20-2011, 18:39
Panzer is right. The bridge sucks, especially in hot weather. It's basically a highway walk across the river. And Andy is also right, the view from Hawk Rock is nice (though if you come in NOBO, on a clear day you can see downriver to Three Mile Island from on top Peters Mountain and there are also some other nice views that direction.

The question probably is which direction would you prefer, and that may be in part determined by how many days you want to hike. Coming SOBO is a little more challenging terrain and a little more remote than crossing the Cumberland Valley between Boiling Springs and the Scott Farm, which is flat and crosses a lot of roads.

Personally, as long as you end up with a cold one at the Doyle, you can't go wrong either direction.

joec
04-22-2011, 11:37
What I usually do is park in town, get a shuttle out about 30-40 miles, depending on the terrain. My wife comes into town, takes the same shuttler and meets me about a days hike out. We camp and walk into town the next day. I plan this so it is as easy on my wife as possible. She hates tough uphills, so I plan of the easiest path.