PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Hardwear Men's Phantom 15° Down Sleeping Bag

hikingshoes
04-20-2011, 14:15
I'm in the market for a new down sleeping bag. I came across this MH 15* dergree down bag and i like the weight at 1lb 15oz, 800 fill. Anyone every used this bag? I look forward to your input. Thanks HS

http://www.summithut.com/products/mens-phantom-15-down-sleeping-bag/

Duff
04-20-2011, 14:50
Great bag! Really warm and really light. Temps are accurate; I do use a liner to keep down the "funk" in the bag. I chose it after being very happy with another MH bag (Phantom 45); can't say enough about the MH bags. I bought mine at REI.

Phreak
04-20-2011, 14:56
The only two bags I use are the Phantom +15* and +32*. Great bags!

1azarus
04-20-2011, 16:27
I have a phantom 15, too, and love it. I am a short guy, so i bought a woman's bag. my lighter summer weight bag is a western mountaineering. the phantom quality is right up there with the WM.

Chubbs4U
04-22-2011, 03:47
If I may ask, why the Phantom over the Plasma?

STICK
04-23-2011, 00:26
I'm in the market for a new down sleeping bag. I came across this MH 15* dergree down bag and i like the weight at 1lb 15oz, 800 fill. Anyone every used this bag? I look forward to your input. Thanks HS

http://www.summithut.com/products/me...-sleeping-bag/ (http://www.summithut.com/products/mens-phantom-15-down-sleeping-bag/)

It all comes down to girth...how does it measure up for ya?

hikingshoes
04-23-2011, 01:25
It all comes down to girth...how does it measure up for ya?

Specifications

Temperature Rating:15 Degrees FInsulation:800-Fill Goose DownWeight:Regular - 1 lb 15 ozLong - 2 lb 1 ozLength:Regular - 78 inLong - 84 inShoulder Girth:Regular - 60 inLong - 62 inStuff Size:8 x 14 in

I think the Long maybe my better route to go, but i think i just need to go a check some out in person and lay in them. I dont care for the weight in the long at 2lbs 1oz, the reg was looking good at 1lb 15oz, but that really isnt a big difference. I may come over and check your bag out if thats ok. HS

STICK
04-23-2011, 01:51
According to the MH site (http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Phantom%E2%84%A2-15-%28Regular%29/OU8439_R,default,pd.html), a weight is listed at 2 pounds 1 oz, but it is not stated as to if it is the regular or the long...

I am not sure that I would suggest getting a long just to meet your shoulder girth though. Then if you do, it will only add more weight, plus you are adding extra space to heat up. I would suggest going bigger in the actual girth, not length to fit you.

Also, for that price range, I would suggest looking at the Western Mountaineering bags. The Alpinlite (http://www.hermitshut.com/wemoalslbag.html) is 1 lb 15 oz, and only $25 more. If you get it through Hermits Hut, you can even get 3 oz of overfill (for the Alpinlite) for free, of course though, it will add overall weight to the bag. (You can also get free shipping and a free synthetic pillow, or a down pillow for only $5 more.) However, the Alpinlite has a 64" shoulder girth...The Alpinlite is rated to 20 F.

The Versalite is rated to 10 F, costs about $40 more and weighs an even 2 pounds. It totes a 62" girth which is somewhat larger than the MH Phantom. Same great free stuff if purchased through Hermits Hut as on the Alpinlite.

And like I said, I love my Helium. Marmot makes a great bag. However, my Helium weighs in at 2 lbs 2.5 oz.

When I got it I got it because it was listed at 31 oz, at REI. Come to find out, that was the weight listing for the older model Heliums. The Marmot site had it right (2 lb 2 oz). But I kind of pulled the trigger because it was sub 2 pounds. So, you can imagine my disbelief when I received it at home and put it on my scale. When I told REI about it, they told me that the 31 oz listed on their site was only an average listing. I tried to explain to them that that was the wrong average listing, but they didn't get it obviously...

However, even though my bag weighs 3 oz more than I anticipated, I love it and wouldn't trade it for another. I have used it lower than the 15 F rating (although it is rated to 16 F by EN ratings). I have no need to pack it to the possible packed size it will go to, which is described as a loaf of bread. All I can say is that it is sweet...

I do have plans of purchasing a 0 F bag though, and it will be the WM Kodiak MF...

R00K
04-25-2011, 20:31
I've been looking at the 40, but I think I'm going with a JRB TQ instead.

pyroman9
04-26-2011, 22:01
I am thinking of ordering one of these two, i got to play around with my friends, its one hell of a bag. Extremely light and feels to be very well constructed. Thanks for the great reviews, i think you guys seeled the deal with this.

hikingshoes
04-28-2011, 23:37
I was thinking about a TQ as well. I could you it for my sleeping bag when i use my tent or use it in my hammock as well. I'm just playing it by ear right now.HS

hipseo1
05-17-2011, 05:53
Nice bag. It has a full length zip, so its comfortable to use. The bag contains all the features that the customer wants. This is the best one to use.

pyroman9
05-17-2011, 20:43
Mine shipped today, cant wait!