PDA

View Full Version : Optimus Crux # 3

STICK
04-20-2011, 19:04
Well, yesterday the UPS man again snuck (is that a real word?) up on my porch and rather than knocking on the door and handing me the package, just set it outside. (The FedEx guy does the same thing...I found a package stowed around the house that has been there at least a week...) I found the UPS guys package this morning as I was walking out of the house to bring the kids to school and go to work...

Anyway, the contents of the package was another Optimus Crux stove. This is the 3rd one to date.

To make a long story short, the first one was not very stable, and the second one went completely ka-put a few weekends ago.

(For a more detailed description of what happened, go here (http://sticksblog.com/2011/04/20/optimus-crux-3/).

The OC that arrived yesterday seems to be a winner though. The head is stable, and I have full control of the flame control/gas flow. Me thinks this one will be much better than the previous 2...

However, I don't even use it. I like my alky stoves too much...

HHmmm...

flemdawg1
04-20-2011, 19:15
I've had a Crux Lite for 2+ years and never had a problem.

Trailbender
04-20-2011, 19:23
I just use a bent piece of sheet metal with esbit tabs.

Tyler
04-20-2011, 19:30
I've had a Crux Lite for 2+ years and never had a problem.

Same here. Nice stove in my opinion.

STICK
04-20-2011, 20:25
I opted for the regular Crux when I initially got it because I liked the way that they folded down and got just a little smaller. But I do agree with yall too, these are pretty nice little stoves, even though it took me 3 of them to get it right...The first one with the wobbly head was an older design, but the burner on it rocked. The 2nd one locked down tight, but something was wrong somewhere and the gas flow was not quite right. This one locks down tight and the gas control is sweet. I can easily go from simmer to lighting up the house...

Although I have been happier with my White Box Stove...the Crux will continue to be a loaner I guess...

harryfred
04-21-2011, 21:16
I LOVE! my Crux I just got it a month or so ago and have played with it here at the house and taken it on two hikes and has been perfect. Note I just want boiling water and I want it now. I did notice to simmer might be a little delicate. I got the Terra cook set and it is light and compact.

STICK
04-21-2011, 22:01
harry,

With my first one, adjusting the flame low was just as easy as turning it all the way up. I was amazed at how low I could turn the flame with such ease. This is how I knew that something was wrong with my 2nd one right out of the box...I could describe that one as delicate...However, with this one (the 3rd one) it is quite easy to control the flame. I can turn this one down so low that it will not even keep the water at a slow boil, just steaming, and it is simple.

After owning 3 of these, it seems that these stoves are pretty much hit or miss. If they work, they work perfect. Otherwise they are quite finicky and end up biting the bullet...

300winmag
04-23-2011, 01:50
I have a Brunton Flex which is essentially a Crux with one more pot support and a different wire valve handle. It's made for Brunton by Primus.

To keep the sliding collar from wearing and becoming looser I put a very small amount of synthetic motor oil on it.

Eric

STICK
04-23-2011, 12:10
Thanks for the tip. If I keep it for a while, I will keep it in mind. The sliding collar on the ones I have had were never loose though. The first one I had simply would not meet the bottom of the burner head. There was a gap between the bottom of the head and the top of the collar so it was just wobbly. The other 2 are quite fine though. Collar slides fine and the collar and head meet up, so no wobble!