PDA

View Full Version : Tired from a tough hike? Rescuers fear Yuppie 911

WingedMonkey
04-20-2011, 19:58
Tired from a tough hike? Rescuers fear Yuppie 911
I would have posted this under humor, if it wasn't so scary.

In the span of three days, the group pushed the panic button three times, mobilizing helicopters for dangerous, lifesaving rescues inside the steep canyon walls.
What was that emergency? The water they had found to quench their thirst “tasted salty.”
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/worldnation/407822-227/tired-from-a-tough-hike-rescuers-fear.html

general
04-20-2011, 20:03
before the panic button, natural selection would have taken care of these types of problems.

kanga
04-20-2011, 20:04
and this is why spot is the dumbest shiznit EVER. learn the necessary skills (that doesn't involve punching buttons) or stay your stupid butt home.

kanga
04-20-2011, 20:04
before the panic button, natural selection would have taken care of these types of problems.
natural selection needs to catch up.

general
04-20-2011, 20:08
rescuers need the 3 strikes and you're out option.

Hikerhead
04-20-2011, 20:19
Tired from a tough hike? Rescuers fear Yuppie 911
I would have posted this under humor, if it wasn't so scary.
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/worldnation/407822-227/tired-from-a-tough-hike-rescuers-fear.html

This one is really interesting..

"In September, a hiker from Placer County was panning for gold in New York Canyon when he became dehydrated and used his rescue beacon to call for help."

To pan for gold, what is the main thing you got to have? :)

general
04-20-2011, 20:20
beer............

kanga
04-20-2011, 20:23
gold?......................

Sarcasm the elf
04-20-2011, 20:30
Very small rocks.....

John B
04-20-2011, 20:30
Idiots. A pan.

general
04-20-2011, 20:37
no no no. i know, it's mercury

JAK
04-20-2011, 20:38
Two problems.
1. Foolish hikers.
2. Foolish technology.

It is foolish to have such devices as these in this day and age without also having any means of direct communication in the case of emergencies. The only time there should be a distress beacon without direct communication is when the situation is serious enough that people are unable to communicate, or the situation is still serious, and communication has failed.

kayak karl
04-20-2011, 20:43
the hiker "Mercury"??

One Half
04-20-2011, 20:46
these people should be charged the cost of the "rescue."

general
04-20-2011, 20:50
no like mercury the element

JAK
04-20-2011, 20:50
The people that sell such inappropriate technology should also be charged.

general
04-20-2011, 20:51
these people should be charged the cost of the "rescue."

more organizations are implementing this very policy every day. aviation fuel isn't cheap.

kayak karl
04-20-2011, 20:53
now thats just stupid. take another break.!!

JAK
04-20-2011, 20:55
more organizations are implementing this very policy every day. aviation fuel isn't cheap.If they were really serious, they would sue the people that sell these devices.

JAK
04-20-2011, 20:56
now thats just stupid. take another break.!!Don't shoot the messenger.

kayak karl
04-20-2011, 21:02
Don't shoot the messenger.
these people are idiots and should be fined, but you go after the device. it makes no scene. hate to hear your opinion on guns. ??

Many Walks
04-20-2011, 21:05
This is really starting to catch on. Yuppie newbie hiker room service. Push a button and a helicopter crew brings you bottled water. I'm sure they believe they're entitled.

general
04-20-2011, 21:06
i don't agree with the panic button devices either. i think one has three levels of oh sht. one is call home, and everything is ok, one is some sort of distress, but not bad distress, and the other is panic, panic, panic. i think that is the "spot on" or "on spot" or what the heck ever it's called. that's better, but still kinda rediculous. as far as sueing the retailer, i'm sure some lawyer would take the case. can't really blame some company for preying on people's fears and making a buck. money's money.

Sarcasm the elf
04-20-2011, 21:07

I hate to say this, but I have to agree. If their product is causing a strain on limited public resources (in this case the rescues) then at some point they may need to bear part of the cost.

general
04-20-2011, 21:08
This is really starting to catch on. Yuppie newbie hiker room service. Push a button and a helicopter crew brings you bottled water. I'm sure they believe they're entitled.

they have paid their taxes.

Jim Adams
04-20-2011, 21:13
I hate to say this, but I have to agree. If their product is causing a strain on limited public resources (in this case the rescues) then at some point they may need to bear part of the cost.
You mean like people wrecking while talking on their cell phone...the cell phone company should pay the rescue bill?
Come on....let stupidity take care of the problem...yes, natural selection works if given the chance.

geek

WingedMonkey
04-20-2011, 21:16
If they were really serious, they would sue the people that sell these devices.
Maybe not sue..but maybe hold responsible and then let them collect from the customer.
At first I was like "why did rescue come three times?" But I realized the actual calls to rescue are made by the service that sold/provides the panic button. Rescue has no way of knowing who they are responding to.
And there should be no option not to be removed from the scene. You push it....you are going out.

kayak karl
04-20-2011, 21:16
you mean like people wrecking while talking on their cell phone...the cell phone company should pay the rescue bill?
Come on....let stupidity take care of the problem...yes, natural selection works if given the chance.

Geek
thank you......

TallShark
04-20-2011, 21:17
in no way should the company be held liable. It's the operator of the product that misused a public service, not the manufacturer of said product.

general
04-20-2011, 21:18
a good pr move, for companies that produce panic button devices, would be to give a percentage of profits to some search and rescue organization, very publicly of course.

kayak karl
04-20-2011, 21:23
in no way should the company be held liable. It's the operator of the product that misused a public service, not the manufacturer of said product.
your right. also this is a very, very helpful tool for small plane pilots (that is what it was made for)

JAK
04-20-2011, 21:43
Citizens should be permitted to carry hand guns, rifles, and shot guns,
but not hand grenades, land mines, or weapons of mass destruction.

Just saying idiots will always exist,
but the problem could be mitigated with better technology.

No emergency beacons to novices with some communications capability.

JAK
04-20-2011, 21:44
I meant to say:
No emergency beacons to novices WITHOUT some communications capability.

Sarcasm the elf
04-20-2011, 21:47
You mean like people wrecking while talking on their cell phone...the cell phone company should pay the rescue bill?

geek

You make a good point.

What i was really trying to say is that is bugs me that some of these companies make a product which costs the public thousands of dollars each time it's used as intended, and that they don't have any responsibility for this cost.

You all are probably right that giving the bill to the idiot that sends out the distress call because they are scared of a thunder storm would probably be the better option.

kayak karl
04-20-2011, 21:53

i have a 911 system in my apt building. kids pulled the pulls and I, I got fined. 5K later and a video system the fines stopped.
you use the word "novice"? is there a class for this?
FINE THE IDIOTS FOR MISUSE
why didn't they just use the help button. (sorry, you didn't know it had a help button.:D)

general
04-20-2011, 22:00
if i pulled the pin on the emergency locator beacon that i have for work, for no good reason, I would get my ass whipped and then fired. period. same for them. someone hits the panic button for some bottled water, and the rescue group gets to take turns taking out frustrations. figure out who gets paid by whom later. first, the search and rescue team is going to split any cash and take a trip to the bar on any credit cards found on said morons.

Graywolf
04-20-2011, 22:16
I think Spot os a good device, but only in the hands on experianced and responsible hikers.. I have seen many instances where it has benefited someones life. But yes, There are Morons out there. If it wasnt Spot, they would have just dialed 911 on the cell phone.. So is 911 stupid technology too?

But these hikers activating Spot because they were unsure of the water was pur pathetic...What dumb yuppies...

Dr O
04-20-2011, 22:21
The device should only work once.

flemdawg1
04-20-2011, 22:22

How am I supposed to take down a deer at 3000m without a fly-by-wire missile?

Many Walks
04-20-2011, 22:48
they have paid their taxes.
Not that it really matters regarding a rescue, but how would you possibly know they've paid taxes?

I don't know that they've paid any taxes, but it does appear they are teaching the next generation how to be more dependent on the government for things they should be responsible for themselves. Not good considering the problems this country is facing. These folks will be pretty helpless in a really serious situation.

Trailweaver
04-21-2011, 00:45
"In September, a hiker from Placer County was panning for gold in New York Canyon when he became dehydrated and used his rescue beacon to call for help."

To pan for gold, what is the main thing you got to have? :)

Well, Duh! He couldn't drink the water after he'd been panning for gold - he made it all muddy!! ; - 0

Bucherm
04-21-2011, 08:25
http://youtu.be/P531IaBGRHU

Interesting John Stossel video about this subject.

Raul Perez
04-21-2011, 09:01
Wow a bunch of tool bags for pressing the SOS Button. The article doesn't say it was a SPOT device just a locator beacon. I have the SPOT II device for the benefit of my family at home otherwise I would be happy to hike without it (less aggravation when I go multi-day trips solo).

The SPOT II actually has 3 pre-set messages you can activate and assign numbers and emails to prior to your departure. An OK button for checking in, a preset message button for maybe another check in or leaving the trail early due to malfunction, an 811 button to alert your family and friends you are in trouble but not enough for medical attention and to come and get your butt, and finally the SOS button for when the SHTF.

Chances are I will almost never push that SOS button unless I broke my leg. I always carry a compass and a map and never go off trail too far if I'm stealthing for the evening so getting lost wouldnt be a problem in my opinion.

JAK
04-21-2011, 09:50
Wow a bunch of tool bags for pressing the SOS Button. The article doesn't say it was a SPOT device just a locator beacon. I have the SPOT II device for the benefit of my family at home otherwise I would be happy to hike without it (less aggravation when I go multi-day trips solo).

The SPOT II actually has 3 pre-set messages you can activate and assign numbers and emails to prior to your departure. An OK button for checking in, a preset message button for maybe another check in or leaving the trail early due to malfunction, an 811 button to alert your family and friends you are in trouble but not enough for medical attention and to come and get your butt, and finally the SOS button for when the SHTF.

Chances are I will almost never push that SOS button unless I broke my leg. I always carry a compass and a map and never go off trail too far if I'm stealthing for the evening so getting lost wouldnt be a problem in my opinion.Very informative and helpful post. Thanks.

The logical step would be to discontinue the SPOT I devices.

Raul Perez
04-21-2011, 10:05
The SPOT I also has similar features. The SPOT II just has an additional check in feature and a tracking button. SPOT II is smaller, lighter, and has a couple more features. That's about it.

Pedaling Fool
04-21-2011, 10:09
Too much value is placed on human life. Talk about unsustainability.

JAK
04-21-2011, 10:11
How difficult would it be to have a device that can provide 2 way satelitte communications in the even of emergencies? Wouldn't it save alot of money? It wouldn't use much additional bandwidth if it was for emergency use only, so it would really be just the cost of the phones/locators themselves.

Mr. Carter
04-21-2011, 10:13
The device should only work once.

I think this...sums it up perfectly. (And natural selection of course)

Pedaling Fool
04-21-2011, 10:21
How difficult would it be to have a device that can provide 2 way satelitte communications in the even of emergencies? Wouldn't it save alot of money? It wouldn't use much additional bandwidth if it was for emergency use only, so it would really be just the cost of the phones/locators themselves.
Yes the cost would be too much, at least environmentally. Why can't we intervene when any animal becomes a victim of natrual circumstance. However, when humans get in trouble, come hell or high water we need to save them. Isn't that part of the reason there are so many roaming around. After all don't we have a soul, it's not like we really die or anything;)

Raul Perez
04-21-2011, 10:21

They have satellite phones which cost the same amount as a smartpone without the discount of having a 2 year contract with a phone company ($400).

JAK
04-21-2011, 10:31
Yes the cost would be too much, at least environmentally. Why can't we intervene when any animal becomes a victim of natrual circumstance. However, when humans get in trouble, come hell or high water we need to save them. Isn't that part of the reason there are so many roaming around. After all don't we have a soul, it's not like we really die or anything;)Just saying it would be preferable to provide idiots with 2 way communication devices, rather than just preset distress messages. That's my point. Then someone could tell the guy how to tie his shoelaces or whatever rather than sending out a rescue helicopter. Charge the idiots by the minute rather than put rescuers lives and taxpayer dollars at risk, so that some damn SPOT company can profit at other peoples expense.

We have the technology, but our society is broken.

Pedaling Fool
04-21-2011, 10:42
In all seriousness, they'll find a solution, part of which will be in the form of fines. I'd be willing to bet that more money is wasted on bogus 911 calls, but of course one bogus 911 call doesn't result in as much of a money expenditure...what's that sayin', death by a 1,000....

SawnieRobertson
04-21-2011, 10:53
I absolutely could not afford it, but to appease my family and get them off my back about all the terrible things that could happen to me, yadadada . . . I bought a SARLink. I also signed up for MASA. So, okay, if I am lying at the bottom of a cliff still alive though somewhat shaken, I can notify SAR of my whereabouts. Once they find me, they can call for a helicopter or whatever else they need with some assurance that they will be reimbursed financially. MASA will even return my poor old dead body to my home, prepaid. Etc. The bottom line, however, at least for the SARlink is that it will never be used if there is ANY other way for me to be saved. The last thing I ever want to experience is being the recipient of SAR or needing to be. Still, the one time I might ever need it, I am glad that I have done everything I can to help them back. Oh, yeah, it also allows me to send a message to Owl each day, saying that I am okay. This is really quite the deal.--Kinnickinic

kanga
04-21-2011, 11:21

the hiker "Mercury"??

http://www.bobgruen.com/files/asst/R.072%20FREDDY%20MERCURY%20MSG%2077.jpg

JAK
04-21-2011, 11:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj9QCoBl9Xk

LDog
04-21-2011, 11:51
Several years ago, I shot footage for a NASA piece on EPIRBS in vessels. We went to several Coast Guard facilities where I was directing scenes in which the station got the call and responded. I tried to get the folks to show a sense of urgency, but they told me it doesn't really work that way cause some ungodly percentage of calls are from false alarms.

Like in "The Boy Who Cried Wolf," the tragedy will be when someone who is genuinely in need of assistance suffers cause rescuers are jaded.

Sickmont
04-21-2011, 14:33
Jeez. Talk about stupid people. And yeah, they should be billed for their "rescues". They do it here in Florida. You call 911 for nothing important and guess what? You just paid the salaries for the day for the cops who respond.

sbhikes
04-21-2011, 15:14
I think that these technologies do not make us safer after a point. Having search and rescue makes us safer. Having easy access to it does not. It's like how putting seat belts in cars made us safer, but now that we have seat belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes, back-up cameras, and now even alerts that tell you when you are too close to an object, we are now actually making driving less safe because people take more risks, are not as careful and more vulnerable to distraction.

I think in the case of the spot devices they should not be allowed to have direct access to search and rescue. People should have to resort to getting help the old-fashioned way.

Also, people should be taught the following subjects in school.
- How to balance their checkbook
- Debt and interest
- How to cook from scratch and do laundry
- Common horse sense (i.e. if the water tastes salty, drinking it a) will kill you, b) will keep you alive long enough to go home, c) tastes that way because your face is salty from being out in the hot sun.)

trailangelbronco
04-21-2011, 15:59
I push the SOS button everytime I am faced with a 1000Ft or higher climb. It is so nice getting the helicopter ride up to the top. It also allows more miles per day. I also have the rescure crew stop and get Ice Cream and cookies on their way out.

general
04-21-2011, 18:03
Not that it really matters regarding a rescue, but how would you possibly know they've paid taxes?

I don't know that they've paid any taxes, but it does appear they are teaching the next generation how to be more dependent on the government for things they should be responsible for themselves. Not good considering the problems this country is facing. These folks will be pretty helpless in a really serious situation.

every single time, i've pulled some moron baby out of the woods for no real reason, and something is mentioned about paying for the backboard ride down the mountain, the answer that is given always resembles, i've already paid my taxes and you people work for the government, i don't owe a dime.

the one that i like the best was, my taxes pay your f-in salary, you work for me boy, now do your job. buddy got dropped on some really sharp rocks.

by the way, it is now up to rescuers involved, and the incident commander, on any search and rescue operation that Georgia DNR gets into, if the person gets charged or not. that's av-gas, personel time, vehicle fuel, dog time, and any other cost associated with an operation, and we do charge a pain in the ass fee as well.

One Half
04-21-2011, 18:08
by the way, it is now up to rescuers involved, and the incident commander, on any search and rescue operation that Georgia DNR gets into, if the person gets charged or not. that's av-gas, personel time, vehicle fuel, dog time, and any other cost associated with an operation, and we do charge a pain in the ass fee as well.

the way it should be!

JAK
04-21-2011, 23:16
Part of the problem is that there are alot of people making a living off of consumer stupidity.
I think our economy is addicted to stupidity even more than it is addicted to oil.

TIDE-HSV
04-22-2011, 00:10
I haven't hiked now in the Alps in a good many years, but, back when I did, I purchased the available rescue insurance, as it was (sure it still is) the common practice to charge prices for rescue which would make your hair stand on end. It just seemed to me that it would feel a lot better seeing that copter coming over the ridge was paid for. However, several years ago, I signed up for CDW on a rental car in Norway, only to find out that the fine print made me a co-insurer up to $1K, and the little Focus had gotten backed into in Lillehammer...