PDA

View Full Version : Hammocking at Boiling Springs, PA

kolokolo
04-20-2011, 21:09
I am going to be hiking from PA850 to Pine Grove Furnace in about a week, and I may stop for the night at the site near Boiling Springs. Has anyone hammocked there? I know it is close to the railroad tracks and probably noisy, but I just want to make sure that hammocking there is possible. (I will try to make it to at least Alex Kennedy shelter, but want to have a backup plan).

Thanks for any advice or experience you have.

Wags
04-22-2011, 10:06
when i hiked through that section i stayed at some old couple's house in town and hammocked in their back yard. i guess you could probably stealth down near the river. i'm not sure what site you're talking about? headed the direction that you are i'd say you better hope to make it past the town at least a mile into the mountains. you can stealth before the shelter if you are totally gassed...

ki0eh
04-22-2011, 12:00
He's probably referring to the designated campsite just south of B.S., the Sunday Farm aka "midnight train" site. There are a few trees between the field and the train tracks, I recall that as brushy but it's entirely possible something got cleared out enough to work. I just haven't been there myself with hammock in hand looking for trees.

Toolshed
04-22-2011, 17:07
I recall scrub trees - overgrown areas off the meadow by the tracks. I cannot recall any larger trees that you could feasibly hang from.

TaDa
04-23-2011, 19:11
I would strongly recommend not hammocking at the designated camping location just south of town. It's basically a corn field next to the train tracks. Trains often come through in the middle of the night and make a lot of noise. Hike about one mile or so south of town and you will find trees to hang in.

kolokolo
04-25-2011, 22:50
Thanks for the info. I will plan to get to the Kennedy shelter at least.

Spider
05-03-2011, 12:50
let me know how it goes. I go to college a few miles away from there and would really love to get out there for a trip on a slow weekend or something.

ki0eh
05-03-2011, 12:58
The no camping restriction south end is Center Point Knob which is about 3/4 mile short of Alex Kennedy heading sobo. There appear to be fairly well used dry campsites on the north side of CPK just slightly into the no-camping area. Since the private land adjacent to these spots (plus more old charcoal flats besides) has now been purchased by the National Park Service, I would hope official tent sites could be created back in this area on the north side of CPK or partway down the hill to where the cornfields start. I'm not in the CVATC anymore, so I don't know if that's already under consideration.