PDA

View Full Version : Blue cheese?

Bootstrap
04-21-2011, 07:09
How does blue cheese hold up after a day or two on the trail?

I'm considering something along the lines of:

- Idahoan potatoes
- Blue cheese
- Walnuts

That's all stuff I have on hand and I'm avoiding a shopping trip before I leave tomorrow morning ...

Hikes in Rain
04-21-2011, 07:54
Given that blue cheese is already moldy (that's what the "blue" is, apologies in advance if that's too much information :sun), it's hard to imagine it going too bad.

Seriously, though, it should hold up fine for a couple of days. Blues tend to be softer cheeses, so expect it to soften up some out of the refrigerator. But that sounds like it might just fit right into your plans for it, anyway.

It's good to remember that we make cheese to preserve milk for long term storage. This was done well before we invented refrigeration.

WingedMonkey
04-21-2011, 11:40
Can be extended if you wrap it in a piece of paper towel dampened with vinegar.

mweinstone
04-21-2011, 16:25
Can be extended if you wrap it in a piece of paper towel dampened with vinegar.

that is so cool. adding you to my list of folks i despise for knowing crap i wish i was dispised for knowing first. damm thats sweet. that could save lives on an enormous scale. really cool. what else you got?
not kidding, i search out and collect weirdo knowlage and thats just the kinda funk i look for.

in other news, the basis for blue, my fave, is brie. witch is the single least able to hold up cheese before marscapone. all the soft cheeses are out but for cold weather and mild weather. above 65 and over 24 hrs and the blue would have to be consumed.because it would turn into a really creammy ,yet hour by hour, less trusty foodsource. of cource in the end, it could be eaten rotten and you could die.best to scarf that softer cheese at home. stiltin or saga would be to soft. perhaps their is a rock hard blue.