PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Alone

Marisa242
04-21-2011, 07:24
I just want to know if anyone has hiked the Rainbow Falls Trail/Horsepasture River in Gorges State Park? This trail also ends at the State Park line and continues into the National Forest. I know this is a small hike at 8 miles round trip, but is it safe to go alone? I have never been to this area so I do not know if there will be a lot of people on the trail or not. I am more worried about crazy people rather than a bear or other animal. Any Suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Marisa

Tenderheart
04-21-2011, 14:16
I have never hiked this particular trail, but have hiked the Foothills Trail many times. I would probably not recommend going alone. Not because of humans or other animals, but because of the possibility of getting injured and being alone. This area is very remote and there may or may not be other hikers. Another option for you would be the Table Rock trail on Hwy. 11 north of Pickens, SC. This trail is 7 miles round trip, is very strenuous, and will be quite inhabited. Just a thought.

litefoot

mweinstone
04-21-2011, 16:05
women can hike alone . but dont. you see, it dosnt matter the trail. women are prittyer than men. bad people collect pritty women. not ugly men so much. the woman who hikes alone takes a risk no man ever can or does. that risk is too high. their are some circomestances when woman hike safely alone. they occur at random times and some not so random. places determine the risk as well. if i were a woman, with baby makeing equiptment onboard,....i would take precautions. one , might be a partner when hiking such a trail as the one mentioned.

Wise Old Owl
04-21-2011, 18:46
:(Oh Matty - not again.:(

XrayDuke
04-21-2011, 21:12
I hiked to Rainbow Falls last summer with my daughter and there were so many cars at the trail head that we didn't think we would find a place to park. If you go on a weekend you will not be alone. The trail head also had 2 park rangers setting at the start of the trail. Probably not as crowded this time of year but you should be safe if alone. It's a beautiful hike and Rainbow and Turtleback Falls are great.

mweinstone
04-21-2011, 21:15
thaught it was remote and full of scary. sorry. id be scared to be a chick. sorry. i trust no one for good reason. sorry.

brian2o0o
04-24-2011, 09:18
I hiked there about a year and a half ago. I don't think it was 8 miles though, more like 2 in and 2 out. The trail will dead end past turtleback falls before you get to bust your butt falls. Bust your butt falls can be seen from the trail, but it is now on private property. Last I heard they had someone out there looking for people trespassing. Like xray said, there will be lots of people around on the weekends, but probably pretty quiet during the week. I do remember a park ranger being at the trailhead... If I remember correctly, there are some other falls in the area with separate trails and parking areas.

Papa D
04-24-2011, 10:54
I think hiking alone is lots of fun and do it often - I also think it is fine for women - I dislike the double standard (that somehow it is safer for men to hike alone) - yes, there have been incidents and hiking alone does have some inherent dangers for both sexes. Nevertheless, I would advise a solo woman hiker to be cautious especially when discussing plans with strangers. The best practice with strangers is as follows:

Be friendly but not familiar - be a little vague.
Tell them your husband or boyfriend is meeting you if that makes you comfortable
Be ready to move along if you find yourself camped near sketchy folks - this also begets a good fitness level. My guess is that if you are interested in solo hiking, you're pretty fit.
8 miles is cake (assuming good weather and other conditions) - go do it and have fun!