PDA

View Full Version : Miles per Day

deafinmyleft
04-21-2011, 10:02
Hi all,

I'm planning a 470 mile hike from CT to WVA with a friend. We're 20/22yrs and collegiate runners (our long runs are up over 20miles and our weekly mileage is about 80). We're looking to make 2 refueling stops along the way. I know this isn't much to go by, but does anyone have an idea of how many miles per day is reasonable? I'm shooting for 16-17. 10 before lunch, 6-7 before dinner.

Thanks for the help!
Luke

Montana Mac
04-21-2011, 10:34
I did many 20+ mpd between Harpers Ferry and the CT/MA line on my 09 hike and I was 60 yoa at the time.

ChinMusic
04-21-2011, 11:06
Hi all,

I'm planning a 470 mile hike from CT to WVA with a friend. We're 20/22yrs and collegiate runners (our long runs are up over 20miles and our weekly mileage is about 80). We're looking to make 2 refueling stops along the way. I know this isn't much to go by, but does anyone have an idea of how many miles per day is reasonable? I'm shooting for 16-17. 10 before lunch, 6-7 before dinner.

Thanks for the help!
Luke
I think your plan is reasonable with a caveat.

Runners tend to have all the aerobics they need for the trail. What they lack are the stabilizer muscles, that are needed on the uneven trail, that are not used as often when running flat.

You are young, and presumably strong, but do not be surprised if you get pretty sore until those stabilizers get toughened up. Listen to your body. You prob have the aerobics to push yourself to hard too fast in the beginning.

Bags4266
04-21-2011, 11:26
20 plus miles a day is easy if you are in the shape you say and your pack is below 25lbs. If you break camp by 8am and stop at 6pm thats 10 hrs of hiking. I'm a 50yr old guy non runner good shape and I avg over 20 a day.

garlic08
04-21-2011, 11:44
My 63 yo partner and I (51 at the time) usually made "twelve by twelve"--12 miles by noon. Most of our days in that area exceeded 25 miles. We had light loads and lots of hiking experience, but your ambition is certainly not impossible. The most important thing is to have fun, or the mental game will be the toughest part.

Not sure what you mean by two "refueling stops". Does that mean days off trail? Because there are so many grocery stores and restaurants in that region, we called it the "deli-a-day tour", especially when you start making 30 mile days.

fredmugs
04-21-2011, 11:49
I think your plan is reasonable with a caveat.

Runners tend to have all the aerobics they need for the trail. What they lack are the stabilizer muscles, that are needed on the uneven trail, that are not used as often when running flat.

PUH-leaze. I spend maybe an hour a day doing cardio on an exercise bike 5 times a week. I do zero running or hiking prior to my AT section hikes. I can hit the trail doing 20 miles on Day 1 and 20 miles for as many days after that as I want.

Only problem you may have over that stetch is boredom.

deafinmyleft
04-24-2011, 04:49
Thanks all! I'm trying to keep the pack below 50lbs, and it sounds like budgeting for 17 a day should definitely be reasonable.

Best,
Luke

jersey joe
04-24-2011, 07:42
Luke, CT to WVA is the easiest part of the trail to make good mileage on. I think you will find that 20+ mile days are fairly easy if you can hike for a good part of the day. Concerning other posts here, i'd be more concerned about blisters than stabilizer muscles and keeping your pack weight down is a huge advantage. I hiked with over 50lbs on my thru hike and if I went out again, I'd probably aim for closer to 20.

Jaybird
04-24-2011, 08:39
THRU-hikers average 12 miles per day...but
If you must...a load of younger hikers do the 20+ mile day thang...
start out slow...or BLISTERS will be your constant companion...just sayin'...

Good Luck!

Bobby
04-24-2011, 08:53
get you pack weight down. sounds like you and your buddy plan on hiking most of the day. most heavy stuff is for camping. share stuff with your partner - you will walk right past many resupply spots(or at least close) during that stretch, no need for just two.
get your pack weight down - easiest way to make comfortable miles
shoot for 30 or under

moldy
04-24-2011, 10:00
I think your number of refueling stops

moldy
04-24-2011, 10:03
Sorry, fat fingers. I think your number of refuiling stops is way low. Every 4 to 5 days will get your pack weight down enough to make good miles. Plenty of re-supply places.

Papa D
04-24-2011, 10:36
Your plan sounded a little pushy but reasonably until you posted that you wanted to keep your pack under 50 (FIFTY) POUNDS! That is a CRAZY weight for someone doing the miles you suggest. I regularly do section hikes solo and average 16 - 20 m.p.d. (depending on the section) and sometimes longer but I try to keep my pack under 30 POUNDS. Obviously, hike your own hike, but from a planning standpoint (ESPECIALLY A TEAM OF 2) - you should be aiming for 50 pounds TOTAL for the 2 of you (25 lbs each) including food and water. You will have lots more fun and the energy to do big miles. Have fun. (FYI, I did the CT section a few weeks ago - in the snow.)

deafinmyleft
04-26-2011, 14:09
Thanks all for the tips. I reconfigured it and I think I can keep the weight at 30lbs stopping every 5 or fewer days. Good call! Just did a hike with ~35 pounds and that'll serve as the max I'll be carrying (including water, etc).

I'm a little worried about obtaining the maps for NY/NJ however -- are they doing work on this section of the trail? All the stores I've checked are out of the maps.

JAK
04-26-2011, 14:20
35 is not a bad max, and at your age it should be very manageable. As you put the miles in experience and fitness and personal preference and routine should take care of the rest. Keep your mind open. When you get bored with one thing, such as hiking mechanics, take an interest in another, like nature, or history, or whatever. Don't rely to much for people for guidance as they are unpredictable. Be open to good guidance and inspiration, but have a fallback routine for finding your way back if you find you are taken in the wrong direction, metaphorically speaking, or otherwise.

10-K
04-26-2011, 14:39
When I was in my early 20's I worked in a lumberyard and I noticed that most of the time us young guys would grab 2-3 pieces of plywood at a time and toss them on our shoulder while the "old" guys would carry one at a time or go get a forklift.

I mentioned it to Ward, one of the older guys and he said, "You young guys work with your back. Us older guys work with our brains."

You're never too young to work with your brain - get as light as your experience will let you.

Skid.
04-26-2011, 15:18
That schedule sounds reasonable to me, and don't rule out a few miles after dinner. I find that sometimes after stopping and cooking a meal about 4:00 or 5:00 pm, I'm ready to do another 2-3 miles, then all I have to do is set up the tent before dark.

Dogwood
04-26-2011, 15:29
Oh boy MPD! So many factors can play into this and we can get so caught up in it!

Some cautions: There are some obvious cross over benefits when going from running to backpacking! BUT THEY REALLY ARE NOT EXACTLY THE SAME! Just as someone who plays the center position on a NBA team can apply benefits achieved in that sport to another sport it does not make them an NFL player, regardless of position, or a professional beach volleyball player. While you have strengthened some muscle groups and your cardio is adequate, your mental focus and stamina required on 20 mile runs helps, your age MAY! help, etc add a pack, sounds like a heavier pack at that, add that you may not be traveling on the same surface when you backpack as you when run, add that you will not be going home taking a shower, etc after those 20 + mile per day backpacks, like you probably do on 20 mile runs, add that since you go on 20 + mile runs and avg about 80 miles total per week, which translates into about 4 days per wk of running you will now be ratcheting it up in total weekly mileage while doing more miles per day backpacking for greater continual lengths of days(more than 4 days of activity straight, you don't get those recovery days off like you did while running!), and JUST THOSE THINGS CAN make a difference between the two activities. There are other considerations, both pros/cons, to crossing over.

I'm not saying backpacking is oh so difficult or you can't do what you are planning, but as I notice quite often by those who are experienced in one sport/activity they translate those abilities from that sport and think it automatically makes them a proficient backpacker. What I' m saying is there are differences between running and backpacking!

IMO, starting at 8 a.m., as someone else suggested, and stopping for lunch around 12 -1 and expecting to do 16-17 miles puts you in the 3.2 - 4.25 miles per hour range(if my math is about right). IMO, and I think most will agree, that's a rather quick pace even for a seasoned backpacker hauling a low/UL wt pack! Consider that you are new to backpacking, play in some of what I already mentioned, etc. That's quick! My advice: rethink that scenario! Ratchet back the MPD, at least at the start, and adjust MPD, possibly increasing MPD, as you advance! You could also hike for longer hours at a more relaxed pace and achieve the same MPD achieved by someone hiking at a faster pace for shorter hours. In my experience those that hike the biggest MPD, not only hike for long hours, but also at a faster than avg pace!

Don't be a shotgun hiker. Out the gate fast but without BACKPACKING STAMINA! I see quite a few injuries incurred by hikers who go out the gate too fast or push a fast pace, especially at the start. I notice this even occurring to those physically fit and athletic but with little or no backpacking experience.

TO ME, one of the things that I HAVE to achieve when backpacking is having a generally good time, AND that doesn't always mean, TO ME, I have to hike fast or hike big/bigger MPD, although I'm certainly capable of BIG MPD days for extended periods!

ChinMusic
04-26-2011, 15:36
I'm not saying backpacking is oh so difficult or you can't do what you are planning, but as I notice quite often by those who are experienced in one sport/activity they translate those abilities from that sport and think it automatically makes them a proficient backpacker. What I' m saying is there are differences between running and backpacking!
Yep, that is why I said he would prob be sore the first day even though his cardio would carry him well. Little muscles not used as much in running, but used in backpacking, need to be strengthened.

It reminds me of my son going from soccer to basketball while in high school. He was in run-all-day shape during soccer. Soccer ended on a Friday and basketball started on Monday. He was sore as hell. Just the difference between running/cutting on grass and wood made a difference. I would never have guessed it.

Dogwood
04-26-2011, 17:06
Sorry about this Deafinmyleft. My computer screen is flickering. I misread your initial post. Thought I was reading 16-17 miles before lunch not for the whole day. Much of what I said still applies though.

Take from my first post what might help you on your hike. Have a great hike!

peakbagger
04-26-2011, 17:31
I ma not a runner but your planned route has some very rocky sections including the infamous PA rocks. There are a lot of runners in the whites that have no issues with rocks, but they tend to be stationary. PA rocks seem to be "bred" to be unstable leading to very unstable footing no matter what speed you are running. From Southern PA to WV (really to Springer), the trail is predominately old woods roads so I expect you would have no issues with your mileage assuming the PA, and to slighly lesser extent NJ and NY rocks dont cause an injury.

deafinmyleft
04-26-2011, 21:07
Great advice. I think I'll start off doing around 15mi/day. I'm leaving CT on June 3rd and hoping to arrive in Harpers Ferry by July 2nd or 3rd for a July 4th celebration with relatives. I just did an 18mi hike in moderate terrain, and while I was sore the next day (and I can't attest to how I'd feel after a week or so of those) I felt pretty good.

Skid - Thanks for the advice on getting a few miles in after dinner. It's not a bad idea, especially if I find we're wanting an early rest. I'm planning to break out the stove for breakfast and dinner (and maybe a fire if permitted), and eat a cold lunch.

Dogwood - Thanks for the advice! I'm used to running everyday (minimum usually around 10-11mi, with a weekly long run at 20mi), so I think I have the stamina for a daily hike, but I see where you and others are coming from with cautioning against converting running stamina to hiking.

I'll be trying to keep it light! I'm using the Kelty Coyote 80,
bringing 2x Nalgene 1L bottles and a 2L camel pack (partner will be bringing similar),
2.5lb Kelty mummy bag,
stove + isopro fuel
REI Passage 2 tent (5 lbs. 5 oz.)
less than 1lb cookware
Clothing (shorts, dry-wick pants, 3xsocks, 3xdry-fit shirts)
food (planning for 5500 calories/day)
And more! That's all the heavy stuff I can think of off the bat.

Thanks all for the help and advice! These forums are great!

Luke

ChinMusic
04-26-2011, 21:31
I just did an 18mi hike in moderate terrain, and while I was sore the next day (and I can't attest to how I'd feel after a week or so of those) I felt pretty good.

Dogwood - Thanks for the advice! I'm used to running everyday (minimum usually around 10-11mi, with a weekly long run at 20mi), so I think I have the stamina for a daily hike, but I see where you and others are coming from with cautioning against converting running stamina to hiking.

But it was a "good sore", right? IMO the first morning would be the worst. After that I'm guessing you are golden as long as you listen to your body.

I'm 52. I struggle early on a section hike (coming from flat-land Illinois) but by the end of a week's trip I feel great. Looking forward to seeing what happens on trips longer than one week.

deafinmyleft
04-26-2011, 21:47
It was a great sore! One that would go away given a few miles walk

stranger
04-27-2011, 07:21
I agree that running isn't the best preparation for long distance hiking, but it helps, no doubt about it.

If you lack the resources to train properly, ie a local trail with decent elevation changes, I find treadmill running/walking, and walking stairs with a pack all help out quite a bit.

Also, CT to W. VA is a fairly easy section with some exceptions in NY near Harriman where there are some short, sharp climbs and some rocky bits, NJ is a fairly easy state but rocky in many places, and PA is by far the easiest state in my opinion, especially after the rocks chill out a few miles out of Port Clinton (heading south).

I hiked the mid-atlantic from Waynesboro to NY, about 500 miles and I never carried more than 4 days of food, there are heaps of places to resupply, long easy ridgewalks, etc...

Final note, educate yourself about Lyme Disease and make sure you use Permethrin or something to avoid those ticks, it's called Lyme Disease cause it was originally found in Lyme, CT. And ticks are most prevalent along the mid-atlantic states.