PDA

View Full Version : Parking at FS42

sonnynGA
04-21-2011, 14:08
WBer's

I'm planning on hiking the GA section in mid May. Was planning on Parking at FS 42, tagging Springer then finishing at Dick's Creek. Wanted to know if parking is plentiful and safe at FS 42 for a week as well as the other end at Dick's Creek.
Thanks.

-Sonny

Mizirlou
04-21-2011, 14:21
Good parking both ends. Crowded on weekends so get there early for a spot. Never had probs myself. Last time I was at the northern end there appeared to be some undercover action going on. Alleged hikers looking suspiciously like popo.:cool:

shoe
04-21-2011, 14:35
There was vandalism at the Springer parking lot last year. I don't know that I would leave it there for an entire week.

Dick's Creek is a very small parking and typically very crowded on the weekends.

max patch
04-21-2011, 15:39
I personally wouldn't worry about it, although like shoe said there is the rare report of vandalism at fs42.

If you are really concerned about it you can park the "best" vehicle at Amicalola State Park instead of Springer and hike the approach trail. That'll add a day to your hike.

brickwoodjr
05-16-2011, 20:23
This thread is kind of in the same subject as my questions so ill just ask here. I plan on driving up to Amicalola State Park area on friday night, catching some sleep, then start hiking on saturday morning. I plan on doing 4 days north, then 4 days back down, are there motels in the area i can stay at friday night? Also, can i leave my vehicle at the state park for that long without any problems?

Sierra Echo
05-16-2011, 20:50
There is a lodge at Amicalola, other then that the closest motels/hotels are in Dawsonville and thats about 20 miles away. You car should be safe at the park, but you do need to go register it at the visitors center.

brickwoodjr
05-16-2011, 20:58
Gotcha, with a little research i was able to see that there is also a shelter at the park, do you know what the hours of the park are?

Sierra Echo
05-16-2011, 21:50
Park Hours: 7AM to 10PM
Office Hours: 8AM to 5PM
Lodge open 24 hours - AmicalolaFalls.com (http://AmicalolaFalls.com)

Here is the link to the park:

http://gastateparks.org/info/amicalola/

Bare Bear
05-17-2011, 15:52
I would NOT leave a vehicle at FS42. The top Lodge parking area would be a lot safer and is about a mile? to the top. (can not recall and am on work break) Check in with the Park Ranger for sure with the description and your plan.