PDA

View Full Version : lost at road crossings

skooch
04-21-2011, 14:37
I'm new to the AT and this is a tough question to narrow down using the "search" on this site.

How common is it in the southern half of the trail to loose your way after a road crossing?

Is the other side of the road well marked with a white blaze?

Do you need a map to help you know if you need to travel left or right for a while?

I'm thinking about downloading maps. Traveling NOBO from Springer. thanks

royalusa
04-21-2011, 15:00
How common is it in the southern half of the trail to loose your way after a road crossing?

Rare, but it could happen. If you don't have a directional blaze (a blaze offset from the other blaze that tells you to turn right or left) and your guidebooks does not mention a direction, just look both ways and it's usually self evident - look for a worn path or a sign or a blaze or an information board or a parking lot. You shouldn't walk for too long after a junction like this without seeing a blaze. If you don't eventually see evidence of the trail, then try the other direction. No big deal.

[/QUOTE]Is the other side of the road well marked with a white blaze? [/QUOTE] Not always WELL marked, but eventually it is marked.

[/QUOTE]Do you need a map to help you know if you need to travel left or right for a while? [/QUOTE] Now, you've opened a can of worms. Some hikers swear by maps...others don't use them. We thru-hiked in 2008 and did not use maps and did not have any issues. If we were to hike the trail again, we would still go without maps. But you need to do what you are comfortable with...HYOH.

sizemj
04-21-2011, 15:01
They are usually well marked. I have never had any issues. Just follow the white blazes and signs. I carey a map and compass, but only needs them for trail info and distance, not navigation

Mizirlou
04-21-2011, 15:13
Hi, Skooch. Very well marked. Not a concern. Easy peasy.

Not sure if you’re section hiking or thru but here are your GA maps:
http://www.georgia-atclub.org/trail/map.htm

Copy the elevation maps. Keep one section at a time safety-pinned to your shirt so you can lift it to eye level while you walk. You’ll be obsessed (at first) with the humps ahead of you, and relieved to see the progress behind you.

Skidsteer
04-21-2011, 15:22
Lots of info and photos on parking and road crossings at this site:

http://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_menu.aspx

mweinstone
04-21-2011, 15:53
ive never guessed right. i just allways know when im walking the wrong way cause its the way i walk first right before i turn around. every crossing and after each break on the trail i become lost and do this. by going the wrong way you allways know where you are cause you were just their twice. then i just turn and walk the other way knowing it must be the right way cause its the first time i walked it and cause i just confirmed the wrong way for extra sure. thats how i allways did it. i think its better than carrying maps.

mweinstone
04-21-2011, 15:56
its kinda like nobody finds south without checking north but without the magnetic mandate causeing that rather choice. i choose to fail. then im sure of the direction of success.

mweinstone
04-21-2011, 15:57
going the wrong way is my natural magnetic declination i must recalibrate all navigational devices to by either useing them upside down or leaving them at home......lol.

skooch
04-21-2011, 16:06
Thanks guys. I just had a bad dream about this last night and woke up a little freaked. I planned to use AWOL's guide. God forbid if I oprn another can-of-worms map debate :)
Matthewski how are your dreams/nightmares lately?

Hikes in Rain
04-21-2011, 16:10
Only once in 238 miles, at Hogpen Gap. It was really foggy that day, and although there are blazes on posts for the longish walk north to the trailhead, I couldn't even see across the road! Took a couple of minutes of casting back and forth to convince myself which way to go.

Kerosene
04-21-2011, 18:25
I haven't seen much of a difference between the northern or southern portion of the Trail; it seems to be more correlated with the maintainer of the section, in that some crossings are very obvious, others are well blazed, and others expect you to have x-ray vision. While I've gotten a touch frustrated at some road crossings, I've never been confused for very long.

Rain Man
04-21-2011, 21:12
it seems to be more correlated with the maintainer of the section, in that some crossings are very obvious, others are well blazed, and others expect you to have x-ray vision. While I've gotten a touch frustrated at some road crossings, I've never been confused for very long.

Same here. Usually the trail goes straight across and usually there are blazes you can see.

However, I have on occasion had to walk back and forth trying to find the trail. Frustrating since simple, good blazing would avoid the problem. And sometimes you have to walk down the road a piece and it's not well marked as to which direction. But usually the map gives you a sense of which direction to walk looking for where the trail turns off the road again.

Don't worry, you won't be "lost" long.

Rain:sunMan

Tenderheart
04-22-2011, 08:37
In 2000, I met a known NOBOer heading south. He had gone into the woods to see a man about a horse and got turned around. He actually walked half a day in the wrong direction. I felt sorry for him. I would not carry maps, personally, but you must be aware. A good rule of thumb was relayed to me by CPT Leo: Right turn into the shelter, right turn out of the shelter.

litefoot

skooch
04-22-2011, 10:40
Are all the shelters heading NOBO on the right? If not, seeing a man about a horse certainly can be. thanks for the tip

Montana Mac
04-22-2011, 10:49
Are all the shelters heading NOBO on the right? If not, seeing a man about a horse certainly can be. thanks for the tip

No they are not :)

peakbagger
04-22-2011, 13:19
There was one area between Roan and Kincora north of 19E that the trail crosses some local roads where there is marginal marking. The area has a history of some locals who dont like hikers so I think the intent in the area to make the trail not stick out. At least a portion of the trail in this area was relocated to avoid the area. That being said , it was pretty obvious which way to go at crossings. The bigger challenge sometimes is when the trail takes the lesser used rotue at a junction. Some folks have a problem in NH as the AT is not necessarily signed as the "AT", they still use white blazes, but sign it by the local name.

I would strongly encourage maps in Maine as if you do need to find civilization, its real easy to pick the wrong road and end up big time lost.

Tenderheart
04-22-2011, 14:44

No they are not. So I should have also added: Left turn into the shelter, left turn out. Sorry for the confusion.

litefoot

Bronk
04-22-2011, 23:23
The only time I had serious trouble was while nite hiking...the trail didn't go directly across the road, it was offset by 100ft or so...I forget where it was, but I just set up my tent and continued on when it was daylight.

garlic08
04-22-2011, 23:56
I saw maybe three or four road crossings where blazing wasn't too clear, and I remember at least one of those was in NH. One or two hundred steps in each direction quickly solved the problem in every case. I didn't carry maps, but by the time I would have pulled out a hypothetical map (in the rain) and figured out where the trail went, I was already down the trail. And since I didn't have maps, I don't know if they would even have shown the "jog" at whatever scale they're printed. I'll echo everyone else: Road crossings are a non-issue.

atraildreamer
04-23-2011, 13:35
A compass, even one of those little button size ones, would keep you going int the right direction. :confused:

Jim Adams
04-23-2011, 13:37
....according to the "too much trail magic" thread....all you have to do is follow the hotdog buns and drink cans at road crossings!....here we go:)
geek

kayak karl
04-23-2011, 15:47
ill be walking along and find myself saying "what idiot put all these branches across the trail." usually after climbing over them it hits me :-?

Hikes in Rain
04-23-2011, 15:53
I agree, so long as you know which direction to go.

Hikes in Rain
04-23-2011, 15:58
Um, that was directed at ATrailDreamer and the compass. I gotta start quoting!

Papa D
04-23-2011, 16:04
I've occasionally been turned around a bit in the dead of night in heavy snow and spent a few minutes with a headlamp finding a road crossing or where the trail crosses a flooded stream or something - I have never had any problem whatsoever in the daylight or in normal weather conditions.

fredmugs
04-23-2011, 18:21
First time I did a solo section I was heading SOBO in PA and when I got Hwy 61? at Port Clinton I had no idea which way the trail went. I also didn't have a map. Turned left and when I saw the interstate and did an about face and I eventually made it to the post office.

A map would have come in handy. Now that I have a GPS I no longer need maps. Isn't technology wonderful?

fredmugs
04-23-2011, 18:24
A compass, even one of those little button size ones, would keep you going int the right direction. :confused:

Explain how a compass is going to tell you which way to go?

Seriously - there's no white blazes or the tree with the blaze on it got destroyed by lightning. Tell me how a compass is going to tell you to turn left or right.

I'm betting there a few hundred people who would like to know how a compass can help you out.

elray
04-23-2011, 18:34
I'm gonna' play the Devil's Advocate here and add that the only time I lose my way on the Trail is at road crossings. I am usually able to resolve and locate the path in just a few minutes but if it's late in the day or raining this is a matter of great irritation and interruption. Also beware of false blazes placed at crossings by pranksters, they're usually pretty obvious but will still cause you to double back unnecessarily. I also carry a compass but be careful, the Trail isn't always heading in a northerly direction. I personally believe in maps and use them extensively. At the road crossings they give a relative distance to off trail attractions, motels and restaurants to be more precise, and although a lot of thru hikers poo poo the extra weight I've yet to unfold a map in a shelter that the thrus' didn't ask to have a look at it.

kayak karl
04-23-2011, 18:54

Seriously - there's no white blazes or the tree with the blaze on it got destroyed by lightning. Tell me how a compass is going to tell you to turn left or right.

I'm betting there a few hundred people who would like to know how a compass can help you out.
it will help a person that can use a map and compass. that's not saying it would help you and the other 99 people you talk of.

aaronthebugbuffet
04-23-2011, 18:54
I don't remember much confusion in the south with road crossings other than one time at night.
I remember walking back and forth along the road a few times in the north though, but wasn't really a big deal.

skooch
04-23-2011, 21:02
....according to the "too much trail magic" thread....all you have to do is follow the hotdog buns and drink cans at road crossings!....here we go:)
geek

Ha ha. I know is that thread a trip or what? :pI tried to hijack it several times and just gave up reading the rants.

skooch
04-23-2011, 21:05
Thanks to all who responded. I absolutely feel better about road crossings.

Reid
04-23-2011, 21:15
I've come to a road crossing on a smaller local trail where the forestry had just been burning and it took the blazes with. It was not directly across the road either and not well marked but you just look around for a sec if it take it and you'll find it. Wouldn't really worry about it.

Papa D
04-23-2011, 21:57
I have relied on a compass many a time in various backcountry settings and on different adventures - a compass on the AT though is purely extra weight - it would be very hard to loose your way at any road crossing given a few minutes using your eyes and your brain. Getting turned around on occasion is part of the fun too, right?

fredmugs
04-24-2011, 11:15
Original question:

Do you need a map to help you know if you need to travel left or right for a while?

Response:

A compass, even one of those little button size ones, would keep you going in the right direction. :confused:

it will help a person that can use a map and compass. that's not saying it would help you and the other 99 people you talk of.

I'm sure that since there were a couple of other posts in between that it was too hard for you to connect the dots. Maybe you need a WB forum thread compass to help you figure out which way the thread is going.

atraildreamer
04-24-2011, 14:03
Um, that was directed at ATrailDreamer and the compass. I gotta start quoting!

Get a better compass, one with a mirror on the back.

Q- Why do they put a mirror on the back of a compass? :-?

A- So you can look at it and see who is lost! :eek: :D :banana

atraildreamer
04-24-2011, 14:14

If you are a NOBO, head in the general direction that the North end of the compass needle is pointing...

If you are a SOBO, head in the general direction that the South end of the needle is pointing.

At least it'll keep you from walking the wrong way for half a day! :mad:

(Please note my avatar...many a hike I've had that expression of confusion!)
Two examples shown below. Second compass refers to previous post (#36). :banana

gonesolong
04-25-2011, 06:02
Everyone has their "thing" that they must avoid, mice, ice, etc...my thing is getting lost. I need to know if the handheld gps ***loaded with the AT map will work to perfectly guide you. Have you or do you know anyone who had experience with such a device?

dperry
05-01-2011, 15:14
Original question:
Response:

A compass, even one of those little button size ones, would keep you going in the right direction. :confused:

I'll second that. We have little compasses in the handles of our hiking poles, and they saved us at least once when we got turned around and were going the wrong way. :(

Cookerhiker
05-01-2011, 20:03
In 35 years of AT section hiking, I only recall 2 instances where I went a good distance the wrong way at a road crossing and one of them was my very first section hike which is obviously dated. The other was a SOBO section hike in an area where a NOBO hiker wouldn't have had the same problem.

The other potential for losing the trail is if you find yourself in an open area in dense fog which I did while hiking over Max Patch (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=84053). There are other open fields where the only blazes are posts that may be few and far between e.g. parts of Virginia west of I-81. In such cases, your best bet is to follow the beaten path unless it's totally snow covered.

Re. compass, keep in mind that the AT is not simply S-N. The Trail can go any of all 4 directions, especially East. Examples:

Much of PA east of the Susquehanna River
NJ after leaving the Kittitinny Ridge is mostly eastward bound and in some cases, southerly.
VT after the Long Trail split is largely east.

10-K
05-01-2011, 20:11
ill be walking along and find myself saying "what idiot put all these branches across the trail." usually after climbing over them it hits me :-?

I hate it when I do that...