PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry Permit

Mule & Flash
04-21-2011, 15:07
Do I need a backcountry permit in the Pisgah National Forest?

WingedMonkey
04-21-2011, 15:14
Do I need a backcountry permit in the Pisgah National Forest?

Nope.......
none

Mule & Flash
04-21-2011, 15:30
Thanks! Couldn't find any info on it, just wanted to be sure.

WingedMonkey
04-21-2011, 15:42
Are you considering the AT on the Pisgah, or other trails. The forest is full of great trails short and long. And best of all is "dispersed camping" where you can camp almost anywhere off of trail in National Forests.

Pedaling Fool
04-21-2011, 16:39
Only two places they're needed on the AT -- Great Smoky Mountain National Park (GSMNP) and Shenandoah National Park (SNP)

Mule & Flash
04-25-2011, 11:12
Are you considering the AT on the Pisgah, or other trails. The forest is full of great trails short and long. And best of all is "dispersed camping" where you can camp almost anywhere off of trail in National Forests.
We're doing a section hike on the AT. Do most people take advantage of the dispersed camping? Or stay in shelters when they're available? I think we'll be hitting the area toward the end of the thru-hiker rush.

WingedMonkey
04-25-2011, 11:54
We're doing a section hike on the AT. Do most people take advantage of the dispersed camping? Or stay in shelters when they're available? I think we'll be hitting the area toward the end of the thru-hiker rush.

I would say that not many people in that section never wander off off the trail and either stay in shelters or camp near them or at known sites right on the trail.
If you are not in a hurry or looking for "trail companionship" you can find a spot off trail or old forest roads that offer campsites that are not beat to death.