PDA

View Full Version : Close to Raleigh-Durham: Uwharries, Raven Rock, and ????

Bootstrap
04-21-2011, 17:27
My time to hike this weekend is short, only 1 1/2 days. I'm thinking I might not want to sacrifice 1/2 day to getting there and back.

My usual places to hike near Raleigh-Durham are the Uwharries and Raven Rock. What else should I consider? I'd like a little elevation change if possible, scenery is a must.

Fog Horn
04-21-2011, 18:23
Raven Rock is pretty. I like the scenery there. Plus they allow dogs :)

I'm interested in this topic though, as those are the only two "nearby" parks I know of as well that involve any elevation.

Google maps has parks above Wilmington and near Elizabeth town that might be worth an expedition to see if they are any good.

Bootstrap
04-21-2011, 19:19
I think these are all possibilities about an hour farther out:

Rocky Knob
Doughton Park
South Mountain
Stone Mountain

Fog Horn
04-21-2011, 20:01
I'm originally from California and I lived in the woods. A national park was literally in my back yard with lots of hiking. I miss those days of just getting up, deciding to hike, and hitting the trail. I'm stuck at Bragg now, and hiking anywhere other than Raven Rock has to be planned in advance and made into a weekend trip :( If you find anywhere fantastic, please let me know.

jbenson
04-21-2011, 20:43
I've done overnights at Mt Rogers from Raleigh, but the drive is probably 3 hours. Well worth it, though. It has been a while (I live in Hatteras now) so the drive time may not be on the money.

Bootstrap
04-21-2011, 21:30
I've done overnights at Mt Rogers from Raleigh, but the drive is probably 3 hours. Well worth it, though. It has been a while (I live in Hatteras now) so the drive time may not be on the money.

I really like Mt Rogers and Grayson Highlands. They do get crowded sometimes ...

Bootstrap
04-21-2011, 21:30
Mount Morrow is the winner for this weekend. I'll tell you how I like it ...

Ashman
04-21-2011, 23:17
Hanging Rock has some great trails but the only camping is in a campground no back country

bwb49
04-22-2011, 21:48
Have you hiked the Birkhead Wilderness, it is part of Uwharrie National Forest?
There are several trails in the area that can be combined to change the length of the trip. I am attaching a map and trail description of the trip that our scout troop has done.

There is a book available that covers the trails in the Uwharries, Uwharrie Lakes Region Trail Guide, by Don Childrey. I bought it at an outfitter in Charlotte. I would think you could find it at REI or Great Outdoor Provisions Co in Cary/Raleigh.

BIRKHEAD WILDERNESS TRAILS 12.34 MILE LOOP

Go north on NC49 (from Charlotte) approximately .8 mile after you cross the Uwharrie River turn right on Mechanic Rd. Go approximately .6 mile and turn right on Lassiter Mill Road. Go approximately 1.8 miles. Thornburg Trailhead is located on the left side of Lassiter Mill Road. The tract of land around this trailhead is known as the Thornburg Farm. Small parking lot for 6 to 10 cars.

START MILE ELEV DESCRIPTION

0.00 480 Follow Thornburg Trail from trailhead
0.55 480 Leave fields and enter woods
0.75 520 Leave road to go by rock outcropping on right
1.29 610 High spot
1.39 580 Cross a small stream
1.81 670 Turn right on Robbins Branch Trail
3.13 555 Turn left on Hannah’s Creek Trail
4.53 620 Turn left on Birkhead Mtn Trail
4.90 660 Pass trail to Camp on left (water)
6.23 850 Turn right on Camp 3 Trail
6.53 740 Stegosaurus/Twin Rocks
6.56 730 Bootleg Hollow (water)
6.72 695 Cross North Prong and Fern Valley
6.88 740 Cross small creek
7.09 825 Pass by Lost Branch and mine pits
7.19 830 Pass by Rush homeplace
7.25 770 (water)
7.31 790 Pass by Rush gold mine
7.46 860 Turn left onto old roadbed
8.34 900 Take the left fork in the road
8.48 910 Turn left on Birkhead Mtn Trail (water) (camp site #1B)
8.98 860 Turn right on Robbins Branch Trail
9.58 650 Pass a campsite on far side of creek (water)
10.53 670 Turn right on Thornburg Trail
END 12.34 480 Return to Thornburg Trailhead

Thormburg Trail The route goes right past the farmhouse and between several barns as it follows the dirt road through the farm and down to Betty McGees Creek. The footbridge over the creek was an Eagle project. The route continues along the farm road and eventually enters the woods and ascends a low ridge. The trail then drops to cross a shallow valley before the final climb to the Robbins Branch Trail.

Robbins Branch Trail Descends along a low ridge paralleling Robbins Branch

Hannah’s Creek Trail Parallels Hannah’s Creek though not in sight of it and then leaves it to climb a short distance to the Birkhead Mtn Trail. Hannah’s Creek trail is marked with white blazes and follows an old roadbed most of the way. Rock chimney at the third creek crossing.

Birkhead Mtn Trail Marked with white blazes. The old roadbed was once part of the Salisbury-Fayetteville Trail. In a small saddle is the side trail to the left to Camp 4. Water source here is a small creek. Trail ascends to the location of Camp 5 on the left side of the trail (NO WATER). The area between Camp 4 and Camp 5 was the location of the Birkhead plantation.

Camp 3 Trail Marked by Boy Scouts in the early 1970’s. The trail is blazed sporadically with various colors of paint. Sometimes there are horizontal green slashes, sometime there are yellow blazes. The route descends from the ridgetop and passes the old Rush gold mine. It crosses the North Prong of Hannah’s Creek at Fern Valley. The route climbs over a low ridge and passes several old mines and homesites before dropping into the valley that hosts Camp 3. A stone walled spring provides the water at this campsite. From Camp 3 the trail passes by the Old Rush Gold Mine. The route follows old roadbeds from this point. Follow the roadbeds and always take the left fork. The route gradually ascends and curves back to the left before reaching the top of Coolers Knob Mtn. The route ends at Birkhead Mtn Trail across from Camp 1B.

dirty coyote
04-23-2011, 19:20
The South Mountains are great (kind of crowded on weekends though) as well as Linville Gorge. If you go to South Mts. check out the $5.00 topo map for sale at the Visitor Center.