PDA

View Full Version : hiking for the first time

jacquie
04-22-2011, 10:48
Hello, I am planning on hiking some/part of the AT this summer. I have never hiked before in this manner and would llike to know where the best place to begin. I am planning on 3 to 5 day hike. Also what are the suttles for and what should I except.:banana

Montana Mac
04-22-2011, 10:51
Very broad question. Everybody has their own opion of the best place.

Do a search for Grayson Highlands here on WB. It is northof Damascus. There are a number of shuttles in the area.

Teeycp
04-22-2011, 14:02
Jacquie, I am trying to figure out the same thing. I was going to go SOBO from Harrisburg PA to Harpers Ferry but it seems that part is a lot of ups and downs or as I was informed PUDS. Being a novice I don't want to start somewhere and be disapponted.

DrRichardCranium
04-22-2011, 14:20
Hiking is just walking where it's OK to pee.

Panzer1
04-22-2011, 15:29
Also what are the suttles for and what should I except.:banana

I'm not sure what you mean by "suttles"

Panzer

Rick500
04-22-2011, 15:34
+1 on Grayson Highlands.

Northbound from Damascus to Grayson Highlands is an awesome hike. A lot of uphill, but worth it. You could do it southbound, but it's like eating dessert first.

FlyPaper
04-22-2011, 16:43
+1 on Grayson Highlands.

Northbound from Damascus to Grayson Highlands is an awesome hike. A lot of uphill, but worth it. You could do it southbound, but it's like eating dessert first.

I would do it North to South to reduce the uphill climbs.

The open vista's in Grayson Highlands has it's charm, but I really enjoyed the fast moving mountain streams as you got closer to Damascus. There is so much uphill going south to north that someone new to the trail would forget what species he is.

Deadeye
04-22-2011, 21:21
by "never hiked before in this manner", do you mean never hiked overnight? If that's the case, it'd be a real good idea to find someone with experience to help you out, or at least a friend to try it with. You can grab a book (the complete walker is a good one) and practice in the backyard, too

Cookerhiker
04-22-2011, 21:35
IMO, summer is not an ideal time to hike most portions of the AT, the exceptions being the White Mts. of NH and the high country of Maine. However, these areas are pretty rugged for a first time hiker.

I'd suggest waiting until at least the second week in August and hiking part of Vermont. It's about 40 miles between Rts. 11 & 30 outside Manchester and Rt. 9 outside Bennington. You can contact the Green Mountain Hostel for info. on shuttles and leaving your car - send a PM to Jeff on WhiteBlaze. Good luck!

Rick500
04-22-2011, 22:03
I would do it North to South to reduce the uphill climbs.

The open vista's in Grayson Highlands has it's charm, but I really enjoyed the fast moving mountain streams as you got closer to Damascus. There is so much uphill going south to north that someone new to the trail would forget what species he is.

I certainly understand what you're saying, but that section, NoBo, was my first section of the AT and it didn't treat me too badly. In fact, I'm planning on doing it again and taking a friend on his first AT section.