PDA

View Full Version : Goats on the Appalachian Trail?

tjforrester
04-22-2011, 11:09
Goat hiking. (http://tjforrester.com/2011/04/21/appalachian-trail-hike-noc-to-fontana-dam-to-the-colbert-report/)

Think it will catch on?:)

Old Hillwalker
04-22-2011, 11:54
Not on the AT since pack animals are prohibited.

Doc Mike
04-22-2011, 12:24
How about a goat as a companion similar to a dog with there own little pack?

Not that I would but sounds interesting. I read a good story about an elderly lady doing this on the pct.

tjforrester
04-22-2011, 13:29
You could also teach a goat to maintain trail, Doc Mike. Those thorns that cut up your legs? Gone forever. Burnt cans in the fireplaces? A blight of the past. Those candy wrappers the church group kids drop on the trail? Like they never existed.

Seriously, though, all novel ideas have their downside. I doubt a goat would last long on the AT, what with thru-hiker hunger and the need for protein. Goat meat on a spit is a wonderful thing, or so I hear. You'd need multiple goats for a thru-hike, say a new one every couple hundred miles. Within three or four years, every outfitter on the trail would have a goat corral out back.

Duff
04-22-2011, 15:16
Bear food.

WingedMonkey
04-22-2011, 15:20
http://www.highuintapackgoats.com/

1azarus
04-22-2011, 15:28
you know, this guy can actually write. got to find out more about him.

tjforrester
04-22-2011, 15:37
Bear food.

Duff, obviously you'd have to hang your goat at night.

Jim Adams
04-23-2011, 13:43
if they are not on a leash...can i use goat spray?

geek

Duff
04-23-2011, 14:25
Duff, obviously you'd have to hang your goat at night.

What worries me now is the people who refuse to hang their food and, instead, "sleep with it". A long thru hike with a warm fuzzy body sleeping next to a lonely hiker conjurs thoughts that are just weird; though I have heard things about people from the hills and sheep. Maybe it'd be confused for that pretty girl who hasn't shaved her legs in two months. "I swear, I went to sleep with a pretty girl and woke up with a goat!"

Jim Adams
04-23-2011, 15:48
"I swear, I went to sleep with a pretty girl and woke up with a goat!"

You too!....OK, ........back to the best beer thread.:eek:

geek

mistiaggie
04-23-2011, 16:57
There was a guy in The Hundred last August who had a goat. Wonder if this is the same guy. we didn't run into him but several people we know, did.

mkmangold
04-23-2011, 17:29
A long thru hike with a warm fuzzy body sleeping next to a lonely hiker conjurs thoughts that are just weird; though I have heard things about people from the hills and sheep. Maybe it'd be confused for that pretty girl who hasn't shaved her legs in two months. "I swear, I went to sleep with a pretty girl and woke up with a goat!"

I'm for the sheep idea. Not only would you have a warm fuzzy body but if it's a milking sheep, free milk. You could repair tears with free wool. Towards the end of the hike, you'd have mutton, too.

brian039
04-24-2011, 12:17
I saw two hikers with pack-goats in the 100-mile wilderness at Horseshoe Canyon Lean-to. I'm not sure if they were allowed on the trail or not.

Grampie
04-24-2011, 17:12
While on the trail, just south of Dragon"s Tooth in 2001 I came across 2 goats. They were with no one. When I took my pack off to get my camera out I couldn't keep them from trying to eat my pack straps.

mweinstone
04-24-2011, 17:16
i will be anyones pack animal who asks and pays my way. ill eat spam if i could be your lacky. i would carry all your weight and cook.