PDA

View Full Version : Mountain House shortage

fredmugs
04-22-2011, 12:12
This is probably true of all companies that produce freeze dried or other dehydrated products.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20110422%2FLIFE%2F104220303

mweinstone
04-22-2011, 12:52
the best preperation for hard times is the battening down of the minds hatches , stowing of dramma and dawning of life crafts. one need be sure to pack fear where it is most inaccesable. no softys will survive hardys menu.

jbwood5
04-22-2011, 13:01
This is probably true of all companies that produce freeze dried or other dehydrated products.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20110422%2FLIFE%2F104220303

What a timely post. I was just looking online for some Mountain House foods. A lot of places are out of stock. You can still buy some on E-Bay (usually large quantities, odd serving size like four or one). There are all kinds of survival package deals where you need to buy a case or some unusually high number.

I ended up getting a few 2 serving packs from Cabellas but paid a premium. I'll just alternate a few of the 16 cent Ramon Noddles which I bought a Walmart. That way my average cost per meal comes down. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

88BlueGT
04-22-2011, 13:13
Damn! 16 cents?! :p

I'm a big ramen eater myself, usually .50 cents but SOMETIMES when they are on sale you can catch them for 4 or 5 for a dollar.

BrianLe
04-22-2011, 13:17
A good time to try out the Freezer Bag Cooking approach (http://www.trailcooking.com/), IMO. Requires some preparation at home, but you control the ingredients (levels of salt, whatever), and it's equally convenient to cook up in camp.

daddytwosticks
04-22-2011, 14:54
Still on the shelves of my local evil Wal-Mart store. :)

Toolshed
04-22-2011, 16:58
Thanks for pointing this out. Year after Year, I normally stock up on REI sales (the bag of 5 dinners for $17), however, this year, they didn't offer it. I wondered. Makes sense now...

the goat
04-22-2011, 17:59
who cares? mountain house is gross anyways.

i'd rather be the epicenter of a nuclear holocaust than be relegated to eating mountain house meals for the rest of my life.

Marta
04-22-2011, 18:02
At REI yesterday the shelves were pretty bare of MH. The salesman told me people in CA have been stocking up.

Sarcasm the elf
04-22-2011, 18:12
I am ashamed to say that one of my friends is a prepper. He tried
to convince me that it was necessary to spend $200 on mountainhouse in order to have it around "just in case.". I responded that I had already spent $20 on 50lbs of rice and beans (things I actually use and buy in bulk) and was probably better off than he was.

Pedaling Fool
04-22-2011, 18:27
Pretty interesting, wonder if it will have a long-term effect on the price; not that I care since I dehydrate my own stuff. And Sarcasm the elf made a good point. No need to stock up on yuppie foods:)

chiefiepoo
04-22-2011, 19:19
Don't know about the nuclear basis for Preppers buying up freeeze dried. Through the 50's 60's and 70's many nations tested in the atmosphere and underground with measurable leakage from underground tests. I don't recall any impact on food supplies except for advice to w/h or limit milk and dairy from children because of strontium 90.

From Greenpeace about the number of tests and # of kilotons of explosive power.

It is estimated that the total yield of all the atmospheric nuclear weapons tests conducted is 438 megatons. That's equivalent to 29,200 Hiroshima size bombs. In the 36 years between 1945 and 1980 when atmospheric testing was being conducted this would have been equivalent to exploding a Hiroshima size bomb in the atmosphere every 11 hours.

Can't vouch for their science, or advocate that the current situation is not harmful. But as for the food supply, we are likely more endangered by the everday botulism and coliform threats.

Ashevillian
04-22-2011, 19:32
Our REI was well stocked except for those aweful bacon and eggs. I did get my fav today tho, beef stroganoff. Not for dooms day, but I love it on the trail.

Different Socks
04-22-2011, 19:33
Same can be said for TVP. When I ordered my jugs I had to call the place to ask why I didn't have them at my store after waiting 2 weeks. Guy told me it was b/c of preppers.
I did get them though and now I am glad i ordered before this all happened.
Love how the article says that PCT hikers would have to eat more conventional food. Say what? In all my 10,000 miles of backpacking, I've eaten only 2dz or so freeze dried meals. I'd rather make my own dehydrated meals---bunch of lazy SOB's.

Toolshed
04-22-2011, 21:09
Campsaver has all FD foods (including MH) on sale at 20% off and free shipping (if over $50).

Kevin A. Boyce
04-22-2011, 21:26
Just tried to order some for a customer at my store; pretty much no luck. Although I did receive a large Backpackers Pantry order the other day.

Bearpaw
04-22-2011, 21:59
The Brentwood (Nashville) REI was pretty lean a couple of weeks ago. But they were doing fine online when I ordered some stuff for my Sheltowee Trace hike this summer.

The big thing they were missing was Esbit tabs. None company wide. I have a couple dozen on backorder.

fredmugs
04-22-2011, 22:51

i'd rather be the epicenter of a nuclear holocaust than be relegated to eating mountain house meals for the rest of my life.

That's the kind of non-sequitor response I expect to get here on WB. :)

Way to miss the point. Your no value added response is highly appreciated. Care to offer up any opinions about hammocks vs tents?

OldNorth
04-23-2011, 01:16
I believe MH is one of the vendors filling a billion dollar government contract for FEMA to provide meals for National Level Exercise May 2011.

Added: Jan 20, 2011 11:54 am
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) procures and stores pre-packaged
commercial meals to support readiness capability for immediate distribution to disaster
survivors routinely. The purpose of this Request for Information is to identify sources of
supply for meals in support of disaster relief efforts based on a catastrophic disaster event within the New Madrid Fault System for a survivor population of 7M to be utilized for the
sustainment of life during a 10-day period of operations. FEMA is considering the following specifications (14M meals per day):
http://www.fema.gov/media/fact_sheets/nle2011_fs.shtm

woodsy
04-23-2011, 07:54

You can thank Glen Beck of Fox news for all the shortages .

He's been preaching gloom and doom end times BS to all the masses that would listen and they followed his advice and stocked up on the stuff creating the shortage, and price increases when you can find it.

Papa D
04-23-2011, 08:30
You can dehydrate your own stuff so easily - I'll eat a Mtn House meal if I find one in a hiker box or may on a rare occasion buy one, but I have never wanted to "stock-up". Let me know when stores start to run out of cheese filled tortellini, mac n cheese, pasta sides, powdered milk, dehydrated potatoes, ramen and peanut butter - then, I'll stock up

Rocket Jones
04-23-2011, 08:57

He's been preaching gloom and doom end times BS to all the masses that would listen and they followed his advice and stocked up on the stuff creating the shortage, and price increases when you can find it.

Dude, don't be a gram weenie. Use heavy-duty foil for your hat. :rolleyes:

vamelungeon
04-23-2011, 09:06
There are piles of MH meals at my local Wally World. No shortage here.

Northern Lights
04-23-2011, 09:34
What natural disaster is coming that people feel they need to stock up? People are funny. The last thing I would want to eat is MH disaster or not.

Pedaling Fool
04-23-2011, 09:46

So how many packages you got saved up:)

woodsy
04-23-2011, 10:18
So how many packages you got saved up:)

***None*** :)

Wise Old Owl
04-23-2011, 10:53

And you wonder why his ratings dropped so badly and got kicked off the Philadelphia airwaves. - He was sounding off the biblical endtimes. Now if we can get him off Fox life would be better!

fredmugs
04-23-2011, 11:01
Glen Beck logic:

AT Hiking requires dedication and discipline.
Hiking is a lot like marching
Ya know who required lots of marching? Hitler
The ATC is a neo-Nazi organization training it's members to overthrow the government.

Wise Old Owl
04-23-2011, 11:04
What natural disaster is coming that people feel they need to stock up? People are funny. The last thing I would want to eat is MH disaster or not.

To best answer your question, a heavy snow storm can keep you from getting to the store for three to five days. A tornado can wipe the nearest town and really set you back. A hurricane can knock you back 6 months. I was brought up this way, to have a plan. Over the years hurricanes and ice storms have hit the region many times. We have been without power for as much as five days.

My family keeps 35 gallons of gas, a generator. Bread making machines, $500 of raw foods and cans in the basement. A five pound container of mixed freeze dried dinners. Two people thats 5 days. Its just a larger Larder on 8 foot by 16 foot shelving. everything is labeled with a marker and rotated. Years ago it was the Ball Jar section.

If you are interested this is the best practical source of information for self reliant living written by people that actually do it.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/

Wise Old Owl
04-23-2011, 11:07
Oh I almost forgot we used to keep five 5 gallon of distilled water when we were on the well in case of contamination or electric failure. Since then we switched to city water.

sliderule
04-23-2011, 11:22
The last thing I would want to eat is MH disaster or not.

Try some AlpineAire offerings. That will improve you outlook on MH considerably!!!

Papa D
04-23-2011, 11:23
Well, I have a bunch of shelves in my basement that my wife calls "sports and rec" - it's basically my camping and backpacking stuff - there is a big plastic tub of food - 3-4 headlamps, first aid stuff, a gallon of liquid fuel for the white gas stoves and a bunch of stove canister fuel, lanterns, candles, etc. etc. - I've also got a couple of 5 gallon water containers - all of that paired with what's in that garage and there is a creek in the backyard - cans of gas, tools, etc. and our regular pantry in the kitchen, I'd say we could probably hold out for at least a few weeks .... hard to imagine a scenario where much more stuff stockpiled would help

Lord Helment
04-23-2011, 11:31
mountain house meals suck...just like glenn beck...both leave a foul smell behind them......

Wise Old Owl
04-23-2011, 11:34
I think thats the point Papa D, store what you are comfortable with. Most of the camping gear doubles up as survival gear anyway. My only lament is half of it is in the basement and the other stuff is in the garage.

Papa D
04-23-2011, 11:51
basement and garage are back to back - wouldn't take much to combine the two

WingedMonkey
04-23-2011, 13:43
Oh I almost forgot we used to keep five 5 gallon of distilled water when we were on the well in case of contamination or electric failure. Since then we switched to city water.

First thing to go here during/after a hurricane is water and sewage. Glad I got a well.
When does all the Mt. House go on sale on Ebay after all the hoarders realize what they got stuck with?

woodsy
04-23-2011, 18:07
And you wonder why his ratings dropped so badly and got kicked off the Philadelphia airwaves. - He was sounding off the biblical endtimes. Now if we can get him off Fox life would be better!

Glen Beck logic:

AT Hiking requires dedication and discipline.
Hiking is a lot like marching
Ya know who required lots of marching? Hitler
The ATC is a neo-Nazi organization training it's members to overthrow the government.

mountain house meals suck...just like glenn beck...both leave a foul smell behind them......

I know !

None of his prophesies have come true, go figure.....................:D

Wonder who all of his sheeple will turn to next ?????? :p

Too bad for the hikers who use freeze dried food, just sayin.

Northern Lights
04-23-2011, 22:50
To best answer your question, a heavy snow storm can keep you from getting to the store for three to five days. A tornado can wipe the nearest town and really set you back. A hurricane can knock you back 6 months. I was brought up this way, to have a plan. Over the years hurricanes and ice storms have hit the region many times. We have been without power for as much as five days.

My family keeps 35 gallons of gas, a generator. Bread making machines, $500 of raw foods and cans in the basement. A five pound container of mixed freeze dried dinners. Two people thats 5 days. Its just a larger Larder on 8 foot by 16 foot shelving. everything is labeled with a marker and rotated. Years ago it was the Ball Jar section.

If you are interested this is the best practical source of information for self reliant living written by people that actually do it.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/

I see, I guess because of where I live I'm always prepared for going without.

Just by some of the posts it sounded like people were 'waiting' for a natural disaster.

thanks for the link, I'll have to take a look at it. Self reliance is always of interest to me.

WingedMonkey
04-23-2011, 23:03

Just by some of the posts it sounded like people were 'waiting' for a natural disaster.

thanks for the link, I'll have to take a look at it. Self reliance is always of interest to me.

I've still got all my original Mother Earth News.

;)

chiefiepoo
04-23-2011, 23:08
There are piles of MH meals at my local Wally World. No shortage here.

That's cause country folks can survive. Don't need no MH.

Tuckahoe
04-23-2011, 23:10

Well seeing as June to November is hurricane season here along the Atlantic coast, we are pretty much waiting for a natural disaster. I generally keep about 1 1/2 to two weeks worth of food seperate from my normal groceries.

That way I am not rushing out to empty grocery shelves when a storm is approaching. With Isabell in 2003 I went for 8 days without power and water.

Northern Lights
04-23-2011, 23:11
I've still got all my original Mother Earth News.

;)

You darn Americans, get me all excited about this stuff. I google it, like it and then the worst words I have ever been forced to read. USA only. Sigh

Wise Old Owl
04-23-2011, 23:34
That's cause country folks can survive. Don't need no MH.

Yea but eating Gator all the time stinks.....Not even the Seminole could do that.:eek:

Great White
04-24-2011, 02:40
I am ashamed to say that one of my friends is a prepper. He tried
to convince me that it was necessary to spend $200 on mountainhouse in order to have it around "just in case.". I responded that I had already spent $20 on 50lbs of rice and beans (things I actually use and buy in bulk) and was probably better off than he was.

I am sorry Sarcasm, but your friend is not a Prepper. A Prepper would slowly, over time as part of a life style, build up a supply of food for an emergency. This includes producing your own food as well, and storing it for the long term. It appears that your friend, in my opinion, is reacting to the recent disaster and is only thinking short term.

When does all the Mt. House go on sale on Ebay after all the hoarders realize what they got stuck with?

Good point! Calling these people Hoarders is correct. Wait until after January 2012 and you are sure to see a lot of Mountain House food on Ebay.

I have been introduced to the idea that there is a Survivalism Bubble forming in the wake of the earthquakes that struck Asia over the last decade. I expect it to burst after 2012 comes and the world does not end. Then some really good deals can be found in Ebay for anything Survival related.

Sarcasm the elf
04-24-2011, 07:32
I am sorry Sarcasm, but your friend is not a Prepper. A Prepper would slowly, over time as part of a life style, build up a supply of food for an emergency. This includes producing your own food as well, and storing it for the long term. It appears that your friend, in my opinion, is reacting to the recent disaster and is only thinking short term.

From urbandictionary.com:
prepper

Someone who focuses on preparedness, generally for various worst-case scenarios like peak oil or armageddon. Sometimes used to avoid the more loaded term survivalist.

Some preppers focus on guns, others on sustainable agriculture.

Trust me my friend most certainly is a prepper. I didn't see he need to include his life story on WB to justify my previous comment, so you'll just have to take this one on faith. ;)

Tuckahoe
04-24-2011, 08:09
I believe MH is one of the vendors filling a billion dollar government contract for FEMA to provide meals for National Level Exercise May 2011.

http://www.fema.gov/media/fact_sheets/nle2011_fs.shtm

According to Mountian House, they are not filling such an order, only that they received a RFI (request for information).

In response to the recent concern of FEMA purchasing Mountain House products:
FEMA posted the following RFI (Request for Information) on 1-20-2011. In the RFI, FEMA was asking for information for 14M/day for 10 days. They then withdrew the RFI on 1-27-11. The RFI is a request for information only. It is not an order. In addition, this RFI was never sent to Mountain House. This is to confirm that Mountain House is not supplying FEMA or any other Government agency with Mountain House #10 cans or pouches.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) procures and stores pre-packaged commercial meals to support readiness capability for immediate distribution to disaster survivors routinely. The purpose of this Request for Information is to identify sources of supply for meals in support of disaster relief efforts based on a catastrophic disaster event within the New Madrid Fault System for a survivor population of 7M to be utilized for the sustainment of life during a 10-day period of operations.
As you know we have removed #10 cans from our website temporarily. The reason for this is sales of #10 cans have continued to increase. OFD is allocating as much production capacity as possible to this market segment, but we must maintain capacity for our other market segments as well.
Currently our inventory for both cans and pouches is all being shipped to our retailers. Once all of our retailers are back in stock 100%, we will put items back in stock on our own website. For our #10 cans, we do have a small number of dealers that you can contact for future ordering of our food storage items. Although they are not taking any orders at this time, we do suggest you contact them to see how you can be notified as soon as they are in a position to once again accept new orders. For a list of those dealers, please contact us at [email protected] ([email protected])
We expect this situation to be necessary for several months although this isn’t a guarantee. We will update this information as soon as we know more. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience. We sincerely hope you will continue to be Mountain House customers in the future.
Oregon Freeze Dry

Jaybird
04-24-2011, 08:21
What a timely post. I was just looking online for some Mountain House foods. A lot of places are out of stock. You can still buy some on E-Bay (usually large quantities, odd serving size like four or one). There are all kinds of survival package deals where you need to buy a case or some unusually high number.

I ended up getting a few 2 serving packs from Cabellas but paid a premium. I'll just alternate a few of the 16 cent Ramon Noddles which I bought a Walmart. That way my average cost per meal comes down. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

All of the SURVIVALISTS are scooping up the FREEZE DRIED & waiting for the 2012 SCARE to be over!:p

hope to see some of U White Blazers out on the trail during my 2 week section: DWG up to Kent,CT May 28-June 12

Northern Lights
04-24-2011, 09:35
All of the SURVIVALISTS are scooping up the FREEZE DRIED & waiting for the 2012 SCARE to be over!:p

hope to see some of U White Blazers out on the trail during my 2 week section: DWG up to Kent,CT May 28-June 12

why would folks need all that food if the world is ending in 2012?:p

LoneRidgeRunner
04-24-2011, 09:52
Damn! 16 cents?! :p

I'm a big ramen eater myself, usually .50 cents but SOMETIMES when they are on sale you can catch them for 4 or 5 for a dollar.

You can buy Ramen Noodles at Aldis in boxes of 12 for $1.79 plus sales tax .That's not sale price..That's the regular price at Aldis... .15 plus tax..beats the crap outta .50 per meal..

LoneRidgeRunner
04-24-2011, 09:54
I have a couple dozen packages of MH foods in stock ( for my use..not for sale) I wanta go to the woods I just grab it outta the drawer and go...

Bearpaw
04-24-2011, 10:35
why would folks need all that food if the world is ending in 2012?:p

The world's not ending. The magnetic poles are simply going to reverse, like it has done many times before, creating a massive electromagnetic pulse that will devastate much of the earth's electric and communication grid.

Just one of a number of theories out there...

bus
04-24-2011, 10:50
The world's not ending. The magnetic poles are simply going to reverse, like it has done many times before, creating a massive electromagnetic pulse that will devastate much of the earth's electric and communication grid.

Crap...that means WB is going down when that happens...

as far as MH being in short supply, Hawks Vittles is a much better way to go ( if you are going that short of route) anyway

fredmugs
04-24-2011, 10:53
I know !

None of his prophesies have come true, go figure.....................:D

Wonder who all of his sheeple will turn to next ?????? :p

Too bad for the hikers who use freeze dried food, just sayin.

Sheeple!

Thanks for a great addition to my personal lexicon.

Treker45
04-24-2011, 11:41
I have been using enertia trail foods for the last couple of years. I found they taste good,pack well and are less then mountian house in most cases. Yep I just love it when people go crazy.gee it was 2000 dooms day now it's 2012.............
http://trailfoods.com/index.html

WingedMonkey
04-24-2011, 12:59

How could it have happened before when the earth is only 6,000 years old?

;)

stvn
04-24-2011, 23:30
About 3 weeks ago I came across an article stating that the US Gov (fema)has placed a precurement order for 4 million people for 4 days! There is your answer to where has mountain house gone......I'll see if I can find the article and post it.

stvn
04-24-2011, 23:35
Here's a link for fema buying 1 billion dollars ($1,000,000,000.00) of freeze dried food from a online news magazine.

http://www.examiner.com/finance-examiner-in-national/terror-threats-rising-as-fema-orders-1-billion-dehydrated-food#ixzz1FIMCWAhY

This is comming out of our tax dollars and I want my cut of mountain house now!!!! lol...........

WingedMonkey
04-24-2011, 23:59
Here's a link for fema buying 1 billion dollars ($1,000,000,000.00) of freeze dried food from a online news magazine.

http://www.examiner.com/finance-examiner-in-national/terror-threats-rising-as-fema-orders-1-billion-dehydrated-food#ixzz1FIMCWAhY

This is comming out of our tax dollars and I want my cut of mountain house now!!!! lol...........

I guess you missed this months post by the same online magazine that it was a false rumor.

http://www.examiner.com/political-buzz-in-national/fema-rumor-sparks-panic-buying

stvn
04-25-2011, 00:33
No i didn't see that article....thank you.

Options
04-25-2011, 16:15
Still on the shelves of my local evil Wal-Mart store. :)

Same here. Maybe I should stock up. :banana

rsmout
04-25-2011, 16:52

Well, they've got a job for you over in Japan. Enjoy the tuna!