PDA

View Full Version : Leki CorkLite Aergon Speedlock Trekking Poles

STICK
04-22-2011, 21:07
I took my kids today and we headed to Big Hill Pond State Park just to get out for a little hike today. While we were out I decided to do a little video and talk about trekking poles...

Leki Corklite Aergon Speedlock Trekking Poles Video (http://sticksblog.com/2011/04/22/leki-corklite-aergon-speedlock-trekking-poles/)

swash
04-24-2011, 00:54
Nice review. I picked up these poles before my trip to the linville gorge over spring break and they worked just as I imagined. I decided to use my REI 20% coupon and tax refund money to make a good investment. My friend took the walmart poles you mentioned. It was the first time either of us have used poles. You can definitely notice a difference in quality and strength. Many places in the gorge are really only accessible with poles if you are wearing a pack, so we ended up putting our full body/pack weight on the poles a lot. The leki's held up perfectly while the walmart poles bent on the second or third day.

The only reason I got trekking poles was because I knew they were going to be necessary in the gorge, other wise I had the same thought as you and many other people: I'm not old, why would I need poles to walk? All I can say is I'm glad I bought poles, and will be using them from now on.

AndyB
04-25-2011, 00:30
I'm on the fence about poles having never used them. My "logic", such as it is, being that the lighter my pack is the less I would need them. Yet the lightweight shelters I've been looking at require them? Do they help you walk faster? Better balance? I'm not sure I have enough coordination to have my arms and legs both going at the same time. I'm looking into trekking poles and your review is more food for thought.thanks.

Kerosene
04-25-2011, 09:54
AndyB, you certainly don't need trekking poles to backpack. Sometimes they come in handy -- such as when you need a bit more balance -- and sometimes they're just a PITA -- such as when you're climbing up or down a very steep, rocky trail (I'm thinking about South Kinsman here). I value them primarily for providing a bit more confidence on slippery trail and anywhere with difficult footing, plus for taking some of the weight off my knees during long downhills.

As for lightweight shelters, you can find collapsible carbon poles to use in lieu of trekking poles. Ask the manufacturer what they recommend.