PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight

Demillo
04-22-2011, 23:20
Any recommendation on a lightweight, fairly priced, fairly long lasting flashlight?

risingsun
04-22-2011, 23:35
Headlamp or hand held?

pirogue
04-22-2011, 23:52
I've bought Surefire but now like Fenix.

garlic08
04-23-2011, 00:00
Take a look at this: www.hybridlight.com. I won one at a trail building raffle and it's acting like it's a winner for a handheld. They said they got it at Costco, a two-pack for $20. I don't have a scale, but it feels about the same weight as my Petzl with three AAAs. The hybrid light only has a couple of lithium watch batteries so very little battery weight. It's been working great for the first month I've had it. It's many times brighter than my Petzl.

Panzer1
04-23-2011, 00:21
there's a thousand of them. Hard to go wrong.

Panzer

300winmag
04-23-2011, 01:41
Get a small headlamp like the Princeton Tec Scout that uses 4 coin batteries. It's very light. (And you DO want less weight, right?) Also it has 2 brightness settings and strobe. Four spare coin batteries weigh an ounce.

Face it, holding a flashlight in your mouth while you drool all over it is not fun. Don't ask me how I know. ;)

Eric

Rocket Jones
04-23-2011, 09:05
Energizer has a headlamp at Walmart for less than $5.00. It'll do the job. For backup and handheld, I recommend the Photon Freedom (http://www.photonlight.com/products/Photon-Freedom-Micro-LED-Keychain-Flashlight.html). Light, tiny, versitile.

BigToe
04-23-2011, 11:42
Energizer has a headlamp at Walmart for less than $5.00. It'll do the job. For backup and handheld, I recommend the Photon Freedom (http://www.photonlight.com/products/Photon-Freedom-Micro-LED-Keychain-Flashlight.html). Light, tiny, versitile.

I'm with RJ. For section hiking I primarily use my Princeton Tec EOS headlamp (3.5 oz w lithiums) and a Photon Freedom for backup (.25 oz). My son has the Energizer and it has served him well at a great price. When I first started section hiking I realized I had to recalibrate myself on what a flashlight is for. When I was a kid I thought a flashlight had to light up the whole outdoors and now just want illumination of my workspace - setting up tent/hammock, cooking, reading, etc. I use the headlamp for night hiking all the time.

I recently bought a Merkava II tritium Glowring (.03 oz), and am thinking of attaching it to the outside of my pack as a help in locating my gear when I step away. Ah who am I kidding - it's a toy but how cool is a glowing stick that stays on for ten years! It's very faint but noticeable as a homing beacon.

bobqzzi
04-23-2011, 11:50
I like the Princeton tech stuff. I know many people go with the lightest/most minimal light, but I prefer a AAA powered headlamp that allows me to hike at night.

Tinker
04-23-2011, 11:52
Headlamp or hand held?

Second person to pose above question.

And, also, what are the functions most important to you (besides what you said above):
Size
Brightness
Waterproofness
Durability
Cost
Any other features you'd like?

Personally, I carry a Princeton Tec Eos most of the time myself.
I have a very light headlamp which is called Cyclops, which I carry "just in case" on daytrips, but it has coin cell batteries which are expensive, so I don't use it much.
The Princeton Tec headlamp uses standard AAA batteries (inexpensive).

BigToe
04-23-2011, 11:52
By the way, the eGear PICO LED Zipper Lite is a nice little light comparable to the Photon Freedom. REI had a sale on them yesterday for less than $5 http://www.rei.com/product/803136/egear-pico-led-zipper-lite Doug Ritter uses them in his Personal Survival Kits, a strong endorsement IMO.

mweinstone
04-23-2011, 15:18
flashlight? whats that? you mean headlamp? then you want black diamond.

Demillo
04-23-2011, 20:45
Great ideas! I picked up one of those energizers from WalMart! Thanks for the tips