PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

One Half
04-23-2011, 08:04
When I can't get away for the weekend but want to stay (or get into) hiking shape to load up my pack and do a 4-6 hr hike in my neighborhood/town?

Egads
04-23-2011, 08:17
Just go run 5 miles instead

AndyB
04-23-2011, 08:18
Well, anything is better than sitting on the couch right? Make up a weird story about what you're doing to keep the neighbors on their toes;)

Hikes in Rain
04-23-2011, 08:19
I suggested doing that. My wife asked me if I would please do it in some other neighborhood.

rsjrny
04-23-2011, 09:35
only if you want to be hassled by the man :-). My one experience doing this resulted in being questioned by the local police, but truth be told I am glad some cared enough to have it checked out.

Montana Mac
04-23-2011, 10:38
Why not drive to some trail for a short day hike. Living in MA you should be able to find a trail within an hour of your home. That would give you 2 - 4 hours for a day hike.

When getting ready for my hike that is how I would do a lot of my prep hikes when I was staying in CT

Storm
04-23-2011, 10:39
I do it all the time. Don't really care what nosy fat neighbors think. And yeah, it's better than nothing.

freshpots
04-23-2011, 10:50
only if you want to be hassled by the man :-). My one experience doing this resulted in being questioned by the local police, but truth be told I am glad some cared enough to have it checked out.
Haha, same exact thing happened to me the first and last time I tried it. I didn't make it a half mile from my house in suburbia before being questioned. The cop was completely cool with it after I explained, however.

fredmugs
04-23-2011, 10:54
You don't need to put on the pack to get into hiking shape. Just walk.

Papa D
04-23-2011, 11:31
Like most have said, I'd say just a long walk or run does the same thing aerobically and for making your legs and core strong - carrying a pack slows you down - it is of course necessary when backpacking, but there is nothing about having the pack on your back that you couldn't accomplish with your workout by going longer and faster - try to find a real hilly run or jog. I often go out for long local walks / jogs with my camelback pack - it weighs about 5 pounds full of water and a snack.

Entropy2012
04-23-2011, 11:36

Haha, same exact thing happened to me the first and last time I tried it. I didn't make it a half mile from my house in suburbia before being questioned. The cop was completely cool with it after I explained, however.

Are you serious? God forbid anyone might actually want to do exercise. No, they must have shady intentions. :rolleyes:

Tinker
04-23-2011, 11:43
You could be a bit less conspicuous by using ankle weights and wearing a "fanny pack" loaded with a water bottle (for you) and a plastic bag of sand (for weight).
I do a bit of trail work near my house and usually carry a chainsaw in my pack for the weight even though I don't often need it.
I got questioned by the police one day when I went into the woods behind a small neighborhood to work on "my trail" carrying a pair of loppers. A resident apparently thought they were bolt cutters and I was up to no good. :D

bobqzzi
04-23-2011, 12:26
Like most have said, I'd say just a long walk or run does the same thing aerobically and for making your legs and core strong - carrying a pack slows you down - it is of course necessary when backpacking, but there is nothing about having the pack on your back that you couldn't accomplish with your workout by going longer and faster - try to find a real hilly run or jog. I often go out for long local walks / jogs with my camelback pack - it weighs about 5 pounds full of water and a snack.

While I agree about the aerobic part, I disagree about the core part. Nothing gets you ready for hiking with a pack like hiking with a pack.

WingedMonkey
04-23-2011, 13:23

Add me to that list. And my neighborhood is somewhat rural. Friendly Deputy pull off the road in front of me, and with a big smile asked " I gotta know what are you doing with those ski poles in Florida?"
Try to find an area with some elevation changes to get the best out of it. Hard to do here unless I go to the rocks on the levees or the beach inlets. I don't do the rocks at the beach with pack, but I do try out new boots.
I have even done the treadmill with pack on. For weight I just throw in some water jugs.

TIDE-HSV
04-23-2011, 14:13
I'm lucky enough to live on a mountain within two blocks of a state park with nice, steep trails. My neighbors are accustomed to seeing me with a pack (filled with sand bags) headed for the park. Only remark I can remember is a German neighbor calling out that I must be training for something. (He walks regularly, despite age and structural problems...)

88BlueGT
04-23-2011, 14:22
You could always lose the pack and use chest and ankle weights. These plus a treadmill is also a great idea as you can adjust the elevation, etc.

Nothing beats being on a mountain though.

Tenderheart
04-23-2011, 14:50
Just go run 5 miles instead

That's good advice.

ekeverette
04-23-2011, 15:12
i live on the coastal plain,very flat, and i run all the time, but trudging a pack is different. i suggest loading the pack down and trudge.

weary
04-23-2011, 15:21
Training with a pack helps, especially if one doesn't have a lot of expensive ultralight gear. Training with a pack on a woodland trail -- ideally a rough trail with lots of ups and downs, that require climbing over blowdowns and boulders -- provides the best training for the rigors of the AT.

Rick500
04-23-2011, 15:25
+1 on the "find a nearby trail" suggestion.

TIDE-HSV
04-23-2011, 15:28
That's good advice.

I can't agree with that. I can't run any more because of spinal problems, but, when I was running regularly and racing, I couldn't tell that it really helped that much. Running on the level is a "snatch" motion, heavy on the hamstrings, but not building the quads like you need when pushing a pack up a mountain. Also, running made my calves so tight that the first couple of days hiking were murder, trying to get them stretched back out. I do recognize that there are cardio benefits from the running...

One Half
04-23-2011, 17:04
considering driving an hour (60+ miles), hiking 4 hours and then driving back, with gas almost $4/gallon makes that a pretty expensive day hike ($20+ just for gas):mad:. I do run (see my signature - I am doing a 9k for charity very soon) but that is not the same as strapping 30 pounds on your back and going up and down hill. :-? Using ankle weights by the way, is a very bad idea mechanically. I think I will just hike the neoghborhood and let the neighbors "know" I'm off my rocker!:D

harryfred
04-23-2011, 21:05
My neighbors all know me. If they see me headed up the road with a pack they Know A) I'm headed for the state forest 2 miles up the road or B) I'm trying how this new pack configuration and weight rides. I do go for a walk just because with my fanny pack if for no other reason than to carry water and a snack.I also have maybe hundreds of miles of trails I can get to and back for 1gal of gas. I count old log roads gas right of ways and fire roads as trails. I have been known to drive to an old gated road hike in 4 or 5 hours, pitch my tent, make supper, drink scotch and enjoy the night. I either hike out in the morning and get on with my day or wander around and make my way back to my car that evening, or call wife to come get me;):)

sbhikes
04-23-2011, 21:32
Why don't you just put your laundry in your pack and hike to the laundromat. Or hike to the grocery store and bring some groceries home. I suggest making a special trip for melons, frozen turkey or 12-packs.

One Half
04-23-2011, 21:42
LOL! :D

some good suggestions SB

tjforrester
04-23-2011, 21:54
When I can't get away for the weekend but want to stay (or get into) hiking shape to load up my pack and do a 4-6 hr hike in my neighborhood/town?

Absolutely.

DapperD
04-23-2011, 22:18
When I can't get away for the weekend but want to stay (or get into) hiking shape to load up my pack and do a 4-6 hr hike in my neighborhood/town?I think taking the loaded pack out is worth it to get and stay in good hiking shape. I don't know what it's like where you live, like wether you will be just doing a lot of road walking or not. If you have some decent trails where you can get to and do some actual hiking/backpacking that would be good. If it is just all road walking you may get some funny looks from other's (probably because they don't know what it is you are doing/up to:D), but this is something you will have to decide wether is worth it or not:-?.