PDA

View Full Version : 2011 SOBO Gear List. Please review!

thepitts
04-23-2011, 16:27
With days till the start date falling away quicker than the pollen on the trees, I figure now is as good a time as any to ask ye deities of hiking wisdom to poke out any flaws in my gear list:D.

Here 'go's...

Gear List

Major: 11Pounds 5 Ounces
Pack- 60 liter REI Cruise- 3lbs. 3oz.
Pad- Regular length Therm-a-Rest Neoair sleeping pad- 14oz.
Bag- Sierra Designs Arrow Rock 30-Degree bag- 2lbs. 5oz
Hammock- Clark Jungle Hammock North American- 3lbs. 2oz.
Tarp- Kelty Noah’s Tarp 9x9- 1lbs. 13oz.

Kitchen: 9.4 Ounces
Stove- MSR Pocket Rocket stove- 3oz.
Pot- REI TiWare Cookpot 1.3Liter- 6oz.
REI TiWare Folding Spork- .4oz.

Rain: 1 Pound 4.2 Ounces
Rain Jacket- Medium Serria Designs Microlight Jacket- 10oz.
Rain Cover- Medium Gregory cover- 3oz.
Rain Pants- Serria Designs Micolight Pants- 7.2oz.

Tech:
Headlamp- Mammut Lucido TR1
Cell Phone plus Charger

Wardrobe:
REI Venturi Shorts
Marmot Scree Pants
Columbia Silver Ridge Short Sleeve Shirt
Columbia Silver Ridge Long Sleeve Shirt
Duofold Thermal Long-Johns
Long Sleeve Duofold Thermal Undershirt
Smartwool Light Hiker Socks X2
ExOffico Briefs X2
Buffs Head wrap
Bandana X2
Medium REI Down Jacket

MISC/ Other:
Med Kit:
Disposable toothbrush
Mini Toothpaste Bottle
Assorted band-aids
Small Roll of Athletic Tape
Moleskin
Aqua Mira Tablets
Tweezers
Toilet Paper
Toenail Clippers
Dr. Bonners Liquid Soap
Advil PM Tablets
Small Amount Of Cortisone Anti-Itch Cream
Ibuprofen Tablets
DEET
Compass
Sunglasses
Bear Rope
Pocket Knife
Black Diamond Ergo-trek Poles (Cork)
Duct Tape (Wrapped Around Poles.)
Ear Plugs
Nalgene- 32 Fluid Ounces
Additional Plastic Water Bottle- 20 Fluid Ounces
Salomon Quest 4D GTX Hiking Boots

Total pack weight in absence of Water, Food, or Fuel: 16.5 Pounds (I could only find specific weights online for just a few items.)

I would greatly appreciate any and all advice or opinions, Thanks and happy trails!:banana

mountain squid
04-23-2011, 17:13
Not too bad. Some observations:

gloves/hat at least thru the whites
camp footwear
fuel for stove
lighter
needle for draining blisters
maps
Companion/Guidebook
paper and pencil
whistle
headnet
hand sanitizer
hydration tube for drinking on the go instead of Nalgene

Good Luck! Don't forget to make reservations at Katahdin Stream CG (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/hikingThru.html) in Baxter SP.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Phreak
04-23-2011, 17:25
1 lb 13 oz tarp? I'd replace it with something lighter. Is this being used as rainfly for your hammock?

thepitts
04-23-2011, 17:49
Thanks Mountain Squid' I'll be sure to throw in those odds and ends.

Phreak, that was the weight I got when I looked up the tarp online, it may be wildly inaccurate as it sure doesn't feel like that much weight in my hands or in my pack. And yes it is being used as the fly for my hammock, and it certainly get the job done.

Lord Helment
04-23-2011, 18:02
most post offices have a postal scale you can use to weigh gear..or you can find a cheap kitchen scale for under $15.....by adding mt squids thoughts i believe you are damn close...i am also heading sobo in early july....hope you have a great hike....when are you leaving?

thepitts
04-23-2011, 18:12
Thanks Lord Helment, I didn't entirely trust the bathroom scale (fancy though it looked) to it weighed myself with and without my pack a few times and averaged out the weight just to be sure.

Most things Mt. Squid rightfully mentioned I have ready in the pack, I just forgot to put them on the list.

If all goes according to plan, me and my buddy should be heading south on july 18. I would start earlier but I have to stay for my dumb ol' graduation ceremony, why they had to make it so inconveniently late is beyond me.

Mismatch
04-23-2011, 19:44
If all goes according to plan, me and my buddy should be heading south on july 18. I would start earlier but I have to stay for my dumb ol' graduation ceremony, why they had to make it so inconveniently late is beyond me.

June 18th my friend:)

I do not think I can wait until July. June feels far enough away as is.

thepitts
04-23-2011, 22:12
Confound these unorthodox apple keyboards and the typos they induce. Yea, i meant JUNE 18. My bad.

Chop
04-23-2011, 22:45
Also headed sobo in June and using a hammock. Doors the Clark have a sleeve for the neoair or do you lay on it in the hammock?

thepitts
04-24-2011, 08:43
The clark has six big pockets on it's underside for storing gear but no slot for the pad. I have to lay the neoair on the inside, but the hammock is so roomy that it really doesn't matter.

Migrating Bird
04-24-2011, 11:07
Do you need a small roll of athletic tape and duct tape - can do the same thing.
I would pick only one long sleeve shrit to wear in camp or sleeping in the hammock. I never hiked in mine last May/June.
Wally world blue pad, insulates and is cheap & light
Sunglasses, I did not wear mine at all in ME last year.
A couple of band aids and a couple of sterile gauze pads, ME has a lot of very sharp spruce stubs which can cut like a razor.
In place of pocket knife, a leathermen mini has more uses.
I did not see any stakes for tarp?
Your cook pot looks really big unless your cooking for 2, smaller pot half the weight/less fuel
Windscreen for stove, fuel
I wouldn't carry toenail clippers, clip before you go and when you resupply
I carried 3 pairs of socks, one kept clean for sleeping. I also used low OR stretch gaiters, keeps all the mud, sticks and stones out and your sock and feet stay clean.
Croc camp shoes also for river crossings.
I used body glide on my feet to help prevent blisters, available at dick's (ointment not stick) also helps if you are prone to chaffing.
If you can afford it, I would look into lightening your sleep and shelter system. tarp is too heavy, look into a MaCat deluxe in spinn or even cuben from z-packs
Add 10 pounds of food for the first 10 days and your carrying a lot of weight.
Advill PM or Ibuprofin, not both
Dental floss serves as sewing thread as well as cleaning teeth
Sorry for any redundancies, have a great hike.

M. Bird

thepitts
04-24-2011, 18:34
Thanks for the advice Migrating Bird, I'm pretty happy with most of my gear.

As for a lot of the other things you mentioned, most I have (stakes, fuel, crocs) I just forgot to put them in my list.:D

Papa D
04-24-2011, 20:27
Looks really good - better than most - ditch the compass

thepitts
04-25-2011, 09:39
Thanks Papa D, much appreciated