PDA

View Full Version : Trail Legend...

wacocelt
01-22-2005, 20:24
or Dirty Hippie? You be the judge!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3392

Lone Wolf
01-22-2005, 20:28
Willie, legend. Me, drunk Ahole hippy wannabe.

wacocelt
01-22-2005, 20:35
That picture was on the main page when I logged in, couldn't resist. Your evaluation is right on the money, also!

Lone Wolf
01-22-2005, 20:37
i love you too

wacocelt
01-22-2005, 20:43
Capt. Kmart is gonna be jealous.

'sides, yer th only one what'll talk at me on hur!

Mountain Dew
01-23-2005, 05:18
If I now chime in do I have to become gay like you two ? hahaaa o.k. joking aside....

---On days that we actaully agree : legend......In baseball if you have 3000 hits or 500 home runs they call you a shoe in for the hall of fame. In A.T. terms if you have the third most trail miles or whatever it is then yeah... ...... On second thought. Hey Wolf....are those 16K miles white blazed or a mixture ? hhmmm :-?
---On days that we don't: Ahole hippie blue blazin trash :banana

Lone Wolf
01-23-2005, 07:11
Who cares. There are no trail legends. There are some hikers that love the limelight and being put on a pedestal though. I ain't one.

hikerjohnd
01-23-2005, 10:17
There are no trail legends.
I think there are trail legends - Emma Gatewood, Bill Irwin, others to be sure. We still read about and talk about individuals, for whatever reason, who do not "love the limelight and being put on a pedestal". These individuals have risen in popularity because of their unique characteristics, not because of a desire for fame.

--John

SGT Rock
01-23-2005, 11:09
So LWolf is a legend because he is: "drunk Ahole hippy wannabe"? :-?

I think I get it.:D

wacocelt
01-23-2005, 11:17
I think there are trail legends

And I think God is a black woman whose name is Isis.

hikerjohnd
01-23-2005, 11:23
And I think God is a black woman whose name is Isis.
And isn't it great that you are free to have that opinion no matter how wrong it is?

wacocelt
01-23-2005, 12:24
And isn't it great that you are free to have that opinion no matter how wrong it is?

I concur heartily with the great and free part, the rest of your statement is purely specualtion. Be well! :D

Tha Wookie
01-23-2005, 14:33
"Legend" might be a word for it.

But, thru's are kind of in a different league. I mean, this ISN'T baseball. There is no real, only occasionally imagined competition. That's what makes hiking. It's outside the foul posts.

People like LW, Weather Carrot, Yogi, Jack, EZ-DUZ-IT, Six-String, Ishmael, Warren Doyle, Wingy, Isis & Jackrabbit, Meadow Ed, Sweeper (Matt Kirk), Ray Jardine, and others are incredible people with highly distinct personalities honed by thousands of trail miles. They are all great folks (and many more) who do not deserve a pedastal per se, but a whole ton of respect and miles and miles of space.

I'll refer to them as "contemporary heros of the True Self"

They've all made my life better and more inspired.

SGT Rock
01-23-2005, 14:53
OK, so if it is a given that there are some people that are well known; then what is it that elevates someone to "Trail Legend" status? I would have to say that the classic definition is just like any other legend - exagerated tall tales based somewhat in fact. Paul Bunyan, Casey Jones, John Henery, etc are all legends. There doesn't seem to be a lot of those sorts of people for the AT.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2005, 14:58
That's right Rock. The AT is just a hiking trail. Nothing legendary about it or anyone who walks on it.

Brushy Sage
01-23-2005, 20:29
The two guys in that photo look too young to be legends, and two clean to be bums. I guess looks are often deceiving.

baseballswthrt
01-23-2005, 20:36
Definately a trail legend! :jump

I just returned from the Damascus area and I am pleased to say I met a real live trail legend in the flesh:clap ! I actually got to meet and shake the hand of Lone Wolf! I was so STARSTRUCK , I couldn't think of one intelligent thing to say to the man! LOL! After leaving, I was thinking that I should have sat down and talked to him and picked his brain about how to do a thru hike and listened to an experienced thru hiker! He has actually thru hiked and all I can do is dream about mine in 2011! :sun

Lone Wolf
01-23-2005, 20:38
Hey guys! How was the seafood buffet at The Mill?

baseballswthrt
01-23-2005, 20:41
Hey guys! How was the seafood buffet at The Mill?
It was fantastic!! We really enjoyed our anniversary dinner and were planning on buying you a drink afterward and chatting, but you were gone! Maybe next time!

orangebug
01-23-2005, 22:06
A real trail legend is so good at Yogi-ing, he would have scored the drinks before you sat down to eat.

You'll get there yet, LW.

Mountain Dew
01-25-2005, 02:19
LW, "who cares" ... You care enough to know within a few hundred miles how many you have amassed over the years. Yeah, you care alright.

-----------------------------------
This may not be baseball, but they are still foul poles and NOT posts. Wookie, "It's outside the foul posts." ;)

------------------------------------
I'm curious. If you ( anybody) think that there are NO A.T. legends then do you then believe that there are no legends of any sort ?

Lone Wolf
01-25-2005, 06:46
I'm not pompous enough to have a website about my hike(s). :D

Jeremy
01-25-2005, 19:38
Who cares. There are no trail legends. There are some hikers that love the limelight and being put on a pedestal though. I ain't one.This is a very truthful bit of philosophy. There are no legends, only people who believe in legends, and people that believe they are legends. If Lone Wolf considers himself a hiker, that is much more admirable than considering yourself a legend.

saimyoji
01-26-2005, 00:19
I'm not pompous enough to have a website about my hike(s). :D
I think I know to what you refer, but I'm kinda glad that there are people willing to share their hikes with me and others. (Thank you website dudes and journal writers :) .) What I find pompous is when people feel that you are not good enough to share hikes with. :cool:

Now, we're talking legends right? Whoever said you had to do GOOD things to become legendary? I can think of quite a few legends that have rather negative, even criminal, connotations. Now who are the trail legends?:bse

Tha Wookie
01-26-2005, 00:27
LW, "who cares" ... You care enough to know within a few hundred miles how many you have amassed over the years. Yeah, you care alright.

-----------------------------------
This may not be baseball, but they are still foul poles and NOT posts. Wookie, "It's outside the foul posts." ;)

------------------------------------

yawn ... whatever

Happy
01-26-2005, 00:59
yawn ... whatever

I agree totally..I'm going to bed!

Mountain Dew
01-26-2005, 01:40
Lone Wolf, "I'm not pompous enough to have a website about my hike(s)." --- I remember at one time you claimed anybody with a website, a patch, etc. was only concerned with themselves ... :-? Sgt. Rock, ATtroll , me ... Wait...on second thought... I remember you being a part of the now disbanded "Hobocentral" group. So tell us Wolf...did they have a website ? bwahahahahaahaa :banana I know your limited drinking induced stuper might not allow you to comprehend this, but people DO use websites to help and inform people about hiking. Trail Journals is also an excellent way to keep everybody you know informed about your trip without having to call a million people. Just as you help people that come through Damascus with rides etc. people that live far away have other ways at helping people with their hikes. Embrace the truth. ;)

Lone Wolf
01-26-2005, 03:37
Do you ever wonder why Hawaii has interstate highways? :-?

Tha Wookie
01-26-2005, 11:09
They do? Fasinating!

Mountain Dew
01-27-2005, 01:16
:-? I give. Tell us. ( You sure know how to kill a good "verbal war" ;)

Rocks 'n Roots
01-27-2005, 01:32
I think he's drinking the soy sauce...

Jack Lincoln
01-27-2005, 03:32
Originally Posted by L. Wolf

Cause one lane isn't big enough for Dewey's mouth!

Skeemer
01-27-2005, 09:42
I think it's intra vs interstate

Lone Wolf
01-27-2005, 09:47
Ever wonder why there is braille at a drive-up ATM? :-?

SGT Rock
01-27-2005, 10:37
OOOOH! OOOH! I know this one!

In case a guy drives a blind person thru an ATM in a British car! :datz:

Dances with Mice
01-27-2005, 11:11
How come when we another kid the "family sized" pizzas didn't get bigger?

Goon
01-27-2005, 14:55
Stop it! My head hurts! (It doesn't take much)

Mountain Dew
01-27-2005, 15:09
Jackass Lincoln what's wrong ? You still made that I pointed out your obvious hypocricy in numerous posts ? Get over it or better yet stop doinf it. Following me around to every thread I post on is a bit juvenile and only makes me expose you further.

jmaclennan
01-27-2005, 22:14
It'll be okay, Mountain Douche. You can stop overcompensating already. Love, Graymatter

Mountain Dew
01-28-2005, 17:32
bwahahaahaaa Gray Splatter or Brown splatter you meant to say riiiiight brother ?

jmaclennan
01-28-2005, 19:28
Now I remember. You inhaled my horrible gas (speaking of legendary) from about mid-Vermont all the way to Katahdin. I still can't figure out why you refused to hike in front of me. :-? Maybe you liked the smell. Perhaps you were afraid I might catch you crapping your pants again. :bse

Mountain Dew
01-28-2005, 23:19
"I still can't figure out why you refused to hike in front of me."

Reasons:
1. you guys would slow down and wait for us when you needed to let one rip.
2. Greenmans gas once caught me from behind. About 20 feet back while I was on a 3 mph pace to be exact. RIDICULOUS !!!
3. Both of you would chase us if we were in front of you guys to let it fly in front of us and I couldn't out run you guys.
4. Once when you two had hiked faster that I had one day i knew you guys were close when I smelled that terrible odor. TRUE story there !

and you guys are my friends why ? :-? ;)