PDA

View Full Version : Sams Gap to Iron Mt Gap-Shuttle etc.

bus
04-24-2011, 11:48
Thinking of doing a weekend in Oct. if time permits. Sam's Gap to Iron Mt Gap. Any recommended shuttle services (besides Uncle Johnny) in that area.

I know one person in Bakersville,NC, but, not sure if that person would be willing and able to shuttle back to Sam's Gap (is parking even 'safe' at Sam's Gap.)

The main problem would be reserving the shuttle as my trip up from Florida would be spur of the moment dependent on launch schedule at work.

Another option would be to hike on to Carvers Gap-probably staring at Spivey if that is the case.

Thoughts, suggestions etc. Regarding this and possible the scenery that time of year?

thanks

bus
04-28-2011, 11:51
Thanks Again for any suggestions

10-K
04-28-2011, 11:57
October is a long ways off but I can help you probably. Sam's Gap is a pretty good place to leave a car...

doppler10
04-28-2011, 14:58
If you talk to Connie at Greasy Creek Friendy (about 6-7 miles by road and 4 or so by trail from Iron Mtn Gap) she will shuttle people and I believe she might even let you park your car there, but I'm not sure. She saved my ass from Iron Mountain Gap in early March at night during a snowstorm. Great lady.

bus
04-28-2011, 17:09
October is a long ways off ...

You're telling me...:)

10-K
04-28-2011, 17:21
You're telling me...:)

:)

I live about halfway between Sam's Gap and Iron Mt. Gap - drop me a line when it gets closer and I'm sure we can work something out.

bus
04-28-2011, 20:37
:)

I live about halfway between Sam's Gap and Iron Mt. Gap - drop me a line when it gets closer and I'm sure we can work something out.

Very very cool. :)

I know October is a long way off, but, that is the first full month that I know we won't be launching a space shuttle.

bus
08-31-2011, 12:24
Well, do to the reduction in workforce of the space shuttle program, I now have October free for hiking! Trying to narrow down the sections I want to hike. Still thinking of the Sams to Iron sectiosn, as well, as doing the Roan again.

If a buddy comes along we may to Winding Stair to NOC.

10-K, I may need a shuttle if I do Sams to Iron.

I hope to time my hike with the leave change...any tips for the sections mentioned above regarding leave change and water availability?

58starter
09-20-2011, 23:00
Does any one know if Uncle Johnny's shuttle back to Sam's Gap? Would like to hike Sam's to Erwin last weeked of Oct.
I know it might be cold but will be my last chance to hike this year.

10-K
09-21-2011, 06:34
Well, do to the reduction in workforce of the space shuttle program, I now have October free for hiking! Trying to narrow down the sections I want to hike. Still thinking of the Sams to Iron sectiosn, as well, as doing the Roan again.

If a buddy comes along we may to Winding Stair to NOC.

10-K, I may need a shuttle if I do Sams to Iron.

I hope to time my hike with the leave change...any tips for the sections mentioned above regarding leave change and water availability?

Shouldn't be any problem - give me as much notice as you can.

Water's fine the whole way - depends on when in October you go as far as leaf change goes. Last year I think it had peaked by the 15th or so.

10-K
09-21-2011, 06:35
Does any one know if Uncle Johnny's shuttle back to Sam's Gap? Would like to hike Sam's to Erwin last weeked of Oct.
I know it might be cold but will be my last chance to hike this year.

They will and if for some reason they can't I can.