PDA

View Full Version : I need to book a place at K stream camp

Khalidur
04-24-2011, 13:42
Hi, currently in the UK and looking to climb Katahdin on fri 3rd june, sleep overnight at Katahdin stream campground and then head south as far as I can for three months.

Is there anyway I can book a place in the campground via email?

I could sent a letter by international mail, but they also want a self adressed envelope, and any stamps I buy for this envelope (i'm assuming?) will only be valid for the royal mail and not the US postal service?

What can I do?

Is it too risky to turn up to the park without reservations and assume the park won't be booked up in early june on a friday night?

See you all on the trail!

K-man.

Lord Helment
04-24-2011, 13:58
k-man...try www.baxterstateparlauthority.com (http://www.baxterstateparlauthority.com) ...maybe they will make an exception for you considering your circumstances....they have probably been confronted with international hikers before....or maybe they could make an exception and allow you to stay at the birches.....or you could start in monson....gp through the 100 mile wilderness to katahdin and you would then be able to use the birches...then get shuttled back to monson....lastly you can monitor available sites at katahdin stream via the internet and if available within 2 weeks of the reservation you can make a reservation over the phone...my dollar says they will find a way to accomodate you....good luck

Lord Helment
04-24-2011, 13:59
sorry......typo in the link www.baxterstateparkauthority.com (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com)

Khalidur
04-24-2011, 15:17
Is it owrth turning up without reservations in early june? I've heard it's not as booked up then

TJ aka Teej
04-24-2011, 18:07
Is it owrth turning up without reservations in early june? I've heard it's not as booked up then

You can chance it. Mailing in is your best bet, or you can wait until that date rolls open and call in a charge card.
What exactly are your plans? After you fly in, are you taking the bus to Medway from Bangor or Portland the next day? You know that bus gets in too late and too far from the Park to check in that same night, right?
Make sure you're reserving for a realistic arrival date.
I know a little about the Park, if I can help with any questions, just ask away.

protargol
04-25-2011, 10:20

I've been in contact with them recently (if you hop on skype and give them a call, they're pretty helpful) and have a similar target start weekend. I was going to make a reservation, but since the trail conditions are a bit iffy around early June, I'm going to hold off on making it. K springs isn't filling up yet, and probably won't so I'm just holding off until 2 weeks before.

They said they got snow last week, so until things start to really warm up and melt, there's no way to tell what the trail will be like in early June.

Worst case scenario we can prob split a campsite with you if we're a go for June 3.

Khalidur
04-25-2011, 12:09
You can chance it. Mailing in is your best bet, or you can wait until that date rolls open and call in a charge card.
What exactly are your plans? After you fly in, are you taking the bus to Medway from Bangor or Portland the next day? You know that bus gets in too late and too far from the Park to check in that same night, right?
Make sure you're reserving for a realistic arrival date.
I know a little about the Park, if I can help with any questions, just ask away.

Hi, I plan on Flying into Bangor on the first, Where Someone on this forum will pick me up and Drive me up to Baxter on Friday 3rd (not sure if he'd want me to name him, but I'm really grateful...not even on the trail yet and already I've received my first act of trail magic!).

I think I might wait a few more weeks before calling BSP, like protargol.

I've been in contact with them recently (if you hop on skype and give them a call, they're pretty helpful) and have a similar target start weekend. I was going to make a reservation, but since the trail conditions are a bit iffy around early June, I'm going to hold off on making it. K springs isn't filling up yet, and probably won't so I'm just holding off until 2 weeks before.

They said they got snow last week, so until things start to really warm up and melt, there's no way to tell what the trail will be like in early June.

Worst case scenario we can prob split a campsite with you if we're a go for June 3.

When do you plan on climbing Katahdin? I've looked around on the forums and there's not many starting early june so we'll probably bump into each other every now and then!

Seeing as how there's not many NOBOs arriving at BSP early june, hopefully they let us sleep in the Birches for a night.

mountain squid
04-25-2011, 12:39
Seeing as how there's not many NOBOs arriving at BSP early june, hopefully they let us sleep in the Birches for a night.Not a recommended plan of attack.

The sign-up sheet for The Birches is on the AT, just as a NOBO hiker is entering the park. It would be a major bummer for a NOBO hiker to reserve a spot only to arrive at The Birches and find it full.

Check out Appalachian Trail Lodge (http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/). Maybe they can help in some way.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Khalidur
04-25-2011, 13:01
Not a recommended plan of attack.

The sign-up sheet for The Birches is on the AT, just as a NOBO hiker is entering the park. It would be a major bummer for a NOBO hiker to reserve a spot only to arrive at The Birches and find it full.

Check out Appalachian Trail Lodge (http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/). Maybe they can help in some way.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Understood. I think I'll give them a call a week or two before I'm due to arrive and ask to be allowed to pay in cash, in person, and be allowed to reserve over the phone.

protargol
04-25-2011, 13:30
When do you plan on climbing Katahdin? I've looked around on the forums and there's not many starting early june so we'll probably bump into each other every now and then!

Seeing as how there's not many NOBOs arriving at BSP early june, hopefully they let us sleep in the Birches for a night.

Our original plan is to drive up from Boston June 3rd, summit Katahdin the 4th and camp again in K Springs, and then keep going on the 5th. I'm trying to organize a trip so a group of friends can send us off (and drive us). But I'm going to hold off until more last minute to make sure the trail is good to go so we don't have to pull zero days right off the bat waiting for the trail to become passable. I'm banking on the black fly fears to keep people at a distance for a while.

Khalidur
04-25-2011, 13:52
Our original plan is to drive up from Boston June 3rd, summit Katahdin the 4th and camp again in K Springs, and then keep going on the 5th. I'm trying to organize a trip so a group of friends can send us off (and drive us). But I'm going to hold off until more last minute to make sure the trail is good to go so we don't have to pull zero days right off the bat waiting for the trail to become passable. I'm banking on the black fly fears to keep people at a distance for a while.

Black fly's don't scare me....spent last summer hiking around Kathmandu Valley during monsoon season. Mosquitos somehow managed to bite me through my loose pants and shirt :cool:

I think I've developed an immunity to bites, it'd get red and inflamed but be gone by the next morning.

Can't wait to see what Maine has to offer, relative to my experience, it's probably gonna be a lot more drier :eek:

protargol
04-25-2011, 13:59
Black fly's don't scare me....spent last summer hiking around Kathmandu Valley during monsoon season. Mosquitos somehow managed to bite me through my loose pants and shirt :cool:

I think I've developed an immunity to bites, it'd get red and inflamed but be gone by the next morning.

Can't wait to see what Maine has to offer, relative to my experience, it's probably gonna be a lot more drier :eek:

Can't argue with that ha. And yeah, it's not keeping us away, but I do expect it to be a little less in demand that time of year. The masses hopefully will stay away

Khalidur
04-25-2011, 14:07
...Can't wait to see what Maine has to offer, relative to my experience, it's probably gonna be a lot more drier :eek:

Just as I typed that, I knew I'm gonna live to regret it :banana

myotheralt
04-25-2011, 17:20
Just as I typed that, I knew I'm gonna live to regret it :banana

Thanks, Khali, Destroyer of Plans