PDA

View Full Version : 1 man tent

Megapixel
04-24-2011, 14:00
Can I get some thoughts on the best 1 man tent
Since may now be thruhiking solo with my wife's recent injury?
I like tarptents, I like space for me
And my gear...just overwhelmed by the choices
I think Henry has 4 choices for 1 person shelters...
Also, not interested in hammocks, or tarps with
No floor.
Thanks!

brian039
04-24-2011, 14:10
MSR Hubba, not a tarp-tent and not exactly the lightest option. But you can sit up in it which is invaluable on rainy days when you might be stuck in your tent for an extended period of time. There's plenty of room for all your gear. It takes about two minutes to set it up and it's free-standing so if you end up in a bad spot in the middle of the night you just simply pick it up and move it. You can also set it up on tent platforms easily which come into play in the northern sections. Holds up very well in storms also. Your tent and sleeping pad are the most important gear decisions in my opinion, explore all your options. Not many people who carry hammocks and tarps actually use them anyways.

Megapixel
04-24-2011, 14:20
Thanks... I tent slot because of the miles I walk... Landing in between shelters...But I want reduce the weight from my current tent, the rainshadow, 40 oz.

Megapixel
04-24-2011, 14:31
If u use the 1 man Hubba, can u tell me the weight?

It looks really sweet!

jcazz
04-24-2011, 14:50
Gossamer Gear's The One -plenty of room for all your gear and a hound dog. I bought a used one cheap on BackpackingLight.com. I really like the side entrance it is nice when it's raining and you can open the fly it doesn't rain inside the tent -also you can enjoy the views while lying on your side.

Mountain Wildman
04-24-2011, 15:08
Plenty of room in a one person tent depends on your size and the amount of your gear.
I am 5' 11" and have a 4200 ci pack, I bought the Gossamer Gear One new and had just enough room for me, No room for my pack since I don't want to use it as a pillow. I sold The One and bought the LightHeart Duo 2 Person tent, It has more than enough room for me and my gear and weighs 2 pounds.
If you want to go a little lighter, The LightHeart Solo weighs about a half a pound less and I have read that it has sufficient room for you and gear.
Worth taking a look.
http://www.lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Duo.html

http://www.lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Solo.html

brian039
04-24-2011, 15:28
If u use the 1 man Hubba, can u tell me the weight?

It looks really sweet!

It weighs 45oz, not exactly lightweight by today's standards but you won't find an unhappy thru-hiker who carried a Hubba. It is your home for 5-6 months, I'd cut weight in other areas to carry a nice shelter but that's just me. My pack weight was 24lbs with cold-weather gear and 3 days of food, I was more than comfortable with that. Once you get to the Whites and into Maine, your camping options become severely limited due to the rockiness and density of the trees. You end up having to use tent platforms unless you get lucky and find a good tenting spot(which does happen on occasion if you're really looking). It's really nice to have a freestanding tent in these situations if you're like me and don't like staying in shelters.

ekeverette
04-24-2011, 17:05
not experienced like brian039,but i have become ocd looking at tents, and the hubba is the 1. going to get me one on my upcoming thru.

Praha4
04-24-2011, 17:37
Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo is the best shelter for the weight, good for one person and gear and lots of room

Frog
04-24-2011, 18:32
Check out the Hillenberg Rajd two pounds uses two hiking poles and has lots of room. Both head room and just putting your stuff inside. I simply love this tent

sbhikes
04-24-2011, 19:20
I like the Gossamer Gear One the best. I'm only 5'3" so maybe that makes a difference, but there are lots of tents I can't sit up all the way in and the One isn't one of them. I can sit up in it and not be stuck in one spot. I've never had to touch the walls when I put my stuff away in the morning. There's room to put some of your stuff outside, too.

I agree the Lunar Duo is really spacious, too. It's a two-person tent, though. But the weight is not too bad for a single person and you can save some extra weight and not bother using a tyvek sheet underneath or those little strut poles in the ceiling.

Papa D
04-24-2011, 20:05
MSR Carbon Reflex - Hubba with one light pole - not free standing but super great tent

Zachsdad
04-24-2011, 20:13
Take a look at the Big Agnes Copper Spur 1. Total weight 3lbs; freestanding, lots of shoulder room; can sit up; double wall ventilation. I liked the Hubba also, but the Copper Spur provides more room inside and a bigger vestibule for the same total weight. The only downside - $349.00

Lugnut
04-24-2011, 20:18
Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo is the best shelter for the weight, good for one person and gear and lots of room

Have only used mine a few times but so far I really like it.

Ashevillian
04-24-2011, 20:29
I've hiked with a Hubba for three years now. I love it.

Chubbs4U
04-24-2011, 23:40
http://www.amazon.com/MSR-12517-Hubba-Tent/dp/B001Q7JFL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303702762&sr=8-1

slightly used but its from Amazon so they will take it back I bet if you dont like. Looks like a steal.

Liv2Ride
04-25-2011, 07:52
When I go to ground I use my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1. It's certainly a little heavier than the non-freestanding tents mentioned but I love that tent. It's basically a 1.5 person tent, durable and dependable. It fits me and my medium sized dog without any issues. Bigger and roomier than the Hubba yet weighs the same and has more bells and whistles. It's a side entry which is a must for me and one cool feature is the little zippered door on the opposite wall where you can store additional stuff and have access to it without going outside and lifting the vestibule.
Now, if I were to go with a nonfreestanding tent I would more than likely look into the duo. But so far I prefer the comfort of knowing that I can set the tent up in places that a nonfreestanding tent is unable to.

KingKrawler
04-30-2011, 23:38
I started and finished my thru hike last year with the Moment Tarptent - 30 oz, and I carried no footprint or groundcloth based upon the recommendation of the maker, Henry Shires. I did not purchase the optional cross pole, which adds another 7 oz.

Never had a problem. At 6' tall, I could sleep comfortably in the Moment with my pack inside with me. You MUST use the venting system to prevent condensation on the inside walls of the tent. I kept the vestibule tied back unless there was a thunderstorm.

Chubbs4U
05-01-2011, 00:08
I started and finished my thru hike last year with the Moment Tarptent - 30 oz, and I carried no footprint or groundcloth based upon the recommendation of the maker, Henry Shires. I did not purchase the optional cross pole, which adds another 7 oz.

Never had a problem. At 6' tall, I could sleep comfortably in the Moment with my pack inside with me. You MUST use the venting system to prevent condensation on the inside walls of the tent. I kept the vestibule tied back unless there was a thunderstorm.

You didnt use anything under your tent? I just got a rainbow and not sure what if anything to use under it.

Duff
05-01-2011, 08:40
Camper? - Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1
Hiker? - (If not a tarp set-up) Gossamer Gear "The One"

Your back will thank you.

Spokes
05-01-2011, 08:57
The Hubba HP is pretty much bombproof. I thru'd with one. Recently switched to a SMD Lunar Solo. Darn thing is lighter and roomier than the Hubba but not freestanding. Not a problem.

Consider a side entrance design which is easier to enter and exit. Good luck.

skinewmexico
05-01-2011, 12:07
I recently sold my Tarptent Moment to finance a Tarptent Rainbow. Both great tents. I just wanted to ability to sleep two in a pinch, which is why I got the Rainbow. I've also got a Tarptent Sublite, which is fabulous for where I am, but I don't think it would be too good on the AT. I've been wrong before though. If you can wait, you might check out the new SMD Skyscape Series. I ordered the Scout, just because it was a great intro deal, and I'm a gear wh*re.

trailangelbronco
05-01-2011, 15:01
traildays.

Where wet people trade in their tarptents for real tents.

tat44too
05-01-2011, 15:23
I returned my Hubba 1P. At only 26" wide, I felt too cramped. I have a Marmot Eos 1P now, and I love it. To me, it's the perfect size. Good luck...

58starter
05-01-2011, 16:44
I section hiked 80+ miles in TN and NC durning the last week of March and 1st week of April this year. Had heavy winds, rain, and snowed on me twice. I have a new Eureaka Spitfire 1 one man tent. It was light weight and I never got wet once. I really like the tent a lot. I am 6'2" and weigh around 225. It is easy to set up and take down. The poles pack easily on the outside of my pack and tent in the bottom of the pack.

stranger
05-01-2011, 18:25
Take a look at the Big Agnes Copper Spur 1. Total weight 3lbs; freestanding, lots of shoulder room; can sit up; double wall ventilation. I liked the Hubba also, but the Copper Spur provides more room inside and a bigger vestibule for the same total weight. The only downside - $349.00

Agreed, lighter than the Hubba and larger, 16 inches wider at the head, 4 inches wider at the foot, and atleast 6 inches longer, with a larger vestibule in front, a smaller one in back and a longer overhang so no water drips inside.

I love my Copper Spur, nothing wrong with a Hubba, but considering the above, I can't see why someone would get one over a Copper Spur other than price.

LIhikers
05-01-2011, 21:22
You didnt use anything under your tent? I just got a rainbow and not sure what if anything to use under it.

I've also got a Rainbow. I don't use anything under it and there's no problem. If you really want a ground cloth Tyvek (spelling?) is the usual material of choice to make one from or buy it from Tarptent.

q-tip
05-02-2011, 17:41
used TT Contrail (32 oz. total) excellent three season. I got me and all my gear inside--

88BlueGT
05-02-2011, 17:50
traildays.

Where wet people trade in their tarptents for real tents.

Are you referring to Henry Shires tarptents? :/

tolkien
05-04-2011, 15:59
Eureka Spitfire