PDA

View Full Version : Call for National Park in Maine

TJ aka Teej
01-23-2005, 00:50
The 'Maine' source for comprehensive Maine environmental news is the Maine Environmental Policy Institute's website:http://www.meepi.org/ (http://www.meepi.org/)

recent stories linked:

Creating a national park in the state's north woods could help reawaken the nation's slumbering conservation movement (http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/state/050121quimby.shtml) (Portland Press Herald, 1/21/04)
ROCKPORT — One of Maine's largest individual landowners says she believes that creating a national park in the state's north woods could help reawaken the nation's slumbering conservation movement. "We need to sell the agenda of the environment to the 80 percent of Americans now who don't know and don't care," said Roxanne Quimby, who made a fortune as founder of Burt's Bees, an all-natural cosmetics business.

Maine forestlands in times of change
Friday, January 21, 2005 - Bangor Daily News
ROCKPORT - Maine's North Woods are in a time of transition with huge swaths of land changing hands almost weekly, paper mills struggling to survive in a new global market, and multimillion-dollar homes being constructed inside a vast wilderness. But precisely what Maine should do to shape the future of this northwesterly third of our state inspired debate among six prominent conservationists at Thursday's annual winter meeting of the Maine State Bar Association. Roxanne Quimby, co-founder of Burt's Bees and, more recently, the best known and most vilified proponent of a Maine Woods National Park, said Thursday she still believes federal recognition would give the region the best chance of protecting its ecological and economic interests.

"A national park brings national attention," Quimby said, citing a park's ability to "sell" environmental values to the majority of Americans who don't consider the natural world a priority. "It's about selling the environment to a population that's either in denial or asleep at the wheel," she said.

Peaks
01-23-2005, 09:48
There has been talk about a north woods national park in Maine for a several years. Facts are that Mainers are resistant to the federal government control. Plus, the last time I checked, the group pushing the national park had a Massachusetts address. Bottom line, a national park isn't going to happen any time soon.

I rather see a national forest in the north woods. But no one is talking about that.

Jaybird
01-23-2005, 12:36
They paved paradise put up a parking lot
With a big hotel, a boutique, and a swinging hot spot

Chorus:
Don't it always seem to go,
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.
The paved paradise put up a parking lot

They took all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum,
And they charge the people a dollar and a half just to see 'em

Chorus

Hey farmer farmer, put away the DDT now
Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees
Please

Chorus

Late last night, I heard the screen door slam,
And a big yellow taxi took away my old man.

Chorus x 2

The paved paradise put up a parking lot....

Joni Mitchell 1970

walkin' wally
01-23-2005, 13:42
RESTORE BOSTON; Leave our Maine way of life alone.

walkin' wally
01-23-2005, 13:59
There has been talk about a north woods national park in Maine for a several years. Facts are that Mainers are resistant to the federal government control.

Mainers are resistant to a lot more than government control. There are a lot of things to consider on this issue and Maine in general. "Such As" it is.

TJ aka Teej
01-25-2005, 11:58
There has been talk about a north woods national park in Maine for a several years.
Several decades, in fact. Goes back to the time when Gov. Baxter proposed purchasing Katahdin as a State Park and federal authorities considered a National Park alternative. There's little support north of Portland for people from away to be controlling parts of Maine's North Woods, unless they're international forestry and land liquidation megacorps or the Boston based Appalachian Mountain Club. Smartly, when the AMC proposed establishing an outdoor recreation base east of Greenville, they knew from their previous failed development project in the western mountains that they had to first sell this one to the locals. So they featured snow sled access, continued logging, and the economic benefits of tourism during their successful sales pitch in Greenville and Augusta. It's hard to argue that Acadia National Park or the White Mountain National Forest have proved to be bad things, but logic has little influence over emotion, and emotion will rule the day on this issue.

rickb
01-25-2005, 13:31
That was a good link.

I am not surprised that Ms. Quimby has changed her own focus away from the National Park idea. You don't build an empire like hers without having vision AND being a pragmatist.

Time to raid my wife's almond hand cream in Ms. Quimby's honor....

Rick B

BlackCloud
01-25-2005, 15:17
Having studied the history of "conservation" movements as a whole and the Nat'l Park Service as an agency, I can tell you that this has been tried twice before and has failed; for good reason.

What absolutely disgusts me here is the attempted hijacking of the National Park idea by yet another environmentalist yahoo looking to promote her own agenda. And believe me folks, she isn't alone. Look at the link - she wants a new national park, not to preserve a natural or cultural resource, but to shed new light on her cause. What, are the state officials not adequately protecting the AT, Mt. Khatahdin, or whatever else? There is not a single reason any area of the No. Maine Woods should be a Nat'l Park instead of a Nat'l Forest. (If you don't know the difference, and care about the environment, you need to do some research.)

Twice (at least) in the past century gov't officials and conservation leaders have examined and studied the area for inclusion in the Nat'l Park System & have denied it based on the MERITS.

Unfortunately however, that's no longer how it works. Folks, be wise. This is part of the larger picture, namely that the environmental movement is going corporate. Why does this woman want a Nat'l Park? For attention. Why does she want attention? MONEY.

Look @ what the Washington Post uncovered w/ the Nature Conservancy a few years back. ATC changing it's name a matter of semantics? I think not. Salaries are going to go from the 30's to the 150's @ the ATC - you watch. That's not some vast right-wing conspiracy folks, that's a fact they'll admit on the phone if you call them.

Today there are something like 10 times the number of conservancy organizations in the U.S. then there were inthe 70's - arguably the height of the environmental mvmt. They may not be accomplishing more, but a whole lot more people are employed by them. Keep your eye on them.....

walkin' wally
01-25-2005, 19:01
I am having a hard time warming up to a person with a degree in art from some college on the west coast who wants to come here and create a national park. No she is not from Maine.

The same person who met with other parties several months ago who wanted to know what her intentions were and she honestly said did not know what a national forest is. Some vision.

The same person who took her business out of state to make her fortune. ( re; "Empire") Neanderthal labor force here I guess. Enjoy those products. She has mostly sold out. That is where her money comes from.

The same person who has bought an entire township and closed it off to traditional uses. This is no different than a developer doing the same thing.

Celebrities from hollywood have flown over the state and were said to favor a national park as they looked down. Wow, we now have glitter. They don't have a clue what people do to make a living here and don't care.

Yes, this project does not have a lot of support north of Portand. Those who have spent time here know about the "Two Maines".

For those who don't like logging; try using plastic toilet paper. And move out of your wood frame house or whatever too. And stay away from AT shelters. Get rid of those trail maps. Stay off those logging (Golden) roads. Newspapers? forget it. Books no. Bog bridges no. Privys no. Ranger cabins no.

Be true to yourselves.

Oh, about that sign on Baxter Peak...

Please folks... Let It Be :sun

TJ aka Teej
03-21-2005, 22:14
Recent Maine Woods National Park & Preserve opinions:
Fer:
http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/viewpoints/mvoice/050320northwoods.shtml (http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/viewpoints/mvoice/050320northwoods.shtml)
(the Press Herald is southern Maine's major daily)
Agin:
http://magic-city-news.com/article_3454.shtml (http://magic-city-news.com/article_3454.shtml)
(this is a website run by WB member 'Magic', who operates the Hard Drive Cafe in Millinocket)

weary
03-22-2005, 09:29
There has been talk about a north woods national park in Maine for a several years. Facts are that Mainers are resistant to the federal government control. Plus, the last time I checked, the group pushing the national park had a Massachusetts address. Bottom line, a national park isn't going to happen any time soon.

I rather see a national forest in the north woods. But no one is talking about that.
Polls show public support for a park. It's the politicians beholden to developers who are opposed. There is opposition from hunting and ATV groups who don't want to lose access and hunting rights.

The "Massachusetts" group that is leading the charge proposes not a National Park but a "National Park and Preserve." The preserve is to answer the complaints of hunters. A preserve can be anything Congress might decree.

I meet from time to time with state officials concerned with the fragmentation of the largest block of unbroken forest in the east. (about 15 million acres, 10 million of which is in unorganized regions with no local government) The good thing is that all the land is on the market or will be soon.

The challenge is to find the funds to somehow buy the land.

My proposal is for a 10 million acre state forest, paid for by federal dollars since the resulting forest will become a mecca for people nationwide.

This would be one of the most spectacular preserves in the nation, rivaling and exceeding the great western parks in sheer beauty and the only large block of broad northeastern land so preserved. This is an environment unlike any in the nation. By world standards Maine is almost a rain forest. Rain fall runs around 40 inches or more and unlike the south and west falls almost equally over the 12 months. A giant Maine protected forest would be an incredible addition to the nation's wildlands.

At the heart of this preserve, of course, would be the Appalachian Trail, winding 283 miles from Carlos Col on the New Hampshire border to the summit of Katahdin. The US Department of the Interior already owns 42,000 acres. Unfortunately these acres in places are in strips 200 feet wide and rarely extend more than 1,000 feet.

Our goal as the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust is to broaden this corridor, to provide the buffers needed to protect the wildness that most long distance hikers perceive in Maine.

I know. Many on this list think these are impossible dreams. But dreams can happen -- providing people can be found to think beyond the obvious. We somehow must find people who can rise to the challenge of a new/old vision.

Remember Benton MacKaye urged not a narrow corridor, but a "realm," a broad band of wildness. Yes, initially, he saw summer camps and work camps and sanitariums within his realm. But he quickly outgrew such pedestian things. He quickly came to realize that the critical need was for wildness to replenish the human soul.

If there are any more such folks on WhiteBlaze just open www.matlt.org

It's easy. You just need to put your money where your heart is.

Weary

Gonzo!
03-22-2005, 09:38
Each individual lives for themselves. Don’t let anyone kid you – in the long run everything is done selfishly. Since this is a general rule for humanity, there will never be peace, and there will always be disagreements over what should be done. People can’t even agree upon the simplest things. The more people there are – the more different points of view there are. Along with the additional points of view come more disagreements over what should be done….. We are doomed!

weary
03-22-2005, 18:32
They paved paradise put up a parking lot
With a big hotel, a boutique, and a swinging hot spot

Chorus:
Don't it always seem to go,
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.
The paved paradise put up a parking lot

They took all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum,
And they charge the people a dollar and a half just to see 'em

Let's sort of keep in mind, that in this case we are ahead of the curve. I've told you what we've got -- and what we need.

What we need is simply people stepping up and doing what they can. Yeah, I know. Everyone has a thousand excuses -- but as you know, that is all they are, excuses.

We can protect the trail in Maine. But the job will be easier if we can show evidence that a few hikers, anywhere, share our vision.

Weary www.matlt.org

walkin' wally
03-23-2005, 19:48
Polls show public support for a park. It's the politicians beholden to developers who are opposed. There is opposition from hunting and ATV groups who don't want to lose access and hunting rights.

The "Massachusetts" group that is leading the charge proposes not a National Park but a "National Park and Preserve." The preserve is to answer the complaints of hunters. A preserve can be anything Congress might decree.

I meet from time to time with state officials concerned with the fragmentation of the largest block of unbroken forest in the east. (about 15 million acres, 10 million of which is in unorganized regions with no local government) The good thing is that all the land is on the market or will be soon.

The challenge is to find the funds to somehow buy the land.

My proposal is for a 10 million acre state forest, paid for by federal dollars since the resulting forest will become a mecca for people nationwide.

This would be one of the most spectacular preserves in the nation, rivaling and exceeding the great western parks in sheer beauty and the only large block of broad northeastern land so preserved. This is an environment unlike any in the nation. By world standards Maine is almost a rain forest. Rain fall runs around 40 inches or more and unlike the south and west falls almost equally over the 12 months. A giant Maine protected forest would be an incredible addition to the nation's wildlands.

I know. Many on this list think these are impossible dreams. But dreams can happen -- providing people can be found to think beyond the obvious. We somehow must find people who can rise to the challenge of a new/old vision.

It's easy. You just need to put your money where your heart is.

Weary

A few points from the other side.

One of the polls was taken in 'northern' Maine The "Northern Maine" poll Weary is talking about was taken by the "Massachusetts Group". It said that people in Bangor, Maine were for a national park. For those who don't know, Bangor Maine is nowhere near northern Maine. The Penobscot river flows by Bangor and it is tidal not far from Bangor. Tidal from the Atlantic ocean. Madawaska, Caribou, and Fort Kent etc. are many miles away in the real "northern Maine". No tides there. Some folks can't read a map but want a national park. Someone should ask the people in "northern Maine" what they think of the park. I already know the answer. In Greenville, Maine ( sort of in Northern Maine) the Park People were given a box of dirt from Aroostook County in "northern Maine" and were told, "that is all you're going to get".

Now we are calling it a preserve. Semantics. Ms. Quimby said about the National Park that "there are some places no one should go". I wonder if that also applies to "self proclaimed naturalists" too? Preserve? Her track record thus far speaks for itself. After all it's her money.

I don't know why we need this "Massachusetts Group". Do they want a "Maine Group"? I don't think so. I thought we got rid of the "Massachusetts Group" in 1820? Maybe we are talking about "Northern Massachusetts Group"? Route 1? I'm confused now. My head hurts.
:datz

I would like to know what we are going to have to give up for the priviledge of all this federal money?

I wonder who is going to manage this "mecca". I know there will be more people so now we will need reservations. Now that is progress

Despite all the rain we get in Maine we still have forest fires. :D

" A preserve can be anything that Congress decrees it to be"

Now that is scary.

Does it make it easier to grab this land if there is no local government.
People still try to make a living in these places with "no local government". No one wants to talk about the economic problems this Park will cause. How many jobs will be lost in the areas that have local government because of this? This is part of the story of the "Two Maines".

I will agree that a State Forest is the best idea so far. But can it managed
right for everybody? Can people come together on this idea? If this situation goes the national park route what about the present situation regarding monies for the existing parks. I understand there is not enough money now as it is. Another national park seems like a house of cards.

I am not trying to hard on Weary here. The situation in Augusta is deplorable in regards to saving wild places in general, (at least lately) and the funding for the "Land For Maine's Future Board" in particular. It really is quite sad given what Maine has for natural resources. Politicians. I don't understand the reasoning. There is a land bond proposal in Augusta now but I wonder how much it will be watered down?

Weary's matlt.org is, in my opinion, the best thing we have going right now for the future of the Appalachian Trail that we love here in Maine and it is probably the most important thing on this thread.

I hope to hear a presentation from the matlt.org at the Maine ATC meeting in Farmington Maine on April 9th.

Sorry for this long ramble. The snow is melting. I need to hit the trail soon. ;)

TJ aka Teej
03-23-2005, 20:20
One of the polls was taken in 'northern' Maine The "Northern Maine" poll Weary is talking about was taken by the "Massachusetts Group". It said that people in Bangor, Maine were for a national park. For those who don't know, Bangor Maine is nowhere near northern Maine.We should cut flatlanders like Weary a little slack (he lives further south than LL Bean's after all). I think the confusion arises in calling the proposal the 'North Woods' national/state park/preserve. Even to Mainers there's little awareness of things north of Orono. The northern part on Maine doesn't even show up on the TV station weather maps. Just the other day Augusta has rejected the proposal that communities must vote on a National Park before the idea moves forward. Where's the Gov on this issue? Is he still "an enviormentalist's delight"?

MedicineMan
03-24-2005, 03:09
Seems with National Park status the song comes true with mandatory roads,visitor centers, handicap access, ranger stations, etc.....but in the National Monuments I've visited there is much less of that with a certain percentage of the Monument designated as wilderness area that will never have a paved parking lot, but is still accessible by foot.

walkin' wally
03-24-2005, 11:41
We should cut flatlanders like Weary a little slack (he lives further south than LL Bean's after all). I think the confusion arises in calling the proposal the 'North Woods' national/state park/preserve. Even to Mainers there's little awareness of things north of Orono. The northern part on Maine doesn't even show up on the TV station weather maps. Just the other day Augusta has rejected the proposal that communities must vote on a National Park before the idea moves forward. Where's the Gov on this issue? Is he still "an enviormentalist's delight"?

I absolutely meant no disparagement towards Weary. He is doing the best possible thing that can be done in regards to the AT in Maine. I was only referring to a poll done by RESTORE without any regards to common sense.
That particular poll was a slanted effort to twist around the facts.

Like someone said; There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Thanks for what you are doing Weary... matlt.org

From a different perspective folks need to summit the now protected bare ridgeline of Mt Abraham and look to the west at the AT along Spaulding Mt etc. and see the value of his work.