PDA

View Full Version : Total Beginners

cuevashiking
04-24-2011, 20:41
We are looking to do a 3-7 day hike of the Appalachian trail as our first outdoor adventure and have zero clue of what to do, equipment we need, and everything possible I should know.

We are a group of four.

Raul Perez
04-24-2011, 21:07
check out my hiking 101 series on my youtube channel. I go over the basics of gear you should think about bringing:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhum#p/c/946B45E5C5EC6E3D

Kerosene
04-24-2011, 21:14
First, think about going out for a few weekend overnighters, perhaps along the Batona Trail in south Jersey, or somewhere in the Pine Barrens. This will help you figure out the gear you need, make sure that you know how to use it, and whether you really want to go out for a week.

Second, read every thread on this site that looks interesting, especially the Articles forum.

Third, see if you can find a local college with an outdoor program that rents gear. If not, then visit the REI in Marlton (http://www.rei.com/stores/94) and rent from them before you go out and buy a bunch of equipment.

Once you're set to try the AT, I suggest either a 3-day trip, or "successive 3-day trips" punctuated by a re-supply and perhaps a motel stay. If you want to stick close to home, then start at the Delaware Water Gap and hike for 25-30 miles north over 3 days. You can get an AT guidebook from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/).

cuevashiking
04-24-2011, 22:01
Im glad to hear I can rent gear that will help alot, and I will definetly do some research on the Batona Trail. I am in the Pine Barrens are there any specific locations you can name I should consider?

Toolshed
04-24-2011, 22:06
you could hook up with the DV Chapter AMC in Philly and get on a beginner BP trip.

cuevashiking
04-24-2011, 22:08
I think a day hike trip/overnighters will help us get the feel of what we need and all and I will definitely check out the articles on this page.

cuevashiking
04-24-2011, 22:10
(I didnt see a option to edit my post)

Will the REI in Marlton be able to answer questions and help me out aswell or are they just a store? And any literature/other sites I should be looking at.

Panzer1
04-24-2011, 23:07
Will the REI in Marlton be able to answer questions and help me out aswell or are they just a store? And any literature/other sites I should be looking at.

They will be able to answer questions but they also try to sell you very heavy gear.

Panzer

Panzer1
04-24-2011, 23:09
(I didnt see a option to edit my post)

you can not edit your post unless you are a donating member. That is how this site gets money to operate.

Panzer

Raul Perez
04-24-2011, 23:19
They will be able to answer questions but they also try to sell you very heavy gear.

Panzer

Exactly that's why I advocate cottage industry gear. Got me from a total pack weight of 60lbs to less than 25lbs for a five day trip.

Chubbs4U
04-24-2011, 23:29
My REI doesnt push anything on me. Ive actually gone in there, told them I was just checking sizes so I could buy online, and they helped me without any quams. I guess each store/people are different. Also, yes some of the stuff they sell people would say its on the "heavy side" but if your buying a Gregory pack or along those lines they are all pretty much "heavier". Also I do not work for REI...

kayak karl
04-24-2011, 23:50
i haven't found anyone in the Marlton store that has been much help, but there is a young guy in the Conshohocken, PA store who is great. he has thru hiked and is on this site somewhere.

keep reading and use the search engine. the more info you soak in, the better a consumer you'll be.

mweinstone
04-25-2011, 00:04
dear wannanewbehikers,
you need no gear. no site can help you. keep your money in your pocket. matthewski is here. i alone , can singlehandedly get you funtime happy sparkle hiking trip.
i come to your house and make perfectly safe and comfortable and functional light gear out of crap lieing around. then, i sit you down and show you in person how to hike whatever hike you have picked. i make bacon, i set up camp, i bla bla bla,...etc.

as a kids we strapped bags on our bikes and rode to new hope from philly to sleep on the banks of the deleware in lambertville. i can put you in a fun for cheap. all i require is miss janets hugs. ??????

Kerosene
04-25-2011, 09:41
Don't scare him, Matty. He hasn't been on WhiteBlaze long enough to recognize you for the luminary you are! ;)

cuevashiking
04-25-2011, 10:32
Well the Pine Barrens are 15 minutes away from my house so that will be our first test. We have enouph gear laying around to get through a overnight hike of one of the trails there. I have been checking out Mr. Perez Hiking 101 videos on youtube aswell.

Mags
04-25-2011, 11:41
I used to lead a beginners trip every year.

Though written for CO, the advice should apply for almost any mountain environment:

http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer

cuevashiking
04-25-2011, 13:37
I read through your guide Mags it is a big help thankyou!

Gray Blazer
04-25-2011, 13:41
Don't scare him, Matty. He hasn't been on WhiteBlaze long enough to recognize you for the luminary you are! ;)
Happy Birthday, Kerosene.

Don't make it too complicated, and if it's the first time, don't get too far from your car for the first day or so.

cuevashiking
04-25-2011, 14:04
Mhm, there are some really close trails we are going to test out some gear we have around the house, I have some army clothing/packs and such that will be fine.

cuevashiking
04-25-2011, 14:08
Gear seemed to be the biggest issue but as long as it keeps us safe and moving I think we will be fine for a overnighter. We are young men.

cuevashiking
04-25-2011, 14:20
And also we would have to put a car at my end destination so we can get back so if I have never hiked and want to do a overnighter how can I know how far I should need to be going so I can get to my end destination where I placed a vehicle?

cuevashiking
04-25-2011, 22:38
Went through every Hiking 101 video by Raul, and read through Mags guide as well and that has helped me loads. I am actually getting somewhere now for my first trek.

Mags
04-25-2011, 23:58
Went through every Hiking 101 video by Raul, and read through Mags guide as well and that has helped me loads. I am actually getting somewhere now for my first trek.

Don't sweat it. :) Gear, while important, is the least important part of backpacking.

On my first trip, I carried way too much, was out of shape, had a Rambo 'survival knife' knock-off and enough canned goods to stock a 7-11! :D

I had fun anyway... :)

Have the basics, try not to make some of the rookie mistakes many of us (myself included!!!) made, get out there and have fun!

And when you are done? Let us know how it goes!

fredmugs
04-26-2011, 11:13
you could hook up with the DV Chapter AMC in Philly and get on a beginner BP trip.

Great advice. Going out with any type of hiking club will allow you to see different types of gear and ask tons of questions while you're hiking.

kayak karl
04-26-2011, 11:25
Well the Pine Barrens are 15 minutes away from my house so that will be our first test. We have enouph gear laying around to get through a overnight hike of one of the trails there. I have been checking out Mr. Perez Hiking 101 videos on youtube aswell.
sent you the main map. got others. tha Batsto-Lower Forge Hike 6 mi. is most popular. since its hike/paddle in only, it quiet there. any given Sat. am 10-15 hikers set out from Batsto.
there are longer or shorter hikes in the Barrens also.

cuevashiking
04-26-2011, 15:47
Yes the maps are a big help for us thankyou!

cuevashiking
04-27-2011, 16:34
What about the Lehigh Valley Gap, does that loop around to the beginning?